The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sea-foam, MMO, or fogging to help sticky valves? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221020)

Mark W. 05-18-2017 04:50 PM

Sea-foam, MMO, or fogging to help sticky valves?

Last fall I purchased a 28 Phaeton which has not been driven in a long time, it seems to have the problem of backfiring and bucking that I would atribute to sticky valves.

My question is whether MMO in the gas, sea-foam, or "fogging" the engine with penetrating oil will help this issue. I hate to tear into the engine when the weather is finally cooperative for driving it.

Any thoughts?

Tom Wesenberg 05-18-2017 05:20 PM

Re: Sea-foam, MMO, or fogging to help sticky valves?

I would put a can of Sea Foam in the oil, and another can in the gas. After running the tank of gas out, just keep adding 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons of gas.

Terry, NJ 05-18-2017 06:40 PM

Tom's advice is roughly the same as I would give. Except, I would stress running it more, even if it was only a fast idle in the driveway. I almost for got, I had a wheel Horse with something wrong with the engine, it would rev up beyond say 600 rpm (Hadn't run in a while either) I decided to cut the grass anyway (But slowly) I used Sea Foam and MMO at greater than the recommended portions. ( I measure in Glugs) Whaddya know? it must have cleared itself it suddenly started running better than it had in a long time. I'm pretty sure it was it the Carb. and I had it apart twice and still it wouldn't run right until it was in the mood.
Terry

Jeff/Illinois 05-18-2017 06:53 PM

Did what Tom recommended for our Flathead about three years ago was having a stuck valve issue.

Worked like a charm wouldn't go w/o SeaFoam and some MMO in my gasoline today for the old cars.

1931 flamingo 05-18-2017 06:53 PM

I do the "glugs" also, no problems. MMO, SeaFoam or Stabil. Won't hurt anything.
Paul in CT

Mike V. Florida 05-19-2017 12:44 AM

"My question is whether MMO in the gas, sea-foam, or "fogging" the engine with penetrating oil will help this issue. "

Yes

updraught 05-19-2017 01:33 AM

Pull the plugs and squirt some penetrating oil at the open valves.

Mark W. 05-19-2017 07:23 AM

Thank you guys, I was afraid that this thread would wind up as another Pandora's box issue...

I pulled the plugs and did what Updraught suggested, but I think she needed a little more than that. Black flies are out in Maine, so a little more smoke from the car can't hurt and we are still in that courting stage where I'm going larger runs each time out until I get confident with the ol' gals reliability. At some point you have been there too I would assume.

Big hammer 05-19-2017 09:57 AM

I can appreciate you doing only one thing at a time. Seafoam in engine oil, mmo in gas tank, and go for a long drive! And drive it like you stole it, rev the motor, don't baby it !
If you don't want to get to far from home, drive in circles :-)

mcorrell 05-19-2017 03:08 PM

MMO in the fuel is my cure for sticky valves (usually in engines sitting for many months). Back in the '80s I worked as a mechanic and we would install MMO oilers that fed MMO into the intake manifolds of the trucks and other equipment from the local steel mill (lots of idle time and many ran on LPG). Never had any problems.

captndan 05-19-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1474319)
I would put a can of Sea Foam in the oil, and another can in the gas. After running the tank of gas out, just keep adding 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons of gas.

Exactly this^^^^^^^. Tom beat me to it.

George Miller 05-19-2017 03:45 PM

I agree with the above, but it could also be a condenser or loose electrical connection.

DJ S 05-19-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Miller (Post 1474666)
I agree with the above, but it could also be a condenser or loose electrical connection.

Agreed, had a very similiar issue at high RPMs. New condenser solved the problem.

updraught 05-19-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. (Post 1474494)
Thank you guys, I was afraid that this thread would wind up as another Pandora's box issue...

I pulled the plugs and did what Updraught suggested, but I think she needed a little more than that. Black flies are out in Maine, so a little more smoke from the car can't hurt and we are still in that courting stage where I'm going larger runs each time out until I get confident with the ol' gals reliability. At some point you have been there too I would assume.

The trick I suggested I've used lots of times and it has always worked instantly on a valve problem. However, thats for an engine that has been sitting for a few weeks rather than years.
Might need to let the stuff soak for several days, or as others have said, it could be something else.

Dick Steinkamp 05-19-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. (Post 1474307)
Last fall I purchased a 28 Phaeton which has not been driven in a long time, it seems to have the problem of backfiring and bucking that I would atribute to sticky valves.

I think you are jumping to conclusions. You may be right, but I'd want to know what was causing the "backfiring and bucking" before I implemented a solution (or series of solutions).

Have you done a compression or leak down test? Valves hanging open would clearly show.

H. L. Chauvin 05-19-2017 08:27 PM

I'd rather fight than Switch .... Kerosene for me for past 60 years to dissolve varnish on valve stems and in valve guides; worked for my Dad and grandpa since 1912 .... pour in all (4) spark plug holes and allow valve stems to soak 24 hours overnight ...... 100% cure .... 100% of the time.

On start up, your Black Flies won't even be thinking about courting ..... with Kerosene smoke ...... they will probably be headed straight for North Korea.

dmaxweb 06-13-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin (Post 1474770)
I'd rather fight than Switch .... Kerosene for me for past 60 years to dissolve varnish on valve stems and in valve guides; worked for my Dad and grandpa since 1912 .... pour in all (4) spark plug holes and allow valve stems to soak 24 hours overnight ...... 100% cure .... 100% of the time.

On start up, your Black Flies won't even be thinking about courting ..... with Kerosene smoke ...... they will probably be headed straight for North Korea.

How much Kerosene in each cylinder do you use?
Thanks

SeaSlugs 06-13-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1474738)
I think you are jumping to conclusions. You may be right, but I'd want to know what was causing the "backfiring and bucking" before I implemented a solution (or series of solutions).

Have you done a compression or leak down test? Valves hanging open would clearly show.

Those 2 tests would show a partially stuck open valve but not a sluggish valve. vacuum gauge would show a sluggish valve along with non sealing valve and or vacuum leaks which can cause backfiring.

if deffinately cannot hurt to run seafoam or MMO in either oil or gas and should be done anyways.

Seafoam can be added anytime to the crankcase but the reccomend 100-300 miles before changing oil and filter. Seafoam will remove all sorts of gunk and without an oil filter it may gunk and overload the oil so watch the color closely. if it starts turning black quick, dump it and dump in the cheapest multiweight oil you can find (walmarts supertech oil is pretty decent and cheap like $12/5qt jug cheap) and add the seafoam again and run it watching the color closely.

J Franklin 06-13-2018 07:17 PM

Granpa used coal oil cause it was handy and proven. Dad learned from him, but I bet if a gallon of Kerosene and a jug of MMO or Sea foam was sitting on the bench, if he grabs the Kerosene I would guess he was stubborn! Tell us the Compression.

Corley 06-13-2018 07:57 PM

It's a really cheap diagnostic to connect a vacuum gauge, and they can help figure out a lot of issues. Old school aid that works well. Lot's of places online to help you learn how to interpret what you see on the gauge. Really just basic diagnosis 101.