The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   early rear cam journal question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310167)

old ugly 02-19-2022 11:00 AM

early rear cam journal question

2 Attachment(s)
have you done this modification?
what size drill bit did you use?
what sort of success did you have?
thank you
ou

J Franklin 02-19-2022 11:41 AM

Re: early rear cam journal question

I think that was done at the dealership as a recall or when the Ford was brought in for service. I doubt there are any engines that did not get that modification.

old ugly 02-19-2022 11:50 AM

i have two that are not drilled and i was going to attempt it.

J Franklin 02-19-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old ugly (Post 2106147)
i have two that are not drilled and i was going to attempt it.

I am truely surprised! They must have never seen a Ford garage in their entire life. Are they standard bore engines?

old ugly 02-19-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 2106165)
I am truely surprised! They must have never seen a Ford garage in their entire life. Are they standard bore engines?

lol ! no one of them is .100 over and the other is .080 over.

the front journal is drilled 1/4' and the centre is oiled through the pump drive gallery.

i don't have one here to check the rear size feed hole.
i am wondering what size drill i need to do the rear one?
same as the front?

denniskliesen 02-19-2022 04:17 PM

My original numbers matching early block was not drilled. I drilled it but it was already too late as the journal was worn quite a bit.

Gene F 02-19-2022 04:31 PM

I suspect that my engine has the hole, or my rebuilder drilled it. He pressurized the center main, because he does them on every rebuild.

I always wondered if the shavings outweighed the benefit. Of course if the engine is apart, that changes things.

PC/SR 02-19-2022 05:21 PM

I would use 3/16" which is what my stock one looks like by eyeball micrometer. You can buy long ones to get in there. Have not done it myself, but does not look difficult if you go slow.

old ugly 02-19-2022 05:24 PM

i just found the original service bulletin on drilling this gallery. 3/16" is what ford recommends

thank you
ou

old ugly 02-19-2022 05:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here is a bit more info. it seams writer of the first book didn;t think it was important to include the drill size.

Synchro909 02-19-2022 06:37 PM

I've done that. The drill was about 3/16" or 11/64". It was "long series" drill I acquired somewhere along the way. I started with great trepidation but once I had, I figured I was committed. The alignment of the hole was carefully determined and controlled by my "eyeometer" and nothing else. Everything worked out fine.

old ugly 02-19-2022 06:50 PM

i just did one block, a spare, and the alignment suggested on the book comes out a bit farther forward than center. but is good. the hardest part is starting the drill on the angle into the cast.
i had to start with a fatter drill bit that wouldn/t flex, once i had the location hole started as a guide i when to 3/16.
by eyeometer you probably did a more accurate job.