The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   34 & 35 tacoma creme paint code. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285463)

cas3 08-11-2020 06:44 PM

34 & 35 tacoma creme paint code.

need to paint some wheels for a friend, 34 tacoma creme. got the code for ditzler/ppg off the paint reference.com site as qde319. went to my paint store today, he said it looked like an odd number, then called the distributor and they said its an obsolete number, no other codes show up. any body got that color code handy for me? thanks

Floyd 08-11-2020 06:58 PM

Re: 34 & 35 tacoma creme paint code.

I think this is the easiest and best way to get there. Others will offer better ideas. None of the old paint code formulas are any good since the paints and tints are not available. I used the color chip book put out by I believe PPG showing chips of all the colors by year. Take it to your friendly paint shop and have them scan it with their computer scanner and you will have the formula for the paint of choice. Other than that have them do an "eyeball" match to the chip. I did this for may wheels which I shot in tacoma creme. Real single stage correct color paint is way better than powder coat which will be by definition be the wrong color. For pinstriping I eyeballed a mix of One Shot to match my wheels.

rbone 08-11-2020 07:01 PM

cas3, let us know what you end up doing. I have a set of 17" wheels I need to paint Tacoma Creme as well.

cas3 08-11-2020 07:14 PM

something else i found, will these numbers work? will try tomorrow. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244449

cas3 08-12-2020 01:55 PM

todays news. using the new number from the link above, 1245 (ppg) tacoma creme does have a mix, but only in concept, they're top line paint. its good stuff, but very expensive, i seldom use it. the distributor on the phone said the computer shows this mix, actually a Mercedes color, to be the best match, and available in they're cheaper lines, mtk, and mae. that mix is, weizengelb 24876 . i did not research the dupont number, ys314, as my local store is a ppg operation. the color looks good to me, but in truth i have nothing to compare it to!!

Jim in Wisconsin 08-13-2020 07:04 PM

I painted the wheels on my 33 with TCP Global IM1245 Tacoma Cream acrylic enamel. It was real nice paint and it sure looks like the right color to me.

cas3 08-13-2020 10:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
thanks for the info Jim, another option for the next guy. i bought the Benz paint, and got the first wheel painted today. now i'll take the opportunity for some shameless bragging about my swell painting machine i made a few years ago. it was mainly made for doing ford wheels, but i have made a few attachments for other jobs as well. one, a bracket to hold a gas tank to rotate for a couple days with denatured alcohol to clean the varnish out. and, that bracket, like a shelf really, can have anything mounted on it with some ingenuity. headlight buckets for example, really any thing you want a nice finish on. the nice finish comes from the fact that its rotating at 5rpm. so, no skill required, you can thin it, and spray all the paint you want, and no runs, no drips, no errors. especially good for wire wheels which are hard to cover all areas. the bad news is its one wheel at a time, with a day in between to cure before i dismount and go on to the next. it seems that even the bugs here in the swamp dont like it because its moving. now i better quit, i know all you fellas are jealous, and may not sleep well tonight. some pics....