The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New guy (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247312)

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 08:56 AM

New guy

Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum, and it looked like it was geared towards what I was heading for. I have an old Ford Flathead truck that was my grandpa's, and I got the green light to take and get it going. It was supposed to be overhauled before in the 60's, and was drive around for ten years or so. It is now stuck, and would like to know what I am working with. I believe it to be a 46 Ford truck, 5 bolt rims, with a 24 stud engine. It has center water outlests also, but I do not know the exact years yet... I'll try to post pictures.

JSeery 07-05-2018 09:29 AM

Re: New guy

Sounds like it could be a 46-48 engine. Welcome to the Barn! Also be sure to keep in mind the size limit on photos you post. It is ~500Kb so for a lot of photos you need to reduce the size to post.

chap52 07-05-2018 09:29 AM

Your in the right place. Learn to use the search function and you will find that the "Advanced Search" function helps narrow your search parameters. Lots of great information and advice has already been posted.
Add your location to your profile. There may be a flatheader right around the corner from you.
Remember,, "No question is a dumb question". Hopefully someone has already made the mistake your issue addresses..
Welcome aboard, and enjoy the adventure. Chap

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 10:12 AM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm right south of mille lacs lake in Minnesota.

tubman 07-05-2018 10:42 AM

Hello "Flatheadfarner"; we're pretty close, as I am in Breezy Point, north of Brainerd. I know of at least one other member in the area as well. Welcome to the "Barn".

LuckyFordGuy 07-05-2018 11:03 AM

Welcome to the Ford barn nice place

JM 35 Sedan 07-05-2018 11:17 AM

Welcome to the Fordbarn. Pictures would be great. You will get a lot of help here on your truck, plus we can help you post your pictures.

Ron Pilger 07-05-2018 12:28 PM

Best advice that I can offer: don’t be ask questions that you think may be too trivial. The wisdom on this site for original Fords is unsurpassed. Don’t let the odd snide comment discourage you. 99% of Fardbarners are patient and wise teachers.

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 12:33 PM

Thank you once again. Main thing is that this engine is stuck. It's disheartening, but I have freed up a couple engines to get them running again. Also, it's going to need some interior work, seats, headliner, etc. I will have to crop my pictures so I can load them on.

chap52 07-05-2018 03:22 PM

"Engine stuck". Pour a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF down the spark plug holes and let it sit a few days. See if that helps.
Need more info. How are you trying to turn it over? By hand or starter.
I would try a breaker bar on the front pulley nut after the "soak".
I also removed plugs and towed an old tractor in 3 rd gear with a stuck engine to get it to free up.
Get you a Ford Shop Manual for your specific truck. Chap

RalphM 07-05-2018 03:27 PM

Welcome to the Barn!
Look at the serial number prefix, it will tell what year it is. I love the Jailbar trucks!

mfirth 07-05-2018 03:38 PM

Welcome to "the barn" from a relatively new guy myself. One of my grampa's had a 40 PickUp, i wanted so bad when i was 15. NOT allowed. Enjoy, & ditto on what the others have said. By the way, tubman said he is close by, check him out. He's a great guy & helped me LOTS.
mike

1934 07-05-2018 04:05 PM

Welcome! Lots of knowledgable folks here. Good luck with your truck!

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 04:21 PM

Thanks for the kind remarks again. I have been trying to turn it over with a breaker bar and socker like stated. I also have found that in my experience if you take a spark plugs and and we'll a grease zerk in where the porcelain goes, it breaks them free, so I will try that after the atf treatment.

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 05:54 PM

I pulled the plugs today, and as expected, I have rust in the second from last on the passenger side..

Ken Crans 07-05-2018 06:34 PM

Welcome to the Barn... Lots of Ford trucks on here. Plus, the best group of men that know Flatheads.. Good luck!

deuce_roadster 07-05-2018 07:00 PM

Maybe some water came down the carb to an open intake valve. All the advice about soaking the cylinders is good. One trick which may or may not be feasible for you would to be to close the block drains and fill the engine with HOT water. I unstuck engines that way a couple of times, the cylinders expand a tiny bit and let go of the stuck rings. You probably are looking at minimum taking off both heads and looking at the cylinder walls and valves, especially if you can't get the crank to move. Good luck and welcome to the barn, we all look forward to hearing about your progress. Neat that you have your grandpa's truck!

fordwife 07-05-2018 07:05 PM

Here's another idea: On the cylinder that has rust, take a piece of pvc pipe near the same size as the cylinder, put in he hole and tap on it, after soaking. Be careful turning it with the crank bolt. It is possible to bend a rod.

Lanny 07-05-2018 07:18 PM

Some info about derusting below.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239344

Flatheadfarmer 07-05-2018 07:23 PM

I wasn't going to get crazy with the crank bolt because I'm not very good at extracting broken studs anyhow.... Ha. I like the hot water trick, but I might as well get it out and on the stand because I'll have to clean it out anyhow. What options were available for these trucks back in the day? This one has a radio, and heater, full gauge cluster, mph temp, oil, charge. Also, it has some pretty nice cab lights too.