The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Timing gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287570)

miff 09-21-2020 07:18 PM

Timing gear

Timing gear. Getting ready to change my timing gear . I have both types ,fiber and aluminum. What is the general consensus on which is better ?

Jacksonlll 09-21-2020 07:26 PM

Re: Timing gear

I like fiber. Quiet.

katy 09-21-2020 08:15 PM

I prefer the aluminum one. If'n you go for a fibre gear get the laminated one, not the "macerated" one which have been reported to have an early failure rating.

KGBnut 09-21-2020 08:32 PM

On mine, the fiber separated from the aluminum carrier. I didn't want that to happen again so I went aluminum. I heard the warnings about noise, but did it anyway. I notice no difference in engine sound from the aluminum one. It is plenty quiet.

Also, if you are following Les Andrews' instructions, be careful. I seem to remember that he misses one hidden bolt in the timing cover...on the bottom on the right hand side. If you try to force the cover without removing that bolt it will crack.

One more thing, no matter which gear you use I recommend that you drill out the timing dimple in the new gear a little larger. You will thank me when you try to find TDC with the timing pin.

1930-Pickup 09-21-2020 08:57 PM

Aluminum. You'll sleep better at night knowing it will last as long as the car.
They will run quite, as long as your gear back lash isn't too large.

Purdy Swoft 09-21-2020 08:59 PM

It is best to use a clamp to hold the gear while tightening the timing gear nut instead of a rag between the gear teeth . Any other method puts a strain on the teeth when the nut is tightened , especially if a fiber gear is used . I now use only metal gears because the will last longer . Installing a timing gear is a real pain . I prefer the more expensive bronze gear . When bronze isn't available I use the aluminum gear .

TerryH 09-21-2020 10:39 PM

I had a new laminated gear installed a couple of years ago. At 75 and driving about 1,000 miles a year I feel pretty confident. I know many like the aluminum ones, but our very experienced local Model A mechanic said he had changed out quite a few that ended up being too noisy. The laminated should last much longer than the plain fiber type.

Aarongriffey 09-21-2020 11:10 PM

I have never noticed noise from a metal timing gear on a model A.
I think I hear a little extra noise on my ‘51 V8 with aluminum gear but it doesn’t bother me.
I hate roadside restorations.
I have put metal gears in at least 15 model A cars.done at least 15 model A cars.
After doing seven for one guy he never mentioned extra noise.
I remember on one I did with the engine still in the car.
I removed front mount and had to remove bell housing/transmission bolts and pulling the engine partly off the transmission.
Nasty job to change the crankshaft gear. Even a two piece gear.
I prefer the bronze gear, second best would be the aluminum gear.

johnbuckley 09-22-2020 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In about 100000 miles of A driving over a couple of decades I have had 1 fibre gear mash up and 1 fibre gear loosen on the central metal section. So from then on it has metal gears only for me. Les Andrews book diagaram p 1-325 is also slightly wrong .. Here'sa picture from Tom Wesenberg showing correct relation of crank keyway to timing marks. Miff... I wrote an article on how to change the timing gear a few years ago, if you want me to email it you let me know.

fried okra 09-22-2020 09:58 AM

Fiber gears on Pontiacs in the late sixties used to fail.....I know that :(

Jim Brierley 09-22-2020 11:13 AM

I'm a racer of the A/B Fords. I use bronze gears on my Bonneville engine but aluminum on my street engines, which I also run on hill climbs. Aluminum is plenty strong and reliable.

CA Victoria 09-22-2020 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dan Mceachern's gears are perfect-
Aluminum and bronze.
We made a fixture to original Ford specs which enables bench testing a gear set before installation.
Oh and that’s one of Brierley’s R-1 cams behind Dans gear set.

CarlG 09-22-2020 12:13 PM

I have one of Dan Mceachern's bronze timing gears. Be sure to get the matched set crank gears also. Cheapest insurance you can buy.

Purdy Swoft 09-22-2020 02:09 PM

I also have a Dan gear . I now use the modern hex style timing gear nuts .