The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mechanical Brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215492)

1929 02-24-2017 06:55 PM

Mechanical Brakes

I wonder why many hate mechanical brakes, I hit those brakes today, and the car stops on the dime, even with a little skidding. I am glad I didn't listen to a previous friend who told me to get the juice, and spend so much for the change.

modelaer 02-24-2017 06:57 PM

Re: Mechanical Brakes

I agree 100%.

Gunmetal blue2 02-24-2017 07:12 PM

With are brakes you have to brake a brake rod for the brake not to work. That still lives you with three good brakes. The guy's and gal's that have juice brakes, breaks a brake line and they just lost there brakes. OH I forgot they got the emergency brake. lol

Terry, NJ 02-24-2017 07:21 PM

With two cars, a coupe and a Town Sedan having juice brakes and one having mechanicals, guess which I have more trouble with? Guess which I have NO trouble with! As you say, mechanicals stop on a dime. No cylinders to lock up or to leak. I will take mechanicals over juice brakes anytime.
Terry

denis4x4 02-24-2017 07:23 PM

The only reason A's have mechanical brakes while Chevy and Plymouth had hydraulic brakes was due to the fact that Henry was too damn cheap to switch over! By the way, when you use dual cylinder master cylinders, you still have brakes in the event of s cut hose. In 25 years of driving A's with hydraulic brakes, I've never had a leaky wheel cylinder...what am I doing wrong?

J Franklin 02-24-2017 07:24 PM

I think the only advantage to hydraulics would be constantly even brakes.

aermotor 02-24-2017 07:53 PM

I think stopping ability is limited more by the small tire foot print (of large diameter tires) than properly adjusted and maintained mechanical brakes. Just my opinion.

John

1929 02-24-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1434153)
I think stopping ability is limited more by the small tire foot print (of large diameter tires) than properly adjusted and maintained mechanical brakes. Just my opinion.

John

True, Iam sure switching my 21s to 16s made a big difference.

Dick Steinkamp 02-24-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1434153)

John

I agree. When the braking system is able to slide all 4 tires evenly, it really doesn't matter what system is doing the braking.

Of course minimum stopping distance is up to the the driver to apply the brakes JUST PRIOR to lock up.

jm29henry 02-24-2017 09:24 PM

I love mechanical brakes ! It's what I love about a model a ford

KGBnut 02-24-2017 09:24 PM

Henry boasted "the safety of steel, from toe to wheel."

Yes, there are some advantages to hydraulics: self balancing; fewer points to introduce play into the system... but, there is nothing wrong with properly maintained mechanicals. Personally, I like the simplicity (and even the nostalgia) of them. But, that's just me.

Ken

Mike V. Florida 02-24-2017 11:34 PM

It all comes down to proper restoration!

Larry Jenkins 02-24-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1434142)
The only reason A's have mechanical brakes while Chevy and Plymouth had hydraulic brakes was due to the fact that Henry was too damn cheap to switch over! By the way, when you use dual cylinder master cylinders, you still have brakes in the event of s cut hose. In 25 years of driving A's with hydraulic brakes, I've never had a leaky wheel cylinder...what am I doing wrong?

Henry wasn't cheap. When you consider the number and types of parts required for a mechanical system versus a hydraulic system, the cost of mechanicals was probably more expensive.

The key here is that all the mechanical parts must be to factory specs. When they are, mechanicals are arguably superior to hydraulics.

I have done both.

Drive Shaft Dave 02-25-2017 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1434268)
It all comes down to proper restoration!

Where I used to work , a street rodder friend of mine had a stock Model A, he wanted to know how to rebuild the brake system. I gave him the Les Andrews book for reference, a week later he returned it to me and said , that's to much work. Go figure!:confused:

Chippy Minton 02-25-2017 03:39 AM

I like the mechanical brakes on my Model A as they suit the dynamics of the car and encourage me to drive within it's limitations. There is no need for a more powerful hydraulic system in this case. With my modern cars I'll stick with the assisted, ABS, all round hydraulic discs that are linked to the road by wide, low profile, high performance tyres.

eagle 02-25-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy Minton (Post 1434319)
I like the mechanical brakes on my Model A as they suit the dynamics of the car and encourage me to drive within it's limitations. There is no need for a more powerful hydraulic system in this case. With my modern cars I'll stick with the assisted, ABS, all round hydraulic discs that are linked to the road by wide, low profile, high performance tyres.

"More powerful"?? Skidding is skidding. Properly installed hydraulic brakes can reduce the pressure on the pedal, but that doesn't mean they are more powerful. Poorly done hydraulic s are a safety disaster, as are poorly done mechanicals.

leo 02-25-2017 08:47 AM

Hey denis4X4, maybe Plymouth but not Chevrolet. I had a 1933 Chevrolet coupe in high school and that had mechanical brakes. They were cable activated and as I recall they were every bit as functional as juice brakes.

Cape Codder 02-25-2017 12:00 PM

I have to agree with Eagle in what he has said,"Poorly done hydraulic s are a safety disaster, as are poorly done mechanicals." Shortly after I bought my car I came VERY close to "T" Bone a car at a local intersection. I hope the reason the accident didn't happen was because I was on my way to church. Shortly after the incident I jacked the car in the air and removed ALL of the Hydraulic equipment and rebuilt, replaced and adjusted the NEW mechanical system. I did replace the original drums with cast iron ones. I have had over 12 years of driving on these brakes with NO problems at all other then an occasional "click" on the adjusters.

heneste 02-25-2017 01:56 PM

I think as long as the mechanicals are kept adjusted properly, you shouldn't have issues being able to stop quickly. The juice brakes require less maintenance but when they fail, usually the entire system fails. A little more routine maintenance is the trade off but well worth it in my books.

califfarmer 02-25-2017 02:52 PM

When I purchased my phaeton it had a sloppy hydraulic brake setup. I'm almost done putting back to the way Henry intended