The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bronze Model A Ford Rear Main Thrust Plate & Oil Seal installation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276001)

ghalperin 01-27-2020 07:25 PM

Bronze Model A Ford Rear Main Thrust Plate & Oil Seal installation

3 Attachment(s)
My thrust clearance quadrupled after a 75 mile drive. It’s about .030 now.
Attachment 420228
Attachment 420229

I picked up this bronze Model A Ford Rear Main Thrust Plate & Oil Seal
Attachment 420230

I searched for info on the install, but I haven’t found anything. How do I remove the Babbitt thrust portion of the rear main? I was thinking of just scraping it off with a sharp scraper. There must be a better way.

J Franklin 01-27-2020 07:43 PM

Re: Bronze Model A Ford Rear Main Thrust Plate & Oil Seal installation

Read here- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=bronze+thrust

There was a better step by step pictorial write-up on the barn but I couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else knows where it is hiding.

ghalperin 01-27-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1845918)
Read here- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=bronze+thrust

There was a better step by step pictorial write-up on the barn but I couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else knows where it is hiding.

Thanks for the link, it’s very helpful.

ghalperin 01-27-2020 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tonight I pulled the crankshaft and started whittling away. It took about 30 minutes with a breakaway utility knife. It almost looks like the end thrust was poured separately from the main bearing. There’s a dirty section in the center that looks like it was not bonded well with the thrust bearing part.

Attachment 420243

Anyways, the bronze part fits perfectly. I’ll check the end play after I get everything cleaned up.

Attachment 420244

I’m replacing the rod nuts with ARP nuts. Should I do the same with the main cap nuts?

Mulletwagon 01-28-2020 08:03 AM

Interesting post; please continue the story and photos. Thanks.

rotorwrench 01-28-2020 09:38 AM

I know this might be a touchy subject but I was curious about who did the babbitt bearing work?

Dave in MN 01-28-2020 09:42 AM

ghalperin,
I have used over 150 of these combination thrust and seal in rebuilding A engines with insert bearings. To avoid a leak, bed the combination thrust and seal with a sealant. Permatex #2 works well.
Good Day!

ghalperin 01-28-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1846048)
I know this might be a touchy subject but I was curious about who did the babbitt bearing work?

The engine was rebuilt in the '70s, I doubt if they're still around. The car was in Napa for decades.

ghalperin 01-28-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in MN (Post 1846049)
ghalperin,
I have used over 150 of these combination thrust and seal in rebuilding A engines with insert bearings. To avoid a leak, bed the combination thrust and seal with a sealant. Permatex #2 works well.
Good Day!

Thanks for the tip, I plan on it.

redmodelt 01-29-2020 01:12 AM

When doing new Babbitt, MAKE SURE THE THRUST FACES ARE AS SMOOTH AS THE JOURNAL ON THE CRANK. That means both ends. If they are not will act like a file and remove material same as a file would.

Nosetime 01-29-2020 04:50 PM

Glen, when I put mine back together I used ARP rod nuts and headstuds, like Jim suggests in his book. I also bought the modern sealed main bolt kit from Brattons or Snyders.

ghalperin 03-24-2020 03:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After completely disassembling, adjusting all the babbett's and reassembling, it still knocked. I sent the rods out to have the wrist pin bushings changed. When I was cleaning it up for reassembly, again, I noticed a small mark on the center of the combustion chambers and matching marks on two pistons. I only had .019" between the piston and the head. I had .020" shaved off the tops of the new pistons and all is good.
Attachment 425302

Attachment 425300

That little tit on the bottom side of the piston was expanding just enough to kiss the head.

Attachment 425301

MikeK 03-24-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghalperin (Post 1845968)
. . . There’s a dirty section in the center that looks like it was not bonded well with the thrust bearing part.

That dirty looking section is actually torn apart alloy from internal porosity and shrinkage. Caused by a combination of dissolved gas from a lot of remelt in the heat, overheated alloy resulting in loss of nucleation points, and failure to immediately and properly compact the poured shells by peening after pouring. That caused the thrust face to easily compact in short order when the engine was run.

If it all happened in just a few miles as you state I question the integrity of all three mains, and not just the side faces. If the same guy did the rods you may be in for more problems.

As for your desire to change from stock nuts with cotters to ARP nuts, I'd call that overkill unless you're planning some serious mods and racing.

ghalperin 03-24-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1865748)
That dirty looking section is actually torn apart alloy from internal porosity and shrinkage. Caused by a combination of dissolved gas from a lot of remelt in the heat, overheated alloy resulting in loss of nucleation points, and failure to immediately and properly compact the poured shells by peening after pouring. That caused the thrust face to easily compact in short order when the engine was run.

If it all happened in just a few miles as you state I question the integrity of all three mains, and not just the side faces. If the same guy did the rods you may be in for more problems.

As for your desire to change from stock nuts with cotters to ARP nuts, I'd call that overkill unless you're planning some serious mods and racing.

Sorry to be misleading in my initial post. The engine has not been apart since the '70s. I was driving it a little too hard on the toll road and afterwards is when I noticed the nocking. All of the babbitt clearances were very close to .0015". I only ended up adjusting a couple.