The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   White crap in carb bowl - Pic (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269836)

burner31 09-22-2019 01:21 PM

White crap in carb bowl - Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what the white crap is inside my carb bowl?
I drive this car almost everyday, only run pure gas, none of that corn garbage.
started running real bad, this is what I found.
Last time carb was taken apart was maybe six months ago.
Clean it all out, chased all the channels/holes and it's running 100% better now.

Jeff/Illinois 09-22-2019 02:04 PM

Re: White crap in carb bowl - Pic

Keith my first thought before reading your post was 'Ethanol' but you are running pure gasoline and driving the car regularly so it's not sitting a lot, sure looks like old gas/water contamination but that must not be the case.

Years ago a friend with a Chevy Blazer running Ethanol when it first reared it's ugly head had the same gooey white junk in his carburetor.

Interesting. I'm anxious to see what others say:eek:

Y-Blockhead 09-22-2019 02:05 PM

Looks like you may be getting water in your gas, causing corrosion. I use Sea Foam in my gas to absorb any 'moisture'.

Werner 09-22-2019 02:21 PM

Hallo Keith,

this looks like zinc alcoholates. These are caused by fuels containing alcohol.

burner31 09-22-2019 04:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Interesting about the ethanol/alcohol comments.
That was my thought also...but I never buy that for my older cars.
I usually get my gas at Walmart, they have pure gas in one pump and 10% ethanol in the other, of course the pure gas costs more.
And remember, this is Walmart, and who's to say that both pumps don't pump from the same tank...how would we ever know?

jb-ob 09-22-2019 05:10 PM

Been there, seen that.

I supposed it was our 'modern gas' not getting along with a zinc carburetor.

Maybe not in your case but possibly modern formulated gasoline attacking pervious gas tank sealers (sloshing compounds).

Unless the gasoline is color tinted (like kerosene), how would you know you received pure gas or something else by mistake.

JB

Blue-Truck-Nut 09-22-2019 05:32 PM

I've seen that also, I have an old loader that used to routinely do the same thing. I was running alcohol free gas also. Tank was getting water from somewhere. The drip edge on the hood was dripping on the tank vent. Resolved that problem, and drain the carb when I park it for more than a couple days.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Werner 09-23-2019 12:50 AM

I use allways a little cup "Marvel's Mystery Oil" in the fuel tank. And never take gasoline with ethanol.

rotorwrench 09-23-2019 11:01 AM

Tilotson's would be vulnerable to corrosion. The cast iron one's would have a different form of corrosion but they are all vulnerable to modern fuels in one way or another.

Farrell In Vancouver 09-23-2019 11:27 AM

Any chance your fuel tank has had a sealer installed? I once tried a tank sealer by the name of Kreem and it did not like the gasoline started to pollute the fuel system with a similar looking white goo

Tom Wesenberg 09-23-2019 06:17 PM

Does the gas pump send both crap gas and better gas through the same hose?
This will always give you some crap gas, as that was also my first thought for the white crap.

MMO is good stuff, and I always use it in all my old cars and small engines, along with the non corn crap gas.

Werner 09-24-2019 12:22 AM

Please tell me, what is gas with corn bagage?

Y-Blockhead 09-24-2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1802432)
Please tell me, what is gas with corn bagage?

Ethanol...

Fhane 09-24-2019 06:44 AM

Try taking a sample of your gas in a glass jar. Add a small amount of water to the jar. Let the jar sat for a few hours. If alcohol is present you will see phase separation.

burner31 09-24-2019 08:49 AM

No tank sealer, and I'll give the gas in a jar test a try.
Corn gas comes from a different pump then the pure.
I've been using the MMO at each fill up.
The only way I can think of water getting into the tank is when I wash the car.

Fred A 09-24-2019 10:57 AM

I'd like to blame the Corn Belt for jamming us with their ethanol but here in California the ruling party finds ways to increase cost of using a car, evidenced by the fuel being at least a dollar more than others. My old cars with zinc carbs usually look worse than those of the OP. My two-stroke tools use real gasoline with the oil pre-mixed and look like new. Good Luck: Fred A

TerryH 09-24-2019 06:02 PM

There are thousands of Model A’s in California, and all have no choice but to use the ethanol gas. I would prefer regular gas, but after 13 years of using the so-called “crap gas” I have had zero problems with it, and don’t know of any other A owners with issues either. Apparently it is selective where it really harms Model A’s......