The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Opinion on a 36LB motor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308730)

rockfla 01-11-2022 03:04 PM

Opinion on a 36LB motor

What would a consensus value be for a 36LB engine....Complete but otherwise unknown condition.... FAIR offer/price??

Thanks
Rockfla

Rodrelic 01-11-2022 03:18 PM

Re: Opinion on a 36LB motor

Rarity would be the reason to chase it, pig in a poke but depends on how much you can gamble.

rockfla 01-11-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrelic (Post 2093982)
Rarity would be the reason to chase it, pig in a poke but depends on how much you can gamble.

RIGHT??? Even being an LB I myself wouldn't want to gamble much!!! But a friend in "NEED"

flatford8 01-11-2022 03:53 PM

I would start by making sure it is an LB block ….. Mark

KiWinUS 01-11-2022 03:55 PM

I would not guess at value without seeing general condition. I would like an LB for myself also have a customer wanting one.

rockfla 01-11-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiWinUS (Post 2093996)
I would not guess at value without seeing general condition. I would like an LB for myself also have a customer wanting one.

Tony, I think you and I are one in the same. Same person!!!! I "may" need to get a phone number so I can "maybe" text you pictures and info so you can give me a thumbs up.

Bored&Stroked 01-11-2022 04:18 PM

Really tough to put a price on one . . . unless you know the block is good (magged, sonic tested and pressure tested).

I won't pay more than about $200 for an unknown as I'm going to put another $250 into it and about a day of time screwing around with it - just to determine whether it is good or not. And if it is not, then I have a big turd to get rid of . . . of which I have too many already.

If the block has been cleaned, checked out and has machine shop paperwork with it, then I think the block is worth $1000 or so . . . if somebody understands what it takes to actually get one to that stage.

Ggmac 01-11-2022 05:37 PM

Pm sent to the op , Rockfla. Have 2 running and on stands

KiWinUS 01-11-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2093999)
Tony, I think you and I are one in the same. Same person!!!! I "may" need to get a phone number so I can "maybe" text you pictures and info so you can give me a thumbs up.

You are correct. Cheers

Lawson Cox 01-11-2022 08:20 PM

I don't understand all of the lust over an LB engine. Nobody can see it. Babbitt works just as well as loose bearings for all practical reasons. YOU, personally, are never going to wear out poured bearings in YOUR lifetime. Spend your bucks on more practical things like wine, women and whatever. My 2¢.

Kurt in NJ 01-12-2022 12:02 AM

Having a 36 I bought a few LB engines, every one was cracked, the cylinder walls are thin, break through and loose most of original cylinders when sleeving , 2 of them were running ok even though they had intake valve seat cracks---- most other engines I have had good luck in buying blocks without problem cracks.
At Hershey I was looking at a 36 engine that most likely was LB, it turned over but had no compression on 2 cylinders, logistics of moving it kept me from buying it for 200$--- I did buy a T engine for 10$ because it also came with a stand on wheels ( good block, standard bore, no cracks)

Tim Ayers 01-12-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 2094128)
Having a 36 I bought a few LB engines, every one was cracked, the cylinder walls are thin, break through and loose most of original cylinders when sleeving , 2 of them were running ok even though they had intake valve seat cracks---- most other engines I have had good luck in buying blocks without problem cracks.
At Hershey I was looking at a 36 engine that most likely was LB, it turned over but had no compression on 2 cylinders, logistics of moving it kept me from buying it for 200$--- I did buy a T engine for 10$ because it also came with a stand on wheels ( good block, standard bore, no cracks)

Kurt,

Was that you pushing that T motor at the end of the day in the Orange Field?

Tim

JM 35 Sedan 01-12-2022 10:23 AM

Even though I own several '36, 21 stud LB engines, I'd personally rather have a '37 block over a '36 LB in my '35 drivers. A '37, early '38, 21 stud block is much more versatile, and can be built into a better performing engine compared to a '36 LB. It can also be built to look like a '32-'36 engine, with water pumps mounted on front of heads, and block off plates on front of block, or it can be built with 21 stud, water outlets in center of heads, and '37-'48 water pumps mounted on front of block.

flatjack9 01-12-2022 10:32 AM

I sold an LB block several years ago for $800. Cleaned, magged and pressure tested. Don't remember what the bore was.

Charlie ny 01-12-2022 02:03 PM

Heart breaking core shift proclivity.
Charlie ny

Kurt in NJ 01-12-2022 03:55 PM

Yes, as I was pushing the T engine other people kept adding to the pile, the guy I shared a booth with heard the squeaking of the wheels at the other end of the aisle and said he knew it must be me bringing more heavy stuff back, that harbor freight engine stand has plastic wheels that show no wear aft at least a 1/2 mile

blucar 01-13-2022 12:39 PM

I seem to recall that there is actually no way to know if a '36 originally had an LB engine. I have read that Ford continued using the babbitt bearing engines for a couple years to use them up.
I have been told that you should not use detergent oil in an engine that has babbitt bearings.
Several years ago we had several stationary engines running various machine in my business, when we had the engines rebuilt the machine shop would install insert bearings in lieu of babbitt, then we could use normal 20-50 Castorol GTX in the engine.

Lawrie 01-13-2022 03:28 PM

There is a way to tell if its a LB engine from the outside
Lawrie

bobH 01-13-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 2094554)
There is a way to tell if its a LB engine from the outside
Lawrie

Well, yes, sort of, if it was a Canadian built engine. Would you trust that, for all 36 engines? And, if you are referring to the 'stamp', that's not reliable, either.
Obviously, my opinion.

Lawrie 01-13-2022 06:46 PM

Not the stamp but the two hokes in the pan area used to set up the block for machine at the factory, there is one on the front of the engine ,look at an old post as there is a pic of it.
Lawrie