The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Words of wisdom for first "long" trip (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229107)

stouchton 09-13-2017 07:33 PM

Words of wisdom for first "long" trip

My 31 Roadster runs, steers and stops great - but I know absolutely nothing about the engine, transmission and differential internals. Because of this I limit myself to 50 mile round trip outings.....

But I am considering a 300 mile trip.

Besides carrying the normal stuff (tools, water, oil, condensor, points, etc) any particular words of wisdom? I do have flatbed towing with my insurance!!!

Thanks and Take care,

Scott

JDupuis 09-13-2017 07:57 PM

Re: Words of wisdom for first "long" trip

Scott, if you are able to do 50 mile trips with no problems; you're ready for the 300 mile trips. Two Thumbs Up!! :).
Just don't be in any rush to the finish line. ( no speeding ). Slow and steady finishes the trip. Jeff

Russ B 09-13-2017 08:15 PM

I first took a bunch of 40 to 60 mile trips to gain confidence in the car. I took a 500 mile trip by myself in May 2017. On a recent 100 mile trip I had a problem (about 20 miles short of returning home) that I thought might put me on a flatbed tow, but it recovered and I am studying how to properly tune the Weber, as I am pretty sure it is the problem. I think the best thing to do is keep driving at any excuse so you better know the car and what little problems seem to happen more frequently, then you will know what tools and parts you really need. On the 500 mile trip, I had a torque wrench and head gasket and some water; that was all I needed besides gas. ...didn't need the head gasket, but did use/need the torque wrench.

stewwolfe 09-13-2017 08:25 PM

When I go on a long trip (generally around 1,000 miles, or more) I carry a distributor that is timed for the car, a gasket set, basic tool set, including a torque wrench, spare water pump, oil, water, and Les Andrews' red and blue books. I've never used any of them except the distributor, when my condensor failed.

Cape Codder 09-13-2017 08:38 PM

In addition to the above suggestions prior to a trip, I always check each tire pressure including the spare which I like a 40 lbs. I also put a torque wrench to each lug bolt to the tune of 64 in. lbs. I'm leaving for the New England meet tomorrow which is only 210 miles from the Cape.

KGBnut 09-13-2017 08:59 PM

Where are you heading? Some of the folks and clubs along your way may offer to lend a hands should you run into trouble.

Ken

Dick Steinkamp 09-13-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1526960)
I also put a torque wrench to each lug bolt to the tune of 64 in. lbs.

I hope you mean FOOT pounds.

Dick Steinkamp 09-13-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewwolfe (Post 1526952)
When I go on a long trip (generally around 1,000 miles, or more) I carry a distributor that is timed for the car...

Great idea. I figured out how that can be done, but the dizzy will go in two ways. How do you insure it is not 180 degrees off if you have to use it?

Synchro909 09-13-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1526989)
Great idea. I figured out how that can be done, but the dizzy will go in two ways. How do you insure it is not 180 degrees off if you have to use it?

The dizzy should only go in one way. The bottom end of the dizzy shaft and the shaft it is driven by are mated with a slot and tongue. They are made off centre so they only fit one way. If you can put it in any other way, something is wrong/badly worn.
Back to the OP. Heck, 300 miles is not even the interval between services. If you are happy doing 50 miles, you should be fine for 300 but if you need to, I suggest a few tools, a dizzy, fan belt (only if the one on the car is dodgey), water pump packing, puncture kit and a list of Model A contacts in the area.

Tom Wesenberg 09-13-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1526989)

The notch is offset, so it can only go in one way.

Roger Green 09-13-2017 11:14 PM

A copy of a national club roster is probably the best insurance for getting help along the way. Have fun!

RUNNERBUN 09-14-2017 02:55 AM

All good advice above, in addition to the puncher repair kit I would include a spare inner tube is a good back-up. Replacing a tube can be done in a few minutes by any tire repair shop but they most likely will not have the correct size.

wmws 09-14-2017 09:30 AM

When I go for 1000 miles or more I take a timed distributor, water pump, extra spare tire and tube, fan belt, and tools. All my trips have been solo so I try to be prepared.

