The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   clutch replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282249)

Jim in Wisconsin 06-07-2020 08:02 PM

clutch replacement

A friend of mine has a 28 coupe and is having clutch problems. He would like me to replace it when I get time.
On my 33 v8, I would do it by taking the rear axle and transmission out, leaving the motor in. I haven't worked on a Model A much and was wondering if that would be a good way, or should I take the motor out.
Thanks for any advise
Jim S.

jb-ob 06-07-2020 08:07 PM

Re: clutch replacement

First question for your friend, what type of clutch ? 1928 Fords mostly had multi-disc clutches which are much easier to remove & reinstall attached to the engine.

Check first.

1931 flamingo 06-08-2020 06:22 AM

Some like it one way, othes the other way. UNLESS doing engine work I'd pull the rear. JMO
Paul in CT

WHN 06-08-2020 11:10 AM

Not a bad job if you drop the rear end. Our preferred way.

I have done 31’s and 29’s but never a 28. I don’t know about how the clutch would effect your work.

Enjoy.

jb-ob 06-08-2020 11:48 AM

Jim,

First step is to determine if the car has a single disc or multi-dice clutch. A single disc, similar to your 33, is your decision how to replace.

New parts for a multi-disc haven't been made probably since 1930. You or owner must collect original clutch packs & throw out bearings to find serviceable parts along with the spline flywheel.

There are a few people I'd recommend laying on their backs struggling to mate the spline clutch into the flywheel....you don't deserve that adventure. Much easier with the engine out of the car.

Last option is to replace all the multi-disc pieces with ones from a later single disc.

Approach with care, Best, jb

Patrick L. 06-08-2020 01:51 PM

I've never done a multi. But I prefer to yank the rear end.

McMimmcs 06-08-2020 02:17 PM

I am not mechanically included so I have a mechanic do my work. He is amazing and I have total confidence in him. He replaced my clutch removing the rear end so there is no doubt that is the best procedure. Case closed for me!

jb-ob 06-08-2020 03:33 PM

Interesting, three answers from four guys who have never removed or installed a multi-disc clutch in a 1928 Model A and another answer from one who admits he doesn't know the business end of a screwdriver.

I've owned this car forty years, three previous times laying on my back cuss'n & fussing. Last time 6 months ago I swung it with the motor attached, SOOO much easier.

Yes, IF it were a single disc, I'd pull the rear as well............but it aint.

Patrick L. 06-08-2020 04:02 PM

But we don't yet know what type of clutch Jim has do we. I think most have been converted to single disc.

If he does have a multi, then I'll defer to those that know more about them.

d.j. moordigian 06-08-2020 04:28 PM

IF it is a real 28 with the early front cross member, you have a few different things too
think about. I like pulling the rear..

1. Pull the front bolts and 2(one on either side) of the rear mount..
2. Remove the Throttle assembly...it hits the firewall..
3. Remove the pedals..
4. THE BIG DEAL,...the brake parts under the center cross member..(3 piece brakes).??

You better figure out what it is ....!

Jim in Wisconsin 06-08-2020 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the responses. It is a 28, but it appears to have a replacement motor so I think it will have a normal clutch. Of course I won't know for sure until I see it. I explained the multi disc stuff to him - he has no idea of what's in there and doesn't care about originality. He is 80 and wants to enjoy it while he can.
I hope he can just drive it till winter, then I would have more time in case it turns out to be more of a project than I thought. I'm a lot more familiar with the v8's. If it has the multi disc, it'll have to be converted - that means a different flywheel and a bunch of other stuff I suppose.
I think I would take the rear end out and do it that way.

jb-ob 06-08-2020 05:59 PM

Jim,

Before starting, remove the mats & floor boards, you will find a inspection plate with two bolts in front of the shifter. Remove, take a picture of the clutch & post, we then can tell you what is currently living in there.

Your customer thought the car had clutch issues, but you haven't inspected it yet. Check the fluid level in the trans and the amount of clutch free play. A multi-disc requires 3/4" but some time less to fully disengage the discs to shift smoothly.

Lastly multi doesn't like be 'wound out' like a single disc can. Shift at 8 mph & at 15 or she'll grind gears until they slow down, no matter how thick the gear lube is.

It's your customer, your project, & your garage so do as you are comfortable. Please ask more question, we all like to share our experiences.

jb