The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shock fluid substitute (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257670)

JoeCB 01-15-2019 09:40 PM

Shock fluid substitute

Just wondering … original shock fluid was some glycerin based stuff, that was hygroscopic (absorbs water). If the car is used exclusively in mild weather, so viscosity change is not an issue can oil of some sort be used? What viscosity will be a question I suppose but surly better for lubricity and rust prevention.
Anyone done this ?

Joe B

JD 1931 01-15-2019 09:45 PM

Re: Shock fluid substitute

I use hydraulic jack oil.

Purdy Swoft 01-15-2019 10:06 PM

Some have told me that they used STP oil treatment in the shocks that they rebuilt .

Gary WA 01-15-2019 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hydraulic jack oil too!!

Flathead 01-15-2019 11:00 PM

What you use for fluid will depend on how good the clearances are in your shocks. If not very tight STP, if tighter maybe jack oil. Either one will lubricate better than the old glycerin.

Kurt in NJ 01-16-2019 12:06 AM

Motorcycle fork oils will give a choice of viscosity
I once found charts of testing of motorcycle fork oils, in the viscosity range automatic transmission fluid worked as well as the best, there also was tested tractor multi viscosity hydraulic oil, ---good antifoam, costs less ,as good as best fork oils

My shocks fit tight, originally I filled with jack oil, but have been topping off with ATF because it was in the oil can, been squirting the springs too, had to tighten up the shocks up when the oil soaked into the springs

Bob Bidonde 01-16-2019 11:14 AM

I have been running with STP for many years in the original socks on my Coupe.

Jim Brierley 01-16-2019 12:15 PM

I used to run an additive similar to STP in my '54 Olds knee-action shocks because they were old and leaked a little. This really firmed up the ride! I assume STP would do the same? You could mix oil and STP to get the ride you want.

MrBruce 01-16-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCB (Post 1716644)
Just wondering … original shock fluid was some glycerin based stuff, that was hygroscopic (absorbs water). If the car is used exclusively in mild weather, so viscosity change is not an issue can oil of some sort be used? What viscosity will be a question I suppose but surly better for lubricity and rust prevention.
Anyone done this ?

Joe B

We just had a shock seminar and used regular 30 W oil in the rebuilt shocks and this guy has restored dozens of them. It really worked nice when put back together. I see Bratton's sells hydraulic oil for shocks, but we used regular 30w motor oil.

Big hammer 01-16-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBruce (Post 1716904)
We just had a shock seminar and used regular 30 W oil in the rebuilt shocks and this guy has restored dozens of them. It really worked nice when put back together. I see Bratton's sells hydraulic oil for shocks, but we used regular 30w motor oil.

This gets me wondering what would a10w30 oil due?

Beater 01-16-2019 08:29 PM

regular light hyd oil here