The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2014 Eastern Nats - Security (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116411)

PeterC 09-03-2013 01:18 PM

2014 Eastern Nats - Security

Like many of you, I'm registered for the 2014 Regional show in Gettysburg - just wanted your opinion re security. I'll have my 35 3 Window down at the show and then driving back and forth to the show and surrounding areas. Is there a designated area at the designated "club" hotel where our cars are parked and actually guarded all night?

Recent reports of wholesale theft of multiple cars at club shows and auction venues gets me really paranoid regarding the safety of our cherished Fords - I really like my 3 window but prefer not to sleep in it!:confused:

ken ct 09-03-2013 01:44 PM

Re: 2014 Eastern Nats - Security

Most shows have a security setup of their own.Vendors in the swap meet that stay in their motor homes act as an additional security as most are very lite sleepers and hear most every thing going on all nite,they also have thousands of dollars of parts sitting on tables outside there motor homes.You better believe they hear every little odd noise out there. ken ct. [a vendor] See you there.Best place to park it for the nite is right among the vendors,the closer to a motor home vendor the better cause he will be right there. OMO ken ct.

woodiewagon46 09-03-2013 03:55 PM

Peter C., I can understand your concern for security for your car but other than taking some obvious precautions there is not much else you can do. In 2010 my wife and I drove our '46 woodie from NY to CA. We spent the entire month of Sept. on the road. Here's what I would suggest. Install an electrical cut off in your car. If you really want to get crazy you can install a fuel shutoff. Get a good, lockable, car cover and try to get a motel room over looking your car. I don't know of any 6 volt alarms so that might not be a solution. None of these precautions will prevent someone with a trailer with a winch from hauling your car on the trailer and speeding off. At a show several years ago someone did just that and to top it off several people watched the whole thing happen and the car's alarm was blasting, they told the police that they thought the car was being taken to a shop for repairs. You can take all the precautions in the world, but the sad fact is that if some thief want's to steal a car they will. Don't let some slime ball ruin your fun!! See you in Gettysburg.

Tom Morookian 09-04-2013 06:29 AM

Fuel shut off, batt cut off, lock/chain steering wheel, (with tires cut to one side), park in the motel loading zone, pay the clerk $10 to watch/call you.

Keep a GPS trackable phone in the car.

What would really be cool if other barners let ya' park at there house and shuttled you to the motel.

Frank Miller 09-04-2013 07:04 AM

In Saratoga we hired night time security. Because it was in the park we had to use their staff. I read about the stolen vehicles that did not meet reserve at auction. Thought it a bit odd. You could look into something like this.
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...ps+tracking.do

JM 35 Sedan 09-04-2013 09:49 AM

Peter, go to the post I put up on the 2014 ENM (just brought ttt). Call the meet chairman and ask him about your concern for security.

37 Coupe 09-04-2013 10:01 AM

Hagerty insurance agreed value,only sure thing.

PeterC 09-04-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 719595)
Hagerty insurance agreed value,only sure thing.

agreed re proper insurance - but I don't want the $$ - I want to keep my Coupe!

felix37 09-04-2013 11:26 PM

just leave it on the trailer that's on your avitar! they will think it's broke and won't mess with it! Just kidding! All one can do is there do diligence and just enjoy the show. The odds of getting your car stolen at a car venue is very low.

37 Coupe 09-05-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterC (Post 719679)
agreed re proper insurance - but I don't want the $$ - I want to keep my Coupe!

Quite understandable,I would and do feel the same way. I am somehow going to try to get my coupe to Gettysburg I have not registered yet only reservations. Guess I worry more about somebody lifting the original spiders wheel covers like happened at Dearborn a few years ago.

Frank Miller 09-05-2013 09:17 AM

I do not want to insult you but if you can find a 32 3 window to park next to it might not look so desirable. :-)

JM 35 Sedan 09-05-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Miller (Post 720201)
I do not want to insult you but if you can find a 32 3 window to park next to it might not look so desirable. :-)

Frank, that was exactly the same logic I used on the Cross Country Tour for always parking next to your car :D.

Frank Miller 09-05-2013 01:40 PM

I figured they would go for the patina. That is why I parked next to you. Also made it easier to wash your windshield in the morning so you would not run into me.

Norman Heathcote 09-07-2013 05:42 PM

See the updated information on the EFV8 Club web site www.earlyfordv8.org for a revised schedule, details on tours and meals and security information.

Carl 09-07-2013 10:07 PM

A friend of mine who travels with his car in a tandem trailer, always removes 2 wheels from one side of the trailer at motel when staying overnight. Its a little work, but is easier than trying to find your rig after its stolen. Of course, take the other precautions mentioned, too.

PeterC 09-08-2013 06:38 PM

Saw this on the Nat V8 Website under the 2014 Pa Regional Show

"A security patrol will be employed each night from Sunday night to Friday
morning. If you plan on moving an antique car or trailer at that time you must have
photo ID and registration information available to verify ownership."

Bobs32 09-09-2013 08:46 AM

Stay here and no worries. Also get to see alot of cool Bay nature.

Tobacco Stick Inn, 1343 Taylor's Island Rd, Madison, ☎ +1 410 330-1124

40cpe 09-09-2013 11:31 AM

I had a friend who would put a baby monitor in his car and the receiver in his motel room.