The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Radial tires and inner tubes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269942)

VinceRodgers 09-24-2019 03:40 PM

Radial tires and inner tubes

I understand now that I need new tires that going with the radial tires is worth the extra money for the better handling that come with them. But what I've learned is that the inner tubes I have state they are for non-radial only. So, where can I get radial approved inner tubes for my 21" wheels?

Boston Bruce 09-24-2019 03:55 PM

Re: Radial tires and inner tubes

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased my Model A radial tires (19") from Coker Tire. I bought the radial tire inner tubes from them also.

JOHN CT 09-24-2019 03:57 PM

I just ordered radial tires and tubes 2 days ago from Coker tire. I’m picking them up at Hershey so I can’t give you any kind of review. The salesman said that they carry Hartford tubes witch got a good review here at the barn. Try them

Boston Bruce 09-24-2019 07:30 PM

The tires are made in USA and the tubes I got from Coker tire are made in China. Just FYI.

VinceBlack 09-24-2019 08:59 PM

I just bought a set from Lucas, 19 inch,same tire better price. I also got tubes and they were heavy, they said nothing about not for radial so we'll see how they work. I planning on a long trip next month.

Boston Bruce 09-24-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceBlack (Post 1802798)
I just bought a set from Lucas, 19 inch,same tire better price. I also got tubes and they were heavy, they said nothing about not for radial so we'll see how they work. I planning on a long trip next month.

Disclaimer:

I have nothing to do with Coker Tire.
I bought the same "American Classic" 19" BW radial from Coker for the same $206 that Lucas has on their website. I got shipping included from Coker.
YMMV

wensum 09-25-2019 03:54 PM

When I fitted radial tyres to my A I simply re-used the original tubes without thinking that there could be any problems. So far, some many thousands of miles later there have been no problems. The tyres are relatively stiff compared with those seen on modern cars and do not have that squashed look of a modern radial. The steering and handling has been substantially improved.
Can someone explain the effect a radial tyre might have on the tube?

bdtutton 09-25-2019 10:09 PM

I have a 1930 Tudor with standard 19" rims. I purchased a set of Radial Whitewalls and a set of new tubes that were made to go into radials. I put the tires on about a week ago and it is one of the best things I have ever done for my car. The ride is smoother and quieter, the car does not dart around on uneven roads and many other improvements.
* All I can say are good things about my new radial tires....

The Master Cylinder 09-26-2019 01:27 AM

Just to avoid confusion, ya'll are talking about the American Classic Radial and not the Excelsior Stahl Redial, right?

updraught 09-26-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wensum (Post 1803048)
Can someone explain the effect a radial tyre might have on the tube?

An older thread
https://www.acdclub.org/forum/genera...-tires?start=6

wensum 09-26-2019 04:29 PM

Thanks Updraught, I read the thread material and really it still did not clarify the tube issue?
The Stahl Sport Radials fitted to my car have "tube type" on their side walls,
They were fitted by an experienced tyre fitter and he did not query the type of tube fitted.

updraught 09-26-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wensum (Post 1803393)
Thanks Updraught, I read the thread material and really it still did not clarify the tube issue?
The Stahl Sport Radials fitted to my car have "tube type" on their side walls,
They were fitted by an experienced tyre fitter and he did not query the type of tube fitted.

This is my take away from it. Heard it several times.
"Stan says that a radial tube is different from a bias-ply tube. The bias-ply tube has a butt joint around the circumference of the tube. Radial tubes must have an overlapping joint."

Also, radial tubes should be much thicker.
I don't know what a lap joint looks like. My tubes from Coker are super heavy. Expensive too. Not sure there are any tire dealers here in Oz that sell the radial tubes.

Anyways, it says if you drive at tractor speed you should be OK!

VinceBlack 09-27-2019 11:14 PM

924.00 set of 4 delivered with tubes and liners, American Classic. from Lucas, Coker wanted 174 dollars for shipping. The tire says 35 psi, looks like tire is low. The ride is comfortable, we have brick streets here now you can't feel the bricks or cracks in the road.

1931 flamingo 09-28-2019 08:16 AM

Lot of money.

IMO ANY new tire is going to "ride and feel" better than what they replaced.
Paul in CT

VinceBlack 09-28-2019 02:15 PM

Well worth the extra Money.

wensum 09-28-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1803409)
This is my take away from it. Heard it several times.
"Stan says that a radial tube is different from a bias-ply tube. The bias-ply tube has a butt joint around the circumference of the tube. Radial tubes must have an overlapping joint."

Also, radial tubes should be much thicker.
I don't know what a lap joint looks like. My tubes from Coker are super heavy. Expensive too. Not sure there are any tire dealers here in Oz that sell the radial tubes.

Anyways, it says if you drive at tractor speed you should be OK!

Thanks again, our car is used for long distance touring and cruises at anything between 90 and 110kph. So far after many miles, no problems with the tubes. The cynic in me wonders if it's a way to sell more product?

updraught 09-28-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wensum (Post 1804136)
Thanks again, our car is used for long distance touring and cruises at anything between 90 and 110kph. So far after many miles, no problems with the tubes. The cynic in me wonders if it's a way to sell more product?

The thing is, we are in unchartered waters here. Radials weren't designed for skinny wheels.
It's a small market.
It would be interesting to know the results of testing with different tubes. We don't have that. With the proliferation of dud tubes these days, most are lucky to survive on a cross ply.
Your tubes might be OK, but the next guy that tries it mightn't be so lucky.

I had to buy tubes anyway, so I looked for the best I could get and they are radial type. They will be going in cross plies, but it means I can upgrade to a radial tire at a later date.