The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I;m thinking ov buying a new car (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262514)

Ol' Ron 04-28-2019 02:01 PM

I;m thinking ov buying a new car

I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORkrY_e_HQ

cas3 04-28-2019 02:50 PM

Re: I;m thinking ov buying a new car

good choice ron. all the new ones today are at Kube's house

petehoovie 04-28-2019 03:05 PM

Two hoods equal one canoe....

jimTN 04-28-2019 04:02 PM

Those hoods sure were good for sledding! Actually the 40 sure was a fine vehicle.

mfirth 04-29-2019 06:33 AM

Hi Ron, when you git-r-bought, come to Ohio 4 a road trip and gimme a ride.
Love them 2 door sedans. Heck i'd trade my 52 Vic even up for one. mike

RKS.PA 04-29-2019 08:26 AM

Hi, Ron,

Really like that 40' Ford dealer promo you found!! Thanks for posting!!!

P.S. kind of makes my '39 seem like a "piker"!

Mike in AZ 04-29-2019 11:37 AM

Great video. Gloves on all the ladies. And what is the battery condition indicator? Thanks for posting. Mike

JSeery 04-29-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in AZ (Post 1752048)
... what is the battery condition indicator?

Voltmeter

Skinny people fit three across!

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-29-2019 02:42 PM

I ran right down to the Ford dealer, but they acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about? I guess they haven’t arrived here in Seattle yet?

B-O-B 04-29-2019 02:55 PM

Talk about skinny.! I had 2 girls & my buddy in the front seat of my beautiful blue std coupe when I rolled it 3 times ,sure flattened it down almost to the dash. The girls being in the middle ended up under the dash. My friend & I were still in the seat. They wanted to go for a hotrod ride. They got one that they talked about years later. No was hurt thank the good lord on that one.
Some time later I was in s Cal & mom called me. She was cashing my dads paycheck & the market & the cashier ask if she was BOBs mom .She said yes why & she sez OH I was with him when he rolled the 40. My folks never knew what I did most of the time.

Sorry Ol Ron for hi-jacking your post I just couldn't resist. I had another one that when the tornado came thru town I flattened the building the car was parked in. We hammered it out with sledge hammers.

Ol' Ron 04-29-2019 03:49 PM

What saddens me the most is:: All the cars I had as a kid that I either junkes or sold for oea nuts, To name just one. a 32 roadster complete grear sheet metal all the running gear Hyd brakes, less engine 250 bucks. I was asking more but nobody wanted it.it.To name but a few.

RKS.PA 04-29-2019 10:11 PM

Ron, don't beat yourself up!!! That was a long time ago and the '32 roadster was a lot less desirable then, sans the engine, than it is today.

We could buy a semi-decent 30's and early 40's running flathead Ford in my part of NJ in the early 50's for $25 bucks....and I went through a few!!

Your $250 was big $$$ in those days where I lived!!!

Tinker 04-29-2019 11:14 PM

Ron do what makes you happy and brings joy. Hey some guys love a old AMC gremlin. A 40's ford is no gremlin. Enjoy!

countrysquire 04-30-2019 07:02 AM

Don't do it Ron! Them Fords aint been no good since they went to that sliding gear transmission in '28!

nesloyrag77 05-22-2019 11:57 PM

I just bought my uncles 40 Mercury which has been in the family for over 70 years, not much different than a Ford, but longer wider and a 95 hp motor, still weak :) I enjoyed the video very much, Ive been a Chev man my whole life so a learning curve has began with the Merc, I just replaced that stupid helmet distributor with a Crab style Mallory and upgraded to a 6 volt alternator, getting ready for a big trip to Canada

ford38v8 05-23-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesloyrag77 (Post 1760500)
I just bought my uncles 40 Mercury which has been in the family for over 70 years, not much different than a Ford, but longer wider and a 95 hp motor, still weak :) I enjoyed the video very much, Ive been a Chev man my whole life so a learning curve has began with the Merc, I just replaced that stupid helmet distributor with a Crab style Mallory and upgraded to a 6 volt alternator, getting ready for a big trip to Canada

Leave it to a Chevy Lover to denigrate the venerable Ford dual point distributor.
Sorry fella, you're not getting off to a great start with your first post on the Fordbarn. :(

34PKUP 05-23-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1760507)
Leave it to a Chevy Lover to denigrate the venerable Ford dual point distributor.
Sorry fella, you're not getting off to a great start with your first post on the Fordbarn. :(

I guess that Ford Motor Co didn't think the distributor was that great either otherwise the distributor would have been used on every flathead until they went out of production. :confused:

corvette8n 05-23-2019 07:13 AM

So Ron when are you going to pick one up?

deuce_roadster 05-23-2019 09:07 AM

Don't feel bad Ron, in 1970 I restored and sold a split window vette for 2k. You could buy them all day long for 1800 and I thought I was making a great deal. Sigh, we all have those deals.

40 Deluxe 05-23-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 1760537)
I guess that Ford Motor Co didn't think the distributor was that great either otherwise the distributor would have been used on every flathead until they went out of production. :confused:

I think the reason for changing the distributor was that HF II turned the bean counters loose and they said that dual point distributor costs too much!