The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beware (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245252)

gustafson 05-30-2018 02:19 PM

Beware

Know of a guy who tried to install a new Brassworks rad. Only problem is lower outlet way too small, hose way too loose. Beware

Charlie Stephens 05-30-2018 02:30 PM

Re: Beware

Quote:

Originally Posted by gustafson (Post 1634793)
Just tried to install a new Brassworks rad. Only problem is lower outlet way too small, hose way too loose. When queried, they said they only had the 1 1/2" diam size in stock, and that it didn;t make any difference, since Ford did not have a spec for the outlet anyway. Guy was rude, as well. Told me to wrap duct tape around it and be happy. Now I have a $785 radiator which is useless. No returns.:(

Berg's and others are looking good right now:)

Be sure to send them a link to this post, they (especially their management) should find it interesting. I am sure Ford had a spec for that outlet since they all came out the same size. It is called a drawing. Let us know if anything improves.

Charlie Stephens

1931 flamingo 05-30-2018 05:42 PM

Co says Ford's drawing had no size. Their suggestion was to wrap friction tape around lower outlet......................................
Paul in CT

gustafson 05-30-2018 05:45 PM

that's BS and we all know it....
The vendors that make the hoses seems to know the correct size

SeaSlugs 05-30-2018 08:37 PM

yea even on brassworks website they claim the outlets they measured were 1 11/16 so they went with 1 5/8"? said if it fits loose wrap duct tape around the outlet then slip the hose on... Yea thats great quality...

Go with Bergs - pricey but have heard nothing bad about the radiators or the company. looks like brassworks went to China or Vietnam for labor or tooling or something. For what you pay for one it should be a nearly drop in and go item with all the holes lined up.

rocket1 05-31-2018 06:11 AM

Return that piece of junk,demand a full refund,idiots,wrap tape around it!Thanks for the heads up about the quality.

FrankWest 05-31-2018 06:47 AM

Shame on them! Too blatant error...If, as they said, Ford drawing did NOT have size, They should have held up production until they had the specs. If they could not obtain they specs they should have corresponded with you and found out what size hose you would be using and where your purchased it.Then they could have designed to fitting to fit your hoses.

russcochiolo 05-31-2018 07:30 AM

My experience was different. I drove over to the shop, got a tour and picked up my radiator. All dimensions were right on and it does the job. I still recommend Brassworks.

hazelhoff 05-31-2018 07:49 AM

In Holland we have a shop installing new Brasswork core, reusing your original upper and lower tank

Dick So. Cal. 05-31-2018 10:50 AM

Been running Brassworks radiators in both my As for 15 years and never had a leak problem. Or any problem with heating.
Only problem I had was my cars ran too cool! Had to add 160 deg thermostats. . . .

Dick

Barry B./ Ma. 05-31-2018 02:19 PM

I had a Brassworks on my coupe, the only problem I had was the mounting holes were never drilled so I had to drill them out. Made me wonder how that passed inspection but it is a nice cool running radiator. I should note, the hoses fit nicely.

old car guy 05-31-2018 03:13 PM

Just a ignorant question. Why if the lower pipe diameter is to small couldn’t you you a muffler tailpipe expander to increase the diameter or size of the pipe with out much difficulty. I use to do on other radiators when the size was off. I can’t see why it would be any different just because it was a model a radiator .

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-31-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gustafson (Post 1634857)
that's BS and we all know it....
The vendors that make the hoses seems to know the correct size

http://www.model-a-ford.com/LOL.gif That's funny right there because evidently you don't know either!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-31-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWest (Post 1634993)
Shame on them! Too blatant error...If, as they said, Ford drawing did NOT have size, They should have held up production until they had the specs. If they could not obtain they specs they should have corresponded with you and found out what size hose you would be using and where your purchased it.Then they could have designed to fitting to fit your hoses.

OK, this has been discussed on another forum already so some of this is redundant but the truth of the matter is there is way more to this than what some are giving credit for. First-off, this information is posted on their website, so a prospective buyer who is prudent will look at all the info FIRST before they place the order.

FWIW, I have looked and I'm pretty sure the original print of the water connector is NOT at the archives. Maybe you can find it, but I have the same print as Lee does for the A-8005-B Assembly Drawing, ...and he is correct that the dimensions are not listed on that print. If you will take note, he explains that he has original tanks to use as samples and he knows what the correct size is supposed to be. His problem is he can build it correctly but the hose manufacturers don't.

Now here is why this entire thread is SO asinine is that if someone really wants to have a the best experience, you send Brassworks your radiator shell AND you specify whether you are using the off-shore brand of reproduction hoses, the US-manufactured reproduction hoses, --or original Ford-made hoses. They can assemble your radiator that will give years of service where everything fits perfectly. If you don't want to spend the effort upfront, then do you really have the right to bitch, ….especially if the manufacturer is very upfront about these issues and prints them on their website for everyone to read??.

gustafson 05-31-2018 04:33 PM

There is a slight problem to be dealt with here, sir, and that is that Vince Falter says the original hose size is 1 3/4
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/Radi...nstruction.htm

42merc 05-31-2018 08:35 PM

The trouble with this & other 'bad part' rants is you only hear one side of the story.

J Franklin 06-01-2018 12:13 AM

Amen!

cpf240 06-01-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42merc (Post 1635252)
The trouble with this & other 'bad part' rants is you only hear one side of the story.

A person from BW is posting in the thread mentioned on another site about this issue.

Mike V. Florida 06-01-2018 01:30 AM

I have never read about this problem with brassworks radiators in the past. What has changed I wonder?

California Travieso 06-01-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1635160)
OK, this has been discussed on another forum already so some of this is redundant but the truth of the matter is there is way more to this than what some are giving credit for. First-off, this information is posted on their website, so a prospective buyer who is prudent will look at all the info FIRST before they place the order.

FWIW, I have looked and I'm pretty sure the original print of the water connector is NOT at the archives. Maybe you can find it, but I have the same print as Lee does for the A-8005-B Assembly Drawing, ...and he is correct that the dimensions are not listed on that print. If you will take note, he explains that he has original tanks to use as samples and he knows what the correct size is supposed to be. His problem is he can build it correctly but the hose manufacturers don't.

Now here is why this entire thread is SO asinine is that if someone really wants to have a the best experience, you send Brassworks your radiator shell AND you specify whether you are using the off-shore brand of reproduction hoses, the US-manufactured reproduction hoses, --or original Ford-made hoses. They can assemble your radiator that will give years of service where everything fits perfectly. If you don't want to spend the effort upfront, then do you really have the right to bitch, ….especially if the manufacturer is very upfront about these issues and prints them on their website for everyone to read??.

Brent,

I have to agree with your statement. I visited the Brassworks shop a year ago when we were in Cental California and that is how he explained it to me. He said bring in your radiator or send it to him and he will take measurements so it will fit your car. If you prefer, he can re-core your Radiator.

David Serrano