The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So...what happened here? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148886)

swo4rd 09-06-2014 12:28 PM

So...what happened here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...US_Cars_Trucks

Was this a case of a person working in the body shop steeling a car one part at a time so he winds up with a Convertible Victoria Sedan...Coupe????? If I was wealthy, I buy this and straighten it out.

Mike V. Florida 09-06-2014 01:41 PM

Re: So...what happened here?

WOW sure does look like is was made from a bunch of parts. 400A from the windows up (custom top) and a vicky from the windows down.

Roadster62 09-06-2014 01:46 PM

It's an A400 or 400A Street Rod, what is the question? Bob

DougVieyra 09-06-2014 02:00 PM

I am fearful that when I hear of how many Model A's are left (there was a tread on F.B. Forum, awhile back) that some of us are counting this (view link) as being an 'A'. If that is the case, I fear we really do have far fewer "Model A Fords" than some have suggested. This eBay example is how we hear of such large numbers of 'survivors' . So many of the 100,000 to 200,000 'survivors' really look like this example, and the many Brookline / Brookville, Shay, etc. 'Model A's'.

This is what causes me to stick to my original lower (100,000) estimate of how many Model A's have survived from Henry's Ford Factory.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif - 64 degrees at noon

ronn 09-06-2014 02:20 PM

Doug,
you are spot on...............
I completely agree. Just look at what is for sale on the bay...........
only one third could be considered Model A's in my book.

darrylkmc 09-06-2014 02:24 PM

He must have sold the Green Fenders and White Wall Tires to finance the build.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Mike V. Florida 09-06-2014 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadster62 (Post 941240)
It's an A400 or 400A Street Rod, what is the question? Bob

Look at the body lines what body style did it start out as;

Roadster62 09-06-2014 03:02 PM

Thanks Mike, I see the features clearly now. Before the owner/builder gets nailed to a cross what did he start with, and how many "Restorers" walked past his starting pile and complain that they could not afford it. Bob

swo4rd 09-06-2014 10:40 PM

Thanks for the line up Mike...now that I can see the three together, it is looking like only one car, a Victoria Coupe, succumbed to the cutter...to make it into an ersatz 400A. Bob's points are well taken...when cars like this come up for sale, someone needs to step up to the table and put some cash down. On the other hand, it is the hot rodders who are a great source of original parts when they pull a model A apart...I just wish they would get those parts moving into the market faster before they become so rust pitted, they are of no use...

It is for sure, that nothing is going to stop those who see the beauty of the Ford Model A on top of a well engineered frame with a hot piece of iron on the the front and I certainly admire some of the designs and work...but that said, I still like mine the way Ed Timlin in dusty ol McAllen Texas taught me to make em in 1963...all original.

H. L. Chauvin 09-06-2014 11:47 PM

I'd buy it ..... except that the driver's side exterior door handle is sagging ....... y'all know the purists Model A judges would knock off lots of points for that.

bart78 09-06-2014 11:56 PM

I would not buy it. Because I think it is ugly. How do we know he ruined a good car. Look over on the HAMB and see what some of those guys start with. And then what they end up with. Most hot rods from what I have seen don't start out as good cars.

Mike V. Florida 09-07-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart78 (Post 941488)
I would not buy it. Because I think it is ugly. How do we know he ruined a good car. Look over on the HAMB and see what some of those guys start with. And then what they end up with. Most hot rods from what I have seen don't start out as good cars.

Beg to differ with your wording.

Most completed model A hot rods from what I have seen don't start out as good cars.

Most uncompleted model A project hot rods from what I have seen have started out as good cars.

Most traditional hot rods from what I have seen have start out as good cars.

Look at face book under "traditional Hot Rods" and see the cars they have started with.

bart78 09-07-2014 12:36 AM

I have seen some good cars turned to hot rods. And today I would say that most of those are being finished. For a person to fork over what some ask for these cars now. They usually finish. Most of these guys can't afford to pay the prices of these cars. I myself don't like to see real good cars turned to hot rods. But I like hot rods just as much as I like them stock. There are going to be many of these popping up soon. Good cars and bad cars. There are still quite a few that most don't know about.