The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Carburetor question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203236)

Bob from Northport 08-24-2016 10:31 PM

Carburetor question

What is it about the float level that creates the problem where a vehicle will stall when coming to a stop, then starts back easily and runs fine. We have a 30 sport coupe right now that runs and starts and idles great, but stalls coming to a stop.

Dave Mellor NJ 08-24-2016 10:50 PM

Re: Carburetor question

Common model a fault. The float pivots front to back,shutting off the needle valve when stopping. That's why it was changed to side to side on the Model B

ian Simpson 08-24-2016 11:41 PM

Use the hand throttle to rev up as you come to a stop. Idle down once you are stationary.

Synchro909 08-24-2016 11:46 PM

This is caused by your float level being wrong. Set it correctly and all will be well. Les Andrews' book gives simple directions.

J Franklin 08-25-2016 12:04 AM

If all is adjusted correctly the stall will only happen on panic or very hard stops. I think the cause is too much gas to the jet in the bowl. I think shutting the float valve would not stall the car unless it was shut for quite a long interval or the fuel was Very low in the bowl

RandyinUtah 08-25-2016 12:30 AM

I have driving my Model A 35 years with a Zenith carb and do not experience the stalling on a hard stop. I believe having the correct float level is the reason for this.

Ed Saniewski 08-25-2016 05:50 AM

Franklin, I have thought the same thing. The float closes the gas flow to the bowl, and I cannot believe you will use up all the gas in the bowl while decelerating to a stop.

talwrench 08-25-2016 08:13 AM

MY 30 P/U has a rebuilt carb. Has run great for six months. This past weekend it started to stall at stop signs. Do I have the same problem with float heigth?
Was running great!!

katy 08-25-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

MY 30 P/U has a rebuilt carb. Has run great for six months. This past weekend it started to stall at stop signs. Do I have the same problem with float heigth?
Try adjusting it down a little and see what happens.

Brentwood Bob 08-25-2016 01:30 PM

The secondary well might be plugged. Would not hurt to pull the carb apart (Zenith) And check the idle circuit.

Keith True 08-25-2016 04:02 PM

If the car was fine before I would lean toward the secondary well too.The float level doesn't change with use,unless something goes bad.If the little holes to feed the well get plugged when you stop fast the well empties and can't replenish fast enough to recover.Seems there can be a problem with the secondary well where the gas rushes up and floods a little,but I can't quite remember the particulars about having that problem.I've seen lots of people that took their carbs all apart,and cleaned them,but didn't take out the secondary well.I've had to drill quite a few of them out.Use a 3/8 drill,reverse spiral,and at some point during the drilling the well will spin itself out.

Tom Endy 08-25-2016 05:49 PM

A Model A Zenith carburetor by design should not stall at a stop. Five million Model A's were delivered new. I doubt they stalled at a stop when new.

Most Zeniths today have been molested in one way or the other over the years. If properly restored they will not stall at a stop. There are a lot of things to consider during the restoration process. The fitting of the throttle plate is as important as the proper float level to avoid stalling at a stop.

Secondary wells that are difficult to remove can easily be removed by heating the casting in the area of the well and dunking it in cold water. It will easily unscrew then.

Tom Endy

Axeman71 08-29-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1344121)
Try adjusting it down a little and see what happens.

Totally agree.. Float needs to come down

Synchro909 08-30-2016 02:56 AM

Yup, a washer under the seat.

bogdonj 08-30-2016 08:43 AM

Float needs to be adjusted to proper height or get in the habit of using the hand throttle when coming to a stop. Bring it down a notch or two until you have stopped then return it back to the up right position.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-30-2016 09:34 AM

Henry Ford KNEW it was a poor design, that's why he CHANGED it.
In unpredictable stop & go traffic, I just set the hand throttle up, a couple of notches. Generally, the better the BRAKES, the more often the STALL--LOL
Bill W.