The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Warning about c&g (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269340)

Digger 09-11-2019 07:33 PM

Warning about c&g

I bought a new gas tank for 33-34 (part 40-9002-OR) and was told by them I would need part number 40-9003 to adapt the original sending unit to this new tank. $45 bucks. See page 121 of their catalog.

IT DOES NOT FIT, THE HOLES DO NOT LINE UP! My mechanic shop of over 25 years of working on my cars called them, to be told we didn’t know what we are doing. The employee on the phone rude and refused to listen. I spent thousands of dollars on parts, will never spend another penny with them.

Have been told by our local EFV8 parts place that they sold me a ‘35 adapter. Their catalog and part are incorrect.

paul2748 09-11-2019 07:48 PM

Re: Warning about c&g

Typical of today's customer service. I emailed Rock Auto about sending them a part for repair (they use a third party for the repair). All they did was give me some instructions for their web site that were no good. I complained to them about it, no reply

Charlie Stephens 09-11-2019 08:06 PM

I hope you called them back and asked for a manager. This doesn't sound typical of C&G and the management should know about it. Be sure to let us know what happens.

Charlie Stephens

Straightpipes 09-11-2019 08:28 PM

I like C&G.

qmdv 09-11-2019 08:28 PM

Have had no problems with C and G. You ended up with a jerk. Every company has a few

Russ/40 09-11-2019 08:32 PM

This is one of those posts that defies all other experiences.. In fact, having done business with them for over thirty years, I have never heard another complaint like it. I'm flabbergasted. Since your mechanic made the call, can you be sure he didn't imbelish a bit out of frustration? I suggest you call them personally, and ask for Kyle. Whatever happened C&G will make it right.

Digger 09-11-2019 08:38 PM

It doesn’t fit, it’s the wrong part. It’s a round hole square peg situation. Holes don’t line up, size too large. We wouldn’t call them if it fit, I would be driving the car right now. I will just dispute the charge and move on, venting here got me over it, no need to sweat it any further. Thanks Barners.

cas3 09-11-2019 08:41 PM

sorry to hear you had some problems, but as others have stated, they are normally quite high on my list of places to do business with. hope you get it sorted out

51504bat 09-11-2019 09:06 PM

Just as an example I recently ordered a headlight switch for my '54 Ranch Wagon from Shoe Box Central. They sent me a Dennis Carpenter switch that was defective. Sent them an email and followed it up with a phone call. They said they would send another switch that day. Point is that even good vendors get bad parts from good suppliers. It's unfortunate but it happens. If the guy at C&G couldn't/wouldn't fix the problem you just have to move up the food chain. I've bought a bunch of parts from C&G and never have had a problem. Given the chance they should make it right. A photo or 2 in an email might help as well. JMO.

Steve in Denver 09-11-2019 09:19 PM

For my '36, I had a similar mis-fitment problem with the stainless steel tank I got from Drake. I did get the adapter and no matter which way I turned it, even upside down, it did not fit. I would up redrilling a couple of holes then use a gas resistant Permatex to seal it up.

I also found that the stainless steel tank had two holes, one for the sending unit and one for the internal fuel pump, which I did not purchase, but neither of the holes lined up with where the access opening was in the trunk. You would think they could have checked that when they were making it.

leon bee 09-11-2019 09:54 PM

I should stay out of this, but the thread title is is kind of an incitement. I've bought parts from C and G four or five times now, and I am 100 percent satisfied in every respect. You just can't always say that these days.

uncle max 09-11-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy (Post 1798125)
For my '36, I had a similar mis-fitment problem with the stainless steel tank I got from Drake. I did get the adapter and no matter which way I turned it, even upside down, it did not fit. I would up redrilling a couple of holes then use a gas resistant Permatex to seal it up.

I also found that the stainless steel tank had two holes, one for the sending unit and one for the internal fuel pump, which I did not purchase, but neither of the holes lined up with where the access opening was in the trunk. You would think they could have checked that when they were making it.

^Chinese Checkers!

zzlegend 09-11-2019 10:07 PM

Been dealing with them for years and no problems. Not to say that it could happen. I think Kyle would make it right for you. Just my 2 cents.

WABOOM 09-11-2019 10:27 PM

I've ordered 2 different items from C&G and both were not correct for my bone stock genny '51 Mercury even though they were listed as correct. Returning them would cost more than throwing them in the trash can.

RKS.PA 09-12-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzlegend (Post 1798132)
Been dealing with them for years and no problems. Not to say that it could happen. I think Kyle would make it right for you. Just my 2 cents.

My experience with C &G as well. Your experience is frustrating, but I'm in the camp that says that you, and not "your mechanic" need to talk with Kyle or Joe.

If you do that, I'm betting serious money your problem with be resolved to your satisfaction.

Please let us know how this turns out and good luck with your project.

tubman 09-12-2019 03:47 AM

Sorry about your experience, but I'm with the majority on this. I also agree with those who believe that you did not adequately try to redress your grievance before posting negative information on a public board.

deuce lover 09-12-2019 05:02 AM

Last year I placed an order that included (NOS)piston rings for my 36 LB motor.I called and wanted to make sure they were for 3 ring pistons.They weren't sure but would check.They called me back in France and confirmed to me that they were for 4 ring pistons so removed them from my order.They have always been accommodating especially to save on shipping charges.

richard crow 09-12-2019 05:59 AM

most of us are old & in our day things were a lot different. people were help full & careing it,s a lot different today. the america we grew up in is gone.

chap52 09-12-2019 07:09 AM

I always had great service and parts from them. Please call Kyle and explain the issue directly. I am sure he will appreciate the information on both the part and the response your mechanic got.
We can all mummer in our tents, but it rarely gets things fixed (Deuteronomy 1:27)
Chap

Charlie Stephens 09-12-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 1798111)
It doesn’t fit, it’s the wrong part. It’s a round hole square peg situation. Holes don’t line up, size too large. We wouldn’t call them if it fit, I would be driving the car right now. I will just dispute the charge and move on, venting here got me over it, no need to sweat it any further. Thanks Barners.

Please call them (Kyle?) before you dispute the charge. Once someone in management hears the story they may just send you a check. It sounds like someone is there that shouldn't be and your call will help everyone.

Charlie Stephens