The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fear of Showing Numbers? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213171)

Tom Wesenberg 01-21-2017 03:17 PM

Fear of Showing Numbers?

I've always wondered what is the fear of showing engine, body, and frame numbers, as well as fear of showing license plate numbers here?
I've posted my numbers in hopes that it will be useful for those doing research to establish change dates for certain parts of the car.

After all, these numbers can be viewed at any car show.

If someone thinks they can take the numbers and have a title card made up, then come to my house and claim my car, well, they'd be in for a battle since I've held the title for a number of years.

It seems posting the numbers is a good thing to do to help someone doing research.

J Franklin 01-21-2017 03:22 PM

Re: Fear of Showing Numbers?

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR

Beauford 01-21-2017 03:29 PM

It would be neat to be able to trace numbers to original owners if that was even possible. I'd like to know who could afford a leatherback in those days but cobble the heck out of a car.

DougVieyra 01-21-2017 03:29 PM

I am afraid of paranoia.

jm29henry 01-21-2017 03:44 PM

Tom, I don't see any problem with showings numbers .

HoarseWhisperer 01-21-2017 03:47 PM

If anyone uses their license plate number as an online banking password, please post an image here: :D

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-21-2017 03:55 PM

I'm AFRAID to show my AGE!
Bill Paranoid

J Franklin 01-21-2017 03:58 PM

You know this isn't a Ford thread exactly?

pooch 01-21-2017 04:07 PM

It will be ...when a thief can get name and address from the license plate , sometimes a pic of the property with garages or barns where the car is kept and also sometimes talk of when the owner is going on a trip .

Then when he comes back to find his model A gone, this will then be a legitimate thread.

I am webmaster for my local club, and I will not post license plate number, NOR surnames, NOR towns of members.

I know thieves can see the license number when car is out and about, but why hand it to them on a platter while they troll from their computer ?

eagle 01-21-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooch (Post 1417184)
I know thieves can see the license number when car is out and about, but why hand it to them on a platter while they troll from their computer ?

I think what Tom is asking, what good does it do even a thief to see my license plate number?

captndan 01-21-2017 04:21 PM

My license numbers are Colt and Glock.

mhsprecher 01-21-2017 04:34 PM

There is so much data out there for the asking now, I think blanking out a license plate number is a bit silly. If you have a nice Corvette or some other higher desirable car, maybe you should worry a little, but our Model A's, come on. Crooks want something that is easily disposed of.

ursus 01-21-2017 05:18 PM

Let's say your car was built from parts of other cars. At some point lost to history the frame number was used by a restorer and the engine number was used by a hot rodder wishing to license his street rod as just another old car. The rodder sells the engine to a buyer in a state with lax registration rules and it goes into another rebuilt Model-A and is registered under that number. Now, somebody or some insurer or some DMV database discovers the duplication and the trouble begins. What if the Model A you have legally owned for 25 years turns out to have been stolen from a barn 26 years ago? Maybe it's better to just keep some numbers to yourself.

Dick Steinkamp 01-21-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1417163)
I've always wondered what is the fear of showing engine, body, and frame numbers, as well as fear of showing license plate numbers here?

I agree. Has anyone here actually gone to one of those pay sites for a license plate look up and actually paid the money and seen the results?

What REALLY gets me is all those who have their car advertised on Craig's List or some other web site or printed material and block off the license number. All I need to do to find out where the car is is to call or email the owner and ask the address where I can see the car.

J Franklin 01-21-2017 05:29 PM

Oregon does not give out owner info from license #s except to authorities. Other states I don't know about.

Jeff/Illinois 01-21-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1417219)
Let's say your car was built from parts of other cars. At some point lost to history the frame number was used by a restorer and the engine number was used by a hot rodder wishing to license his street rod as just another old car. The rodder sells the engine to a buyer in a state with lax registration rules and it goes into another rebuilt Model-A and is registered under that number. Now, somebody or some insurer or some DMV database discovers the duplication and the trouble begins. What if the Model A you have legally owned for 25 years turns out to have been stolen from a barn 26 years ago? Maybe it's better to just keep some numbers to yourself.

This has happened in the past. People have had to give up their old car because of it, people whom may have owned it for 20 years or better and all of a sudden it surfaces on some state's DMV stolen list. If that happens the current owner is SOL and has to forfeit the car. Why take the risk?

redmodelt 01-21-2017 05:32 PM

I think many states do a check before issuing any paper work to see if it's stolen.
If you are worried about someone seeing your plate number, guess you should just hide it in the garage and never drive it or take it out in public where someone might take a photo of the front/rear and esp the plate because they are going to steal it from you.
As far as posting your motor number, you do know that you don't have to post the whole number? X's work good as substitute of some of the numbers if your worried.

Dick Steinkamp 01-21-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1417233)
Oregon does not give out owner info from license #s except to authorities. Other states I don't know about.

Neither does Washington State.

Here's some good info on those "free" license plate search companies...

http://www.docusearch.com/license-pl...rs-online.html

http://www.docusearch.com/license-pl...ine-print.html

PatrickGrant 01-21-2017 05:44 PM

Tom, that frame number is probably the original frame for your Phaeton [A light, open, 4- wheeled horse drawn carriage (40 horses)] and I don't want you to come get it.:)

TerryH 01-21-2017 06:10 PM

I tend to worry about things in relation to the risk; extremely low risk stuff like this doesn't cause me much grief......