The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A contribution from the wife... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271245)

Digger 10-20-2019 04:16 PM

A contribution from the wife...

2 Attachment(s)
My wife Maureen is not in to old cars, but always just let me do my thing, no complaints or rules...

She is a retired pastry chef....

So one of the last tasks I had to do on the ‘33 Phaeton I got recently was put corn head grease into the steering box, as it is said to be the best stuff to use. But how to get it in there?

I asked her if she had any ideas, and after looking at the project, she had the perfect solution. She used a cake frosting piping bag. Filled it with the grease, squeezed it right in... worked perfect, so just passing on this tip.

glennpm 10-20-2019 04:17 PM

Re: A contribution from the wife...

Good!

Kube 10-20-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 1811863)
My wife Maureen is not in to old cars, but always just let me do my thing, no complaints or rules...

She is a retired pastry chef....

So one of the last tasks I had to do on the ‘33 Phaeton I got recently was put corn head grease into the steering box, as it is said to be the best stuff to use. But how to get it in there?

I asked her if she had any ideas, and after looking at the project, she had the perfect solution. She used a cake frosting piping bag. Filled it with the grease, squeezed it right in... worked perfect, so just passing on this tip.

That is a good idea. Another good idea in my opinion?
I took an extra filler plug, drilled and tapped for a grease fitting. I install it when I am filling a fresh box. With the pressure of the gun, I am confident the box is completely full.
Then? I replace the fitted cap with the proper filler plug.

V8COOPMAN 10-20-2019 05:44 PM

Digger....COOL wife! Cool idea! JD Cornhead grease is definitely COOL stuff, and appropriate! Hug Maureen and tell her you love her!! DD

GB SISSON 10-20-2019 06:04 PM

Perfect solution. The bible says we should have a 'suitable helpmate' I have one as well. "Don't git no better than that":

Kube 10-21-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1811885)
Digger....COOL wife! Cool idea! JD Cornhead grease is definitely COOL stuff, and appropriate! Hug Maureen and tell her you love her!! DD

Plus, she bakes!

Ol' Ron 10-21-2019 02:50 PM

Don't loose this ome, She's a real keeper!!

Steve in Denver 10-21-2019 03:23 PM

You didn't say if you bought her a new frosting piping bag. I'm sure she would not want to reuse that one.

Probably had to take her out to dinner too!

PeteVS 10-22-2019 03:52 AM

I bought an extra grease gun just for the Corn Head Grease.