The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brake T Bolt (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255840)

Jeff M 12-09-2018 03:06 AM

Brake T Bolt

2 Attachment(s)
Is this the correct 91A-2150 front brake T bolt on the 39-48 passenger cars? It only has one outlet hole other than the inverted end that looks to screw into a hose. I've seen the reproduction bolts with that part number and they have two outlet holes on the side.

flathead48 12-09-2018 08:07 AM

Re: Brake T Bolt

Not sure but may go on passenger side where it dead ends at front wheel .

51 MERC-CT 12-09-2018 08:17 AM

Either one or two holes will work on the banjo bolt.
If it will make you feel better just drill the hole thru the other side.

36rgtop 12-09-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flathead48 (Post 1703855)
Not sure but may go on passenger side where it dead ends at front wheel .

Never saw a 'T' fitting or banjo bolt on the "passenger side"

51woodie 12-09-2018 09:33 AM

The banjo bolt on my '46 only had one hole, and there is no banjo bolt used on the passengers side. The brake hose on the passengers side clips in to a bracket on the frame, and the fitting on the steel line from the drivers side threads in to the end of the brake hose.

Kube 12-09-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M (Post 1703839)
Is this the correct 91A-2150 front brake T bolt on the 39-48 passenger cars? It only has one outlet hole other than the inverted end that looks to screw into a hose. I've seen the reproduction bolts with that part number and they have two outlet holes on the side.

That's the one...

Jeff M 12-09-2018 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm putting hydraulic brakes on a Model A and ran the lines like the '39-'48 cars. I guess I was over thinking it, I figured it needed two holes in the banjo bolt to move fluid to the passenger line. Since the bolt shoulder drops off where the hole is drilled and each side of the brass block has copper crush washers I guess the fluid just moves around the bolt and fills all the space where it needs to go.

Flathead Fever 12-11-2018 09:38 PM

I've had some problems with the new copper brake washers leaking that are being sold. They are just flat smooth sided copper washers. The originals have the nice ridges in them that make the seal. I would reuse an old one with ridges before I would use a smooth one. I'm sure the correct ones are out there for sale somewhere?

fordlovr 12-12-2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flathead Fever (Post 1704846)
I've had some problems with the new copper brake washers leaking that are being sold. They are just flat smooth sided copper washers. The originals have the nice ridges in them that make the seal. I would reuse an old one with ridges before I would use a smooth one. I'm sure the correct ones are out there for sale somewhere?

Well then! Iv'e been having a problem with a small leek at the back of the master cyl. All new parts. I think there is a copper washer there. might swap for an old one I have somwhere.Thanks for sowing the seed!!

Phil Gillespie 12-12-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordlovr (Post 1704888)
Well then! Iv'e been having a problem with a small leek at the back of the master cyl. All new parts. I think there is a copper washer there. might swap for an old one I have somwhere.Thanks for sowing the seed!!

Bryn,
If you do have a copper washer there you will get a better seal if the washer is annealed, before its fitted. heated up to a red heat then quenched in water. This will do the trick for seaing.
Phil NZ

fordlovr 12-13-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie (Post 1704890)
Bryn,
If you do have a copper washer there you will get a better seal if the washer is annealed, before its fitted. heated up to a red heat then quenched in water. This will do the trick for seaing.
Phil NZ

Thanks Phil, Will try that