The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   black high gloss single stage paint. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303054)

frank d kirkstad 08-27-2021 04:40 PM

black high gloss single stage paint.

Hello. My ford coupe is almost paint ready and I'm still looking for a nice high gloss single stage black. I know there are many shades of black, some much darker than others. Any suggestions, PPG, Sherwin Williams? Is anyone tried the Restoration Shop paint by TCP Global?
Thank You.
Frank

51 MERC-CT 08-27-2021 05:34 PM

Re: black high gloss single stage paint.

I have used R-M 403 SS black. The 'gloss' comes from the way it or any other single stage is cut and buffed.

J Franklin 08-27-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2050374)
I have used R-M 403 SS black. The 'gloss' comes from the way it or any other single stage is cut and buffed.

That to me is very hard to believe. I paint to a high gloss by following the manufacturers instructions. I don't cut, buff or even wax unless there is a problem that needs action (rarely). I have great paint jobs.

Holeshot 08-27-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 2050410)
That to me is very hard to believe. I paint to a high gloss by following the manufacturers instructions. I don't cut, buff or even wax unless there is a problem that needs action (rarely). I have great paint jobs.

Nothing against Merc Man but I agree with Franklin 100%

Holeshot 08-27-2021 08:30 PM

To the OP, I like Glasurit 22 line myself. Honestly as was stated by Franklin above, following the paint manufactures instructions to the letter is key to getting a correct finish. Also prep, prep, and more prep followed by clean, clean and clean. I also prefer a quality downdraft paint booth to spray in with good lighting, but it is not necessary to use one.

Russ/40 08-27-2021 08:58 PM

I used the Restoration Shop paint by TCP Global. Spectacular results on my 29 RPU.
No cut and buff required to get the blackest black and highest shine you have ever seen. Single stage Urethane. If you go that route, I have the formula for a black that is blacker than their standard product. Let me know if you decide to go to them, and I will give you the formula as I need to hunt it down.

mfirth 08-27-2021 09:01 PM

Is Centari Coal black still around? Worked GR8 in early 2000 when a friend painted my Victoria.

Tinker 08-27-2021 11:03 PM

There are two types of black paint. A brown black and a blue black. It's easy to see in the light. PPG 9300 basic black is a blue black and what you are asking. I used a little flatterer to knock down the high gloss as I didn't want that.

There is a lot of options today to buy paint I'd ask if the base is blue or brown/red. Maybe get a sample and take it out in direct sun.

More on color added...
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...black.1022128/

David J 08-28-2021 12:29 AM

Painted the extra rear fenders for Mikes car .

Had the factory paint scanned and there was a studebaker blue that matched better than the new dearborn blue .

Bodyshop owner said to match the old paint better use DBC base color and clear mixed together .
3 parts color and one part clear .
Worked great and is thin like factory paint so you can see the die forming details in the sheetmetal .

Sheen is a tic softer than straight clear and matches great with the rest of the car .
You could of course buff it to whatever point you want but it looks great just as it is .

cas3 08-28-2021 01:00 AM

when you do the cut and buff, you drive down the road, window down, arm on the sill, and feel the door it is as smooth as a womans breast. Put 4 coats on, cut and buff, you will look like a pro

flathead48 08-28-2021 06:24 AM

I have used base coat from SPI and it is Black, they also make it in single stage.

51504bat 08-28-2021 07:55 AM

High gloss black is on sale right now at Tractor Supply.:cool:

frank d kirkstad 08-28-2021 10:41 AM

Thank you Russ/40 for your reply, regarding the TCP Global single stage black paint. Yes, I am very much interested in the special TCP global formula. My e-mail address is [email protected] if you wish to contact me that way. I had a 29 closed cab p/u many years ago, but have never seen a roadster pickup out hear on the east coast.
Thank's again.
Frank

Russ/40 08-28-2021 12:54 PM

Frank, sent you an email

frank d kirkstad 08-28-2021 01:55 PM

I got it Russ. Thank you I appreciate it!

Lanny 08-28-2021 03:38 PM

There are many-many shades of black paints these days, inc
ebony black, brown black, blue black, green black, red black,
yellow black, silver metallic black, gold metallic black, and many others.

J Franklin 08-28-2021 03:48 PM

"Coach black" is the old fashioned black that everything was painted back in the day, just plain old black.

hotrodcbx 08-28-2021 06:29 PM

I have had good luck with Summit racing gloss black 2 part, single stage...

hotrodcbx 08-28-2021 06:55 PM

http://'33 Ford

Ken/Alabama 08-28-2021 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PPG is good but damn it’s expensive. Painted my Zephyr with it.