The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   adjustable lifters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267175)

51 MERC-CT 08-03-2019 02:21 PM

Re: adjustable lifters

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnkeore (Post 1783659)
Ok, another question. There are lifters advertised as "Isky Lifters", are these HI Lift Johnson's or off shore? Isky has always had a excellent reputation.

Frank

The "Isky lifters" being sold using their own part number appear to be solid HI Lift Johnson's but you would have to contact Iskenderian or the seller to get that info for sure.

Pete 08-03-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1783566)
This is an example of a fake Johnson hollow lifter.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1564859306

Lifters are not radiused on the face. They are TAPERED.

Aside from that, the fake lifters can be refaced properly and the screws can be re-machined so they stay put, BUT, do you want to take a chance on the material they are made from?
No one seems to know what that is. Is it virgin cast iron that has the face only induction hardened, or are they made from old melted down cast iron sewer pipe and old sash weights????

If you absolutely have to have adjustable lifters, go with the heavy USA made ones. They are fine for stock and mild street engines.

Robin 47 ford pickup 08-03-2019 08:47 PM

Ok the auction # on Evilbay was 372718954599 under, Ford flathead 8BA 21A 21 stud hollow adjustable tappet lifter mercury Johnson description and read the info & look at the sold listings.
let me know what you all think?
cheers Robin

51 MERC-CT 08-03-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin 47 ford pickup (Post 1783789)
Ok the auction # on Evilbay was 372718954599 under, Ford flathead 8BA 21A 21 stud hollow adjustable tappet lifter mercury Johnson description and read the info & look at the sold listings.
let me know what you all think?
cheers Robin

Those hollow lifters are the same ones that are being referred to in the letter in post #11 above.(suggest that you read it) They are not Hi Lift Johnson nor does the listing in Ebay say that they are.

34PKUP 08-03-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1783786)
Lifters are not radiused on the face. They are TAPERED.

Hi Lift Johnson calls it a "Camface Crown"

Pete 08-03-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 1783808)
Hi Lift Johnson calls it a "Camface Crown"

They are free to call it anything they want but it is still a taper, which makes the surface cone shaped.

clo 08-04-2019 12:09 AM

Red’s headers sells the adjustable hollow lifters. I’ve spoken to quite a few Flathead guys that use them. I haven’t heard anything negative like the lifters loosening up.

Robin 47 ford pickup 08-04-2019 08:50 PM

Ok , what is the chance they are any good, and i see they have sold quite a few sets now, and there is no negative feedback .My big question still remains has anyone used or know of anyone that has bought these lifters ?

Ol' Ron 08-05-2019 09:40 AM

Trust is always an issue. We all like to save money, and building a flathead is getting expensive, so you have to go with the people that build engines loke Gary (gofast) Or Reds they have the "right stuff" Not sure if Nax VP has them. but they are in business to help people and stand behind their products. IMHO

Pete 08-05-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1783810)
They are free to call it anything they want but it is still a taper, which makes the surface cone shaped.

I was wrong on that. They do have grinders capable of grinding a sphere.
While most of their lifters seem to work, that is the WRONG way to do it.
With a sphere, you have single POINT contact instead of flat line contact resulting in much higher unit pressure.
Isky found out early on that a spherical surface had very poor wear characteristics. With a race cam they did not last to the main event.