The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Optima battery support bracket/carrier for a '34 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268003)

petehoovie 08-16-2019 03:31 PM

Optima battery support bracket/carrier for a '34

Given that the Group 2LF battery is no longer available and the Optima 6 volt battery is now taller, I'm looking for a underfloor battery support bracket/carrier to replace the stock Group 2LF carrier in my '34 - a carrier that will accommodate the taller 6 volt Optima battery. Ideally this carrier will mount the Optima vertically using the same mounting bolts & holes as the original battery support bracket. I don't want to drill additional holes or make other modifications other than replacing the original bracket/holder and I don't want to relocate the battery to the firewall. If any of you have done this, please post pictures of your underfloor installation....

G.M. 08-16-2019 03:53 PM

Re: Optima battery support bracket/carrier for a '34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1788687)
Given that the Group 2LF battery is no longer available and the Optima 6 volt battery is now taller, I'm looking for a underfloor battery support bracket/carrier to replace the stock Group 2LF carrier in my '34 - a carrier that will accommodate the taller 6 volt Optima battery. Ideally this carrier will mount the Optima vertically using the same mounting bolts & holes as the original battery support bracket. I don't want to drill additional holes or make other modifications other than replacing the original bracket/holder and I don't want to relocate the battery to the firewall. If any of you have done this, please post pictures of your underfloor installation....

Here is what I did on a 34 P/U G.M.

bobH 08-16-2019 04:11 PM

I made a carrier that is a duplicate of the original, except made a hair taller for the Optima. No pictures, but be assured, it looks like original except for the height dimension. Are you willing to accept that it hangs lower?

petehoovie 08-16-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobH (Post 1788696)
I made a carrier that is a duplicate of the original, except made a hair taller for the Optima. No pictures, but be assured, it looks like original except for the height dimension. Are you willing to accept that it hangs lower?

A carrier to accommodate the taller Optima would only hang about an inch lower than the original bracket which is of no concern to me. I do have a NOS original bracket I could modify but I'd rather have a bracket that fits the Optima's dimensions. I'm searching to find someone who could custom make a battery carrier to meet my needs. ...

VeryTangled 08-16-2019 06:41 PM

JM 35 Sedan has done what you're lookinh for. Search his past posts, he's done pics.

petehoovie 08-16-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryTangled (Post 1788736)
JM 35 Sedan has done what you're lookinh for. Search his past posts, he's done pics.

Thank you, Jeff, but I've seen JM's adaptation for his '35 and it is not applicable to what I want for my '34 in that he mounts his Qptima battery horizontally. I want to be able to drop the battery into place from above through the floorboard as is normal for a '34....

JM 35 Sedan 08-16-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1788770)
Thank you, Jeff, but I've seen JM's adaptation for his '35 and it is not applicable to what I want for my '34 in that he mounts his Qptima battery horizontally. I want to be able to drop the battery into place from above through the floorboard as is normal for a '34....

You must have seen someone elses mounting. Mine mounts the Optima vertically.

petehoovie 08-17-2019 02:11 AM

Checked and you're right. It was someone else's '35....Battery mounting in a '35 is entirely different than in a '34....

Terry,OH 08-17-2019 07:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is not mine but it looks good. Modify size to fit.

JSeery 08-17-2019 09:02 AM

I really like that bracket Terry, thanks for posting it.

petehoovie 08-17-2019 01:23 PM

This stainless steel box on eBay shows some potential > https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DROP-OU....c100033.m2042

Overall Dimensions: 11 1/4" Wide, 7 3/4" Deep, and 9 1/4" Tall

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uOgAA...Jd3/s-l400.jpg