The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zenith carburetor rebuild? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266328)

History 07-14-2019 08:39 PM

Zenith carburetor rebuild?

5 Attachment(s)
I just removed the carburetor and took it apart. The Venturi was already in two pieces as someone had ground the one side smooth while the other is sort of ragged. All jets and parts came out freely without any problems. It was/is nasty inside but nothing solid that I found. No piles of rust as I've seen in some photos. The inlet filter was a little rusty and all the jets seem open. (((The throttle lever has a tiny amount of play but I don't know if it warrants a repair, it's so small I can't see it move side to side but I can feel it.)))

I've read now for three days different articles on the zenith and I am slowly becoming educated on its design and function. I have it apart sitting on the bench at my shop and I have a few questions to ask you carb gurus,,,,,,.

I have read about flow tested jets and have found someone offering those jets. Does that mean I'll get what ford, size wise offered? Should I even rebuild with new jets as mine look ok? What about the passage plugs? Should I drill them and clean and replace? I'm ok doing that but if the kit I get doesn't offer perfection what's the use. Should I get a milled Venturi or one that's bead blasted original? (Not making a points car)

Look at the photos please and see if they clue you into how I should proceed.

Thanks for any advice or help with the matter.

I have used carb cleaner on the card before the photos is why it looks so nasty

chrs1961815 07-14-2019 09:01 PM

Re: Zenith carburetor rebuild?

I am not a carb rebuilder by any means but I have done a few and I am of the opinion that if the jets are cleaned, clear, and flow sufficiently, you might as well use them.

I have heard good and bad things about repro venturis, so let someone else chime in.

I never replaced passage plugs before because I haven't needed to. After beadblasting you take air and blow thru the passages and maybe do a little more cleaning with cleaner brushes.

1crosscut 07-14-2019 09:48 PM

Did you use the spray can carburetor cleaner or did you soak the carburetor in one of the gallon cans of carburetor cleaner kits?
Soaking overnight and a bit longer goes a long way in getting a carburetor cleaned up.

History 07-14-2019 11:21 PM

Spray can is all I had.

I watched a video where a 31 tillotson was cleaned with one part vinager, one part water and it did a fantastic job. Not sure if that would work on the zenith. I will get the cleaner in the morning and immerse the carb for cleaning.

chrs1961815 07-15-2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by History (Post 1777400)
Spray can is all I had.

I watched a video where a 31 tillotson was cleaned with one part vinager, one part water and it did a fantastic job. Not sure if that would work on the zenith. I will get the cleaner in the morning and immerse the carb for cleaning.

Vinegar does amazing stuff since it is technically acid. It does eat rust and grime, and if nothing else, it will loosen up all of it to make cleaning easier.

Bob C 07-15-2019 10:06 AM

I like to let the bowl and top sit in rust 911 over night.

Bob

30 Closed Cab PU 07-15-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1777419)
Vinegar does amazing stuff since it is technically acid. It does eat rust and grime, and if nothing else, it will loosen up all of it to make cleaning easier.

Is a final soak of Baking Soda/water recommended to insure neutralizing the vinegar treatment?

F.M. 07-15-2019 11:00 AM

Forget ALL of the above !!..( And Below ) Get all the parts out of it, soak in carb cleaner several days, glass bead it all over, blow it out. Buy a set of flow tested jets, set float level to 5/8 paint it and have a nice drive.. And dont forget a gasket set and new filter..

chrs1961815 07-15-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1777514)
Is a final soak of Baking Soda/water recommended to insure neutralizing the vinegar treatment?

Thats what I do. It will eat metal if you leave it long enough.

[email protected] 07-15-2019 07:59 PM

What does the pot metal Venturi look like? It should come out as a separate part of the carburetor.

F.M. 07-15-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1777689)
What does the pot metal Venturi look like? It should come out as a separate part of the carburetor.

Um----Look at post # 1 Pictures 4 & 5

Tom Endy 07-15-2019 08:09 PM

See the attached link.
Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...etor-11-07.pdf

History 07-24-2019 06:51 AM

I got a rebuild kit from Renners (flow tested jets) along with an original Venturi that was media blasted. I got a Venturi puller from Snyder's along with a new manufactured Venturi. The venturis had differences in size so I went with the original. It was hard to get both sides pulled and I had to take a punch and knock the edges off one side before it would pull it out and it was pancaking it.

I did go full retard and over tighten one of the jets and twisted it off :(. I got the piece out without any trouble and will order a new one as it's hole is smaller than the one that was in the carburetor.

Overall it was pretty easy and I'd recommend that most of you could do it if I can. Of course I haven't tried to start the car yet. If you have any questions ask and I'll try to answer them.

Snyders is super fast on the shipping. It's like the order shows up as soon as I hit submit order. I placed this order two days after a brattons order and the Brattons still isn't here.

Oh,,,,, thank you to everyone who offered help or advice.

Fred K-OR 07-24-2019 06:04 PM

You may want to send it to Bert's in Denver and have it rebuilt. Very good quality shop.