The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best location for master switch in a Tudor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269205)

johnbuckley 09-09-2019 03:54 AM

Best location for master switch in a Tudor

I'm wanting to fit a battery master cut off switch inside the cabin of a 1930 Tudor (preferably on the "ground " side - not the live ). Where's a good place to fit it?

springerpete 09-09-2019 06:08 AM

Re: Best location for master switch in a Tudor

Put it where you can easily reach it from your seat. It is up to you and how easily you move but it must be convenient to get to. Your choice.

johnbuckley 09-09-2019 06:10 AM

yeah I agree, but I wondered if anyone had a good suggestion as to where those ideals exist in a Tudor ! ( along with a good earth to frame ideally)

Ranchero50 09-09-2019 06:27 AM

Even if you are on the negative side of the battery once the switch is turned off one side will read 12vdc to the other if there is something turned on.

jwmckenzie 09-09-2019 06:43 AM

I mounted one in my pickup in the floorboard, It was just under my right leg close to the seat riser. Had to pick the location so it wouldn't interfere with the frame cross member. I am a big guy, in the middle, so was harder to get to than I expected.

I have also seen them mounted in the front of the seat riser, both on the left and center. You will have to make something to keep the things stored under the seat from getting to the switch lugs.

Great safety add to your A. Had a short in the starter switch that got pretty hot and smoky. as simple turn of the switch and the short was over. Easier to fix when everything is dead

monto 09-09-2019 09:09 AM

A choice could be; run leads through left most end of firewall to switch mounted on side panel at left of and above level of clutch pedal. Easy to reach and out of direct view..

katy 09-09-2019 09:25 AM

Another choice would be a cable or rod operated remote disconnect switch.

Tacoma Bob 09-09-2019 09:42 AM

Put mine between the seats. (30 Tudor)

Dick Steinkamp 09-09-2019 09:43 AM

There are also solenoid operated disconnects. Mount the switch in any handy spot. Here's one from Painless...

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30204

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/plarge/30204.jpg

johnbuckley 09-09-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob (Post 1797233)
Put mine between the seats. (30 Tudor)

I was wondering about that but doesn't it get hit when tilting the seats to access rear compartment ?

1931 flamingo 09-09-2019 12:44 PM

Mine was under the driver's seat, out of site and easy to reach while in the seat.
Paul in CT

BillLee/Chandler, TX 09-09-2019 02:16 PM

Check out the Tech Topics on the Cedar Creek website. There's an article there for just what you asked.

Http://CedarCreekAs.org

Tudortomnz 09-09-2019 03:06 PM

Mine is under floorboards at battery ; have a small spanner/wrench under mat, undo nut on strap to starter,remove. Simplest solution!

Tacoma Bob 09-09-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 1797271)
I was wondering about that but doesn't it get hit when tilting the seats to access rear compartment ?

I will try and take some pics and post. I have modified my seat brackets.

Tacoma Bob 09-09-2019 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I mounted ours.

Synchro909 09-09-2019 05:26 PM

The previous owner had fitted a cut off swtich to my tudor before I bought it. He mounted it on the cross member with access through a hole in the floor board just big enough to poke your finger through. It is completely out of the way and if I put the small box I carry between the seats over it, it is invisible. Even without the box, all that can be seen is a slit in the carpet.
If I were to be installing another switch in a tudor, I'd put it in the same place.

Pete 09-09-2019 08:43 PM

I put them in the cross member, between the driver's legs.

johnbuckley 09-10-2019 03:45 AM

Thank you everyone.

slammin 09-10-2019 12:01 PM

I installed mine under the driver's seat. While I was done there I added a second ground cable to the passenger side of the bellhousing.