The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cos of A Restoration (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247415)

Bob Bidonde 07-07-2018 09:36 AM

Cos of A Restoration

Here's the scenario:
1. 1931 Model "A" Town Sedan;
2. Body off the frame touring class restoration;
3. Full restoration to original with exceptions for touring reliability, and uses reproduction parts. No crazy $$$ for original parts;
4. All metal fenders & aprons;
5. Strip body & frame to bare metal. Patch panels in cowl, both fender wells, and bottoms of doors professionally installed. All body assembly by owner;

6. Frame only requires weld filling of extraneous holes & painting;

6. New wood kit installed by owner;

7. New roof installed by owner;
8. Upholstery kit & carpets installed by owner;
9. All mechanical restoration done by owner;

10. Short block engine from Skokie, Illinois;

11. Single stage urethane paint on body, fenders, etc. by professional;
12. New window safety glass.

What do you think will be the ballpark cost of this restoration.

Gary WA 07-07-2018 10:06 AM

Re: Cos of A Restoration

2 Attachment(s)
$27,465.32 Plus your labor.

bucket-o-rust 07-07-2018 10:28 AM

A lot of money !!!!

Keith True 07-07-2018 10:51 AM

How long is a string? I just sandblasted a pair of A fenders for a man that has a little body shop in my building.One looked real nice,with some dingles and bends here and there.I have a jig using the front half of a frame,fender brackets,headlight bar,and fixtures to simulate the running board joints.He put that fender on there and spent over 10 hours making it right.He was picking,filing,shrinking,heating,cooling,but it came out nice.The opposite fender had a big bash in the side,he spent less than two hours on that one to make it right.I don't know how anybody could come up with an estimate on body repair without seeing it.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-07-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1648546)

Gary, Dog here,
UR you copying Ol' Bills' kind uf FICTICIOUS NUMBERS?
Buster T. Dog

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-07-2018 11:02 AM

It'll cost a "FORTUNE" plus a little MORE---NLOL---You'll "probably" have to sell your favorite TRUCK, to finish it!!!
Bill Poor

Fred K-OR 07-07-2018 11:07 AM

Better consider it a hobby. Because you would probably not get your investment out of it if you sold it.

I put about $25K into my huckster without doing all the things you want to do.

Dick Steinkamp 07-07-2018 11:47 AM

The body work and paint job you describe is about $20k here at a pro shop.

The other parts and services you are going to need (engine, engine accessories ...generator, starter, carb, etc...interior kit, suspension, brakes, trim pieces, chrome, tires, wheels blasted and painted/coated, radiator, glass, etc)...about $15k.

I generally estimate too low on my projects so you may want to add in some more just to be on the safe side.

The car won't be worth what you have in it, but this is a hobby...not a profit making business. If building the car is how you enjoy your time and money it is exactly the right thing to do :D.

wrndln 07-07-2018 12:10 PM

It all depends if you do most or almost all the restoration yourself. I have restored a 28 special coupe (97% complete and a 29 phaeton (about 65% done) and part of a 29 CCPU (about 40% done). At the end of the restoration I will probably have $14K or $15K in the vehicles as I do almost all the restoration work myself as a hobby. Of course if you hire professionals, the cost would probably be at least triple what I have in the cars. Just my input.
Rusty Nelson

George Miller 07-07-2018 12:14 PM

$90,000

WHN 07-07-2018 12:22 PM

It’s like owning an old wooden boat.

There is an old saying. “It’s like a fart in the room, you can smell it, but you can’t get your arms around it”.

What ever you figure, you will spend more!

It’s a hobby. Enjoy.

slammin 07-07-2018 01:05 PM

The cheapest way to own a restored car, is to buy one that's finished, if you can ever consider one finished. The fellow I bought my 29 from last year had $16,500+ receipts from 1995. According to a website, $16,500 in 1995 is equivalent in purchasing power to $26,502.42 in 2017. I estimate the car will take about $3,500 to complete (interior etc).

ronn 07-07-2018 01:25 PM

you forgot that Bob is in LI NY

double it...................!

Charlie Stephens 07-07-2018 01:40 PM

I did a detailed spreadsheet on this a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion it was best to buy one finished or almost finished. Start there and do a little fine tuning to make it what you want. The only exceptions are when you want something to spend your personal time on or if you have a sentimental attachment to he car (it belonged to your father, etc).

Charlie Stephens

Will Ziegler in LI NY 07-07-2018 02:03 PM

$30k

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-07-2018 02:08 PM

I NEVER added up my parts INVOICES (SCAREY!)--Partly because I always ordered DOUBLE quantities---REALLY!
Bill Cheap

GerryAllen 07-07-2018 02:22 PM

In January, I bought a nice 20 footer, 1930 coupe, new engine, new brakes an older restoration but drives great. I drive about 600-700 a month with it and have not had any troubles, 3200 miles so far.
Entered it in the local 4th of July Parade and got best antique car ribbon and a nice Judges Choice trophy. Yes there are a few rock chips and minor paint issues, I paid $9100 and most pleased.
I believe it is much cheaper to buy a restored one than to restore it. The money you save will take you on a lot of tours or Hawaii a number of times. JMHO
Gerry Allen Birch Bay WA

George Miller 07-07-2018 04:02 PM

time wise it is going to take at least a 1000 hours to do, if you really restore it. now add the parts. Buy one already done unless you just want to do it.

steve s 07-07-2018 04:13 PM

The body shop owner who did my mom's '30 coupe said one of his trade magazines said you should expect a restoration to cost twice what you will be able to turn around and sell the car for.

Gil Sissons 07-07-2018 04:23 PM

The old rule of thumb..... if you have to ask... you probably cannot afford it applies here too.
Gil. NoCal