Dick Steinkamp 09-14-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1526993)
The dizzy should only go in one way. The bottom end of the dizzy shaft and the shaft it is driven by are mated with a slot and tongue. They are made off centre so they only fit one way. If you can put it in any other way, something is wrong/badly worn.
Back to the OP. Heck, 300 miles is not even the interval between services. If you are happy doing 50 miles, you should be fine for 300 but if you need to, I suggest a few tools, a dizzy, fan belt (only if the one on the car is dodgey), water pump packing, puncture kit and a list of Model A contacts in the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1526994)
The notch is offset, so it can only go in one way.

Thanks Synchro and Tom!

H. L. Chauvin 09-14-2017 10:21 AM

Excellent advice above.

Also:

A. If not having access to a computer on a very "long" trip, please bring a Model A catalog .... an over-night mailed $5.00 Model A repair part sent to a present or future Motel address can sometimes prevent tons of expenses & misery.

B. If a Model A has an all original electrical & fuel system, many Model A parts dealers and club members back home or along the way can assist in rendering repair advice.

C. If a Model A has a 2017 electronic distributor running on digital moon gravity forces with a 2017 solar powered electronic fuel injection system running off a a solar panel on your running board, (or something similar), and you need repair advice ...... just start looking for the most inexpensive tow service.

Ed 09-14-2017 05:58 PM

AAA auto club membership

Cape Codder 09-14-2017 07:01 PM

Dick Stinekamp - Good catch. Yes I did it in FOOT LBS.

KGBnut 09-15-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN (Post 1527026)
All good advice above, in addition to the puncher repair kit I would include a spare inner tube is a good back-up. Replacing a tube can be done in a few minutes by any tire repair shop but they most likely will not have the correct size.

I never thought of carrying a spare inner tube. That's a great idea. One of my spares will be going in my kit as soon as I get home this evening.

Ken

denniskliesen 09-15-2017 10:37 AM

When was the last time your wheel bearings were repacked, front and rear? Don't kid yourself they can fail on you if not taken care of. Lately I've looked at collections of photos of club tours and seen a picture here and there of one of the members with their axle jacked up and the wheel bearings on the ground in pieces. One of the first things I did to my A before I drove it.

H. L. Chauvin 09-15-2017 11:20 AM

Lots of wonderful advice above for preparing for a "long" and a "very long" trip.

Just in general, I think most Model A owners will agree that Model A's which are exercised often are "always" the most road worthy.

On several short trips, taken often, one can eliminate almost all of the small Model A "bugs" one or two at a time.

Not exercising a Model A often may cause multiple problems that may cause Model A failure when one gets out on the open highway.

Some may want to add their experiences to that below as to what may happen when Model A's are not exercised often and are allowed to just sit idle prior to a long or very long trip ..... for example:

1. Battery (-) and (+) posts accumulate non-conductive metal corrosion; plus batteries may go dead.

2. Fuel and oil on valve stems turn into sticky varnish when the volatile components of petroleum products evaporate, causing hard starting, engine missing, & back firing.

3. Points accumulate non-conductive metal corrosion causing no-starts or poor engine running.

4. Electrical wire connections accumulate non-conductive metal corrosion in the most God-Awful non-detected locations causing no starting, hard starting, and malfunctioning of any lights needed for night driving.

5. Rust and fuel varnish accumulation in the gas tank causing poor fuel flow and possible fuel blockage.

6. Varnish accumulation in carburetor jets.

7. Bottom sides of tires developing flat spots causing bumpy rides.

8. Losing tire pressure in tires and also the spare tire.

9. When nobody is around often, rats, squirrels, etc. feel "at home", attacking who knows what like chewing wires, crawling into exhaust pipes, nesting in upholstery, etc.

10. Dust accumulation on paint which retains moisture causes water molecules to penetrate body paint causing the beginning of rust damage.

11. .........

12. .........

Only a few items listed above ..... hope some can add their prior experiences of what can happen when we do not exercise our Model A's often.