The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Re torquing head gasket--hot or cold? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110990)

31 Woody 07-05-2013 09:07 PM

Re torquing head gasket--hot or cold?

When re torquing a head gasket, do I need to let the car cool first or get it while still hot?

chopo 07-05-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Re torquing head gasket--hot or cold?

cold

msmaron 07-05-2013 09:21 PM

After 100 miles, after 200 miles after 500 miles and hot.

bhiland 07-05-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 683232)
After 100 miles, after 200 miles after 500 miles and hot.

I think hot also.

Bob C 07-05-2013 09:52 PM

I thought cold but Service Bulletins say warm.

Bob

Duffy1 07-05-2013 09:58 PM

If you have the new type head gasket with the silicon around the bolt holes you retorque with the engine stone cold. This is the type I use . Instructions say to retorque twice once after running the engine for a while and then letting it get stone cold and retorque and a second time at 500 miles . I have found that it takes about 5 retorques before the head gasket stabilizes.

steve s 07-05-2013 10:05 PM

Larry Brumfield was very clear about torqueing after motor cooled back down.

chopo 07-06-2013 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=Duffy1;683251]If you have the new type head gasket with the silicon around the bolt holes you retorque with the engine stone cold. This is the type I use . Instructions say to retorque twice once after running the engine for a while and then letting it get stone cold and retorque and a second time at 500 miles . I have found that it takes about 5 retorques before the head gasket stabilizes.[/QUOTE

this is the gasket i used also. it says cold

James Rogers 07-06-2013 06:42 AM

Always cold. You want all the expansion to be out of the iron when torquing.

tudoor 07-06-2013 06:46 AM

Doesn't metal expand when warm? So when cold, you would have the head and block at the smallest size?

1931 flamingo 07-06-2013 07:04 AM

This is getting to be like what kind of oil should I use. Re-torque it hot or cold until it stops tightening. Or alternate. No where is it written that you can only do it once or twice. JMO
Paul in CT

Mitch//pa 07-06-2013 08:16 AM

i recommend torquing hot and cold...:eek:

Duffy1 07-06-2013 10:13 AM

If you use the head gasket with silicone it must be torqued cold or you will deform the silicone when hot.

jmeckel 07-06-2013 10:13 AM

When I purchased my A the head gasket was seeping, the car has a little over 90,000 miles and came from a old guy who purchased it when he was a teenager and had it all his life. I can only assume he worked on the motor as it has very good compression and uses no oil between changes. I have torqued the head cold, hot and warm, at least 10 times, using a good snap-on calibrated toque wrench. The gasket no loner seeps, so my recommendation based on how it worked for me is once or twice is a good start, but you need to do it a few more times over time. If you do it right with a known good toque wrench you are not going to over toque, and it does not take long to do.

Just my opinion, it is your car do what you want.

msmaron 07-06-2013 11:17 AM

So basically you have NO Answer here,, just opinions...welcome to the Ford Barn!! :D

Kohnke Rebabbitting 07-06-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 683385)
i recommend torquing hot and cold...:eek:

Mitch is right, do the first torque or two Hot, if you wait until it cools down, and you have antifreeze, chances are the antifreeze will leak into the sealed area, and antifreeze will leak in where gas will not go, as the first torque, the bolts will be loose

Then when there is no more to gain hot, do the next one or two cold.

Purdy Swoft 07-06-2013 11:44 AM

When using copper clad head gaskets and grade five studs, I run the engine 20 minutes and retorque hot. The reason that I retorque hot the first time is that you lose so much torque after the first installation that I feel that a quick retorque is needed before coolant (tap water) starts to enter the combustion chambers. I torque several times until the studs will hold 55 ft. lbs. torque . I only retorque hot the first time and all other retorqueings cold. When grade 8 studs are used, it sometimes only needs to be retorqued once or twice before it holds. The down side of the grade 8 studs is that when one breaks off in the block, it will be much harder to deal with than a grade 5 stud. Snyder heads only need 55 ft. lbs. torque and grade 5 studs. Truth be known, the 5.9 heads work fine with 55 ft. lbs. torque and grade 5 studs as well. I've been running 5.9 heads on two of my model A's with grade five studs and 55 ft. lbs. for over ten years with with no problems.

columbiA 07-06-2013 01:40 PM

I,too,used the grade 5 studs & torqued the 5.9 head to 55 ft lbs about 4 times until torque held & no problems in the last 14,000 miles.

spike 07-06-2013 02:04 PM

I would go with what James says....I my self run it dry for 5 to 7 min let it sit and get stone cold and re rorque,....second time straight water for coolant run it and get it hot and let it get stone cold and retourque. Have had no problems with head gasket leaks with the new gasket and stock heads.

Mike V. Florida 07-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 683481)
So basically you have NO Answer here,, just opinions...welcome to the Ford Barn!! :D

Some things don't have absolute answers and it has nothing to do with Fordbarn.