The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Simpl question for the right person------maybe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211608)

harryc 12-28-2016 12:11 PM

Simpl question for the right person------maybe

I run a regular model A distributor with modern points and condenser and 12 volts. I decided I would try a high performance coil out of curiosity. I know little of automotive electronics. When I connected the new coil my car stumbled and would hardly run. I put the old coil back on and it ran fine. I tried another time making absolutely sure everything was connected properly and had the same result. So now I am back to the older coil with my car running fine. I don't get it . Switching the coil should be simple! Could the condenser have anything to do with it? Any suggestions?

Y-Blockhead 12-28-2016 12:14 PM

Re: Simpl question for the right person------maybe

Maybe a little more info... which "High Performance" coil? What's the ohm rating?

I'm running a 40611 Pertronix Flame-Thrower 3 ohm coil with no problems.

AL in NY 12-28-2016 12:19 PM

harryc - if you added a higher output voltage coil, you may want to check and be sure the spark is not arcing to ground or to another cylinder.

super flat 12-28-2016 12:25 PM

The new coil may need an external resistor and the other may have one built in. Gary

DaWizard 12-28-2016 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say that 9 out of 10 new 12v coils will be needing an external ballast resistor for use with points.

This should look similar to this one;

Y-Blockhead 12-28-2016 01:20 PM

A 3 ohm coil will NOT need a resistor, that's why I asked.

DougT 12-28-2016 02:31 PM

the opposite could also be the case. Maybe he has a resistor with his old coil and the new coil doesn't require one. Then you wouldn't have enough voltage to run the new coil.

ronn 12-28-2016 02:50 PM

I put the old coil back on and it ran fine.

so why are you messing with it then?

Patrick L. 12-28-2016 03:00 PM

A new 'high performance' coil is not going improve anything as long as everything is as it should be.

The fellas covered it, points should only have 6-8 volts feeding them requiring a resistor somewhere, either outside of the coil or internal. Ohm reading will tell or the coil should have it printed on it maybe.

Also the new coil could oil filled. They do not like to be tipped upside down. You could try pointing the connections skyward and see if that helps.

Jim/GA 12-28-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1405844)
I put the old coil back on and it ran fine.

so why are you messing with it then?

Old engineer's saying:
"If it's not broken, mess with it until it is!" :D

harryc 12-28-2016 09:04 PM

my old coil was a standard coil for a 1968 mustang. It used an external resistor. My new coil was a petronix 1.5 ohm which does not require an external resistor. Everything was connected correctly--honest. The reason for wanting to switch was to see if I could get my plugs to burn a little cleaner. My problem may be because I require a coil with 3.0 ohm rating-not really sure

mike657894 12-28-2016 09:40 PM

are you sure your battery is fully charged older stuff can sometimes run on lower voltage where something high performance may take more juice to operate properly.

CWPASADENA 12-28-2016 09:51 PM

Put a resistor on your coil. 1.5 ohms is not enough resistance for the primary side of your ignition system. The primary current will go up and You will burn the points.

As Al in NY stated, you may now have way too much voltage to the plugs that something may be arcing to ground.

Even modified Model A Fords do not require extremely high voltage to the plugs.

My opinion,

Chris W.

harryc 12-28-2016 10:33 PM

I'll bet you're right. When I bought the coil I was told no resistor was needed so that was how I connected it. I just looked over the info that came with the coil and it says a resistor is needed for a 4cyl application. I'll find out tomorrow.

Tom Wesenberg 12-29-2016 01:21 AM

Being a 4 cylinder won't matter for the coil and resistor. Using 12 volts on a 1 1/2 ohm coil instead of 6 volts is what does matter, and makes the resistor necessary.

harryc 12-29-2016 03:27 PM

today I put the new 1.5 ohm petronix on the A using a resistor as suggested ( even though instructions that came with it said no resistor needed). It ran great and idles smoother than with the old coil

Y-Blockhead 12-29-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 1406318)
today I put the new 1.5 ohm petronix on the A using a resistor as suggested ( even though instructions that came with it said no resistor needed). It ran great and idles smoother than with the old coil

Harry, 1.5 ohms isn't enough for 12v. The 1.5 is for 6v. You need the Pertronix coil that I mentioned way back in in post #2... :p:p

harryc 12-29-2016 04:43 PM

You are right . The petronix webpage indicates that but the info included with the 1.5 ohm coil doesn't. The 1.5 does work great with a resistor however. Actually I already have a 3.0 on order so I won't need a resistor---thanks

Kurt in NJ 12-29-2016 06:54 PM

burning the plugs cleaner probably has more to do with the mixture being rich

harryc 12-29-2016 07:15 PM

Maybe but I run as lean as I can without it sputtering