The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas gauge reads backwards (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78826)

Semper Fi 08-04-2012 09:42 AM

Gas gauge reads backwards

I'm new to the forum and after 50+ years, again have a Model A (29 Roadster).

My gas gauge reads 0 when the tank is full and then starts backwards starting from 1/4 on up as the gas level goes down. How do I fix this? :confused:

Ernie Stewart

Franchise_24 08-04-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Gas gauge reads backwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 473209)

My gas gauge reads 0 when the tank is full and then starts backwards starting from 1/4 on up as the gas level goes down. How do I fix this? :confused:

Ernie Stewart

Ok, when it reads 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 are the numbers upside down to read? If so the gauge is just in upside down and needs to be pulled and reinserted the correct way.

P.S.
Welcome back to the hobby and to the forums, glad to have you here.

Bruce Adams 08-04-2012 09:58 AM

or just turn the car upside down?? :rolleyes:

Yes, to the gauge being upside down.
Pull it up with a coat hanger and make sure its on FULL
ALSO
Purchase and replace with a NEOPRENE "cork" float since alcohol in today's gas makes the CORK floats sink.
Neoprene floats are available from all the Model A Parts Vendors.

DO make sure you have 1/2 tank or less and that the battery is disconnected prior to the job which is pretty easy.

The book MODEL A MECHANICS HANDBOOK by Les Andrews describes each and every step to do this job.

Semper Fi 08-04-2012 10:02 AM

No, they read correctly and when it reads 0 I can see the bottom of the metal under the zero indicater.

And thank you for the welcome.
Ernie

Semper Fi 08-04-2012 10:07 AM

When I drive, the gauge moves, so do you think it is still the float? I've never let the tank drop below the 1/4 mark, so I guess I'll have to see how far down (up?) the gauge will register.

Ernie

Jim Brierley 08-04-2012 12:03 PM

I think you have an Australian gauge???

Semper Fi 08-04-2012 12:09 PM

Ok, I ordered both books. Barnes and Noble was the cheapest, if you call $100 cheap. Oh well, if your gonna play, ya gotta pay!

Tom F OHIO 08-04-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 473218)
When I drive, the gauge moves, so do you think it is still the float? I've never let the tank drop below the 1/4 mark, so I guess I'll have to see how far down (up?) the gauge will register.

Ernie

If the guage is showing empty when it is full then the cork either came off or has sunk for some reason. The wire itself will show some floating on your guage. Good Luck

J Franklin 08-04-2012 03:01 PM

Did that gauge come from Ricks model a parts?

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-04-2012 03:31 PM

Could the "floatibility" of a sunken, saturated, cork float be affected by the temperature of the newly added gas??? When my cork sank after being in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks, (Me in the "hospital," Not the car!) filling with new gas to the 1/2 tank of the OLD gas caused the guage to go up to about 1/4 tank!!! Maybe it was Ole' Bill's GHOST messin' with my "MIND."
Most "weird" stuff can eventually be explained, but some keep you awake at night for MONTHS. During one of those escapades, I discovered that my dog does WHOOPEE, smelly, quiet farts in bed under the covers. When I retaliate, he never flinches!! Bill W.

J Franklin 08-04-2012 04:10 PM

Time for a new float.

Bob C 08-04-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 473209)

Ernie Stewart

If it's a bad float why is it going up as the gas level is going down. Sounds like it reads
empty when the tank is full and full when the tank is empty.:eek:

Bob

700rpm 08-04-2012 06:28 PM

Oh this is going to be good. I can't wait to hear the answer. :)

CarlG 08-04-2012 06:33 PM

It should be dead on when it reads 1/2 then :D

Herb Concord Ca 08-04-2012 07:16 PM

Have you tried to hook the wire and put it up as far as you can and see what the gauge reads? If the gauge is installed correctly it should show the full mark. If it does, take the gauge out and replace the float.

J Franklin 08-04-2012 11:14 PM

That's what I said, replace the float!

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-05-2012 12:45 AM

I had the same problem, the float would go up and down when gas was added, or just for no reason. New neoprene float solved the problem. Chuck

Semper Fi 08-05-2012 11:53 AM

Yep, you were right..... the float is laying on the bottom. It must have been bouncing a little as the gas was starting to slosh around and that's why the 1/4 would start to show. I ordered a new float today.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Ernie

700rpm 08-05-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 473808)
Yep, you were right..... the float is laying on the bottom. It must have been bouncing a little as the gas was starting to slosh around and that's why the 1/4 would start to show. I ordered a new float today.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Ernie

Heh-heh-heh. :) Thanks for letting us know.