The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   And another Model A brought back to life! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254848)

Papa's CCPU 11-16-2018 12:39 PM

And another Model A brought back to life!

2 Attachment(s)
With the help of all of the knowledge the incredible members of this forum have shared, this truck is now back together after being in pieces since sometime in the late 60's when by brother brought it home...
I lived in a barn in Fremont, Ca. until I moved away in '96 and followed me around until I found this forum and started collecting the missing pieces

First image is how it looked in Sept 2012, just a frame and sheet metal. No running gear, and the doors had been spirited away sometime in the early 70's while by brother was in the navy..

Second image is current...still getting a few kinks out, but it runs!

Was able to find a gold mine of original parts, including a motor that has been sitting of 15-20 years, has a crack in rear main, but everyone I spoke with said "just put it back together and run it, you'll know wright away if its gonna work or not..."
Well, with Dan Partain's help, it started up on the first try....Thanks for all your help Dan!

1955cj5 11-16-2018 12:56 PM

Re: And another Model A brought back to life!

Wow!

It looks Great.....what a transformation..!

woofa.express 11-16-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa's CCPU (Post 1696745)
With the help of all of the knowledge the incredible members of this forum have shared, this truck is now back together after being in pieces since sometime in the late 60's when by brother brought it home...
I lived in a barn in Fremont, Ca. until I moved away in '96 and followed me around until I found this forum and started collecting the missing pieces

First image is how it looked in Sept 2012, just a frame and sheet metal. No running gear, and the doors had been spirited away sometime in the early 70's while by brother was in the navy..

Second image is current...still getting a few kinks out, but it runs!

Was able to find a gold mine of original parts, including a motor that has been sitting of 15-20 years, has a crack in rear main, but everyone I spoke with said "just put it back together and run it, you'll know wright away if its gonna work or not..."
Well, with Dan Partain's help, it started up on the first try....Thanks for all your help Dan!

That's great. To see an A resurrected is joyous, a little like going to a christening. To see one turned into a street rod is like going to the funeral of an old favourite maiden aunt.

Chuck Dempsey 11-16-2018 02:40 PM

A round of applause! Looks great. Congrats.....

Anteek29 11-16-2018 03:10 PM

Gives us Fordbarners big smiles!

brum1 11-16-2018 05:40 PM

Really nice work!!

ronn 11-16-2018 05:56 PM

looks terrific! congrats........

SoCal_Alden 11-16-2018 07:31 PM

Excellent work. Everybody has use for a truck. Happy motoring!

FordTudor1931 11-16-2018 08:26 PM

Perfect color choice!

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 11-17-2018 02:09 PM

Beautiful truck.
I like the color.
What color is it?

Mike Peters 11-17-2018 02:48 PM

I like the color. Gladdens my heart as well to see a pile of parts transformed into a nice runner. Did you have a title or do you need to deal with California DMV for a new title?

harleynut 11-17-2018 03:34 PM

Great job, now have fun with it.

burner31 11-18-2018 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Damn fine job...looks great.

Papa's CCPU 11-18-2018 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone,
There is more to this trucks story that I will get to when time permits, short version for now is I planned for full restoration...but circumstances dictated getting it assembled to driver condition as best as possible...so far mission accomplished, almost!

With that said, I was fortunate to find someone with a virtual treasure trove of original parts, I was a kid in a candy store picking out items off my "missing pieces" list. So what your seeing is I'd say, maybe 80-90% original parts. Just nuts, bolts etc purchased new, (barely a handful left), seat springs, and wiring...

As for how it looks 75-100 foot paint job...what started out as a primer coat after taking care of surface rust, turned into "I wonder what that color will really look like"...

The color, well its as close to Commercial Drab as I could get in a rattle can...a few shades lighter I think, but close...I hope!

I was after a lighter color since it will show the body lines better....IMHO
What little paint was left, it was most likely Rock Moss. I figured there are plenty of those around and since this isn't a complete original, I could at least use an original Color....

reek29 11-18-2018 02:42 PM

Original color is the only way to go! Ha!
Congratulations on a great looking truck.

JBill 11-18-2018 02:50 PM

The color is much like Dawn Gray.

Papa's CCPU 11-18-2018 03:27 PM

I can' disagree, it probably close to dawn gray....but so far I haven't found much to go on for any "original" Commercial Drab references...and images on your computer screen are never what they appear to the naked eye...I've posted here before attempting to get info and there has been some, but other than the paint chip that's available, I've struck out...
So Krylon rattle can is what it is for now....I do get the impression the actual color must be a few shades darker, just not a deeper or darker green like most of these were originally...

Interested in what those who know better have to add...

Chris Haynes 11-18-2018 11:24 PM

I am curious about the mirror mount on the door pillar. I believe that that was an early 1928 feature that returned with the early 1930 models. Do you know for sure what year the cab is?

Papa's CCPU 11-19-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1697557)
I am curious about the mirror mount on the door pillar. I believe that that was an early 1928 feature that returned with the early 1930 models. Do you know for sure what year the cab is?

Chris,

I also wondered if it was a 28 cab, thought it might even be an early one because of the body number...it's from the San Francisco Plant, cab is stamped is SFAA 450, but after searching and thanks to Neil Wilson's site:
http://aafords.com/aa-body-types/body-details/mirrors/

learned I was way off...
It's 5-7/8" to the top d-nut, so it falls into the D5 or early-29 to mid-30

The only info that was past along to my brother that he remembers is that it was off a AA Dump Bed, although he's not certain...that's all the history I have, no paperwork...(yes to the earlier reply, did have to deal with CA DMV mess...have gone thru the CHP VIN verification process and luckily the frame stamp was clear, just need to take it the a public scale next and I'll have the title...all DMV paperwork is competed and good to go, painful process, about 6 different trips to 2 separate offices....)

I will be posting some pictures of some holes in the Drivers side quarter panel, both side and back,about 6" from the top edge that (so far) I haven't seen on any other 82-A cab...also some wear marks on the vertical strips on back of cab from whatever was mounted back there...
My Albums already have pictures of a strange hole on the passenger side hinge pillar, looks drilled in one way and punched in the other that one I'll be glad to know what that's all about...

Will be interested to learn more as time goes on!

Chris Haynes 11-20-2018 01:18 AM

Weight is for commercial plates. You do not need commercial plates on a truck of your age.