The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   using pressurized oil pot (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165502)

bergie 04-03-2015 02:41 PM

using pressurized oil pot

I had a late model Mercury FH rebuilt about five years ago but haven't found the time to get the vehicle it was intended for finished. I rotated it occasionally using the crankshaft pulley nut but lately it won't rotate and I'm afraid of putting too much force to the crankshaft nut. I also am afraid of using the starter to turn it in case the ring gear or starter might get chewed up. Another FH enthusiast has suggested I use a pressurized oil pot to force oil throughout this engine to see if that helps. I do have access to an oil pot but don't know where the best place to connect the output to accomplish the best lubrication possible by this method. I am thinking of removing the oil pressure sensor and hooking the pot to that fitting. Is there a better fitting to use? I am thanking all in advance for any input/ideas.

40cpe 04-03-2015 06:02 PM

Re: using pressurized oil pot

Will it rotate any? Back and forth? I'm thinking of all the parts that could stick and not be lubricated by a pressure pot. Maybe pour some MMO in the cylinders in case the rings are stuck. Let set and try to rock it over every now and then. The pot will surely help the bearings but do they often stick?

bergie 04-03-2015 06:40 PM

Thanks for the reply 40cpe. No, it doesn't seem to rock either direction. I have never used MMO but will try it if the pressure pot doesn't help the situation. In my defense I have regularly sprayed Stabil fogging oil in each cylinder during the time since it was rebuilt. I want to drop the oil pan and try to see if the crankshaft is trying to flex but is being stopped by some other internal part. Also I believe I could find a decent place to pry (carefully) on the ring gear with the oil pan off. This engine is in a '50 f1 with the exhaust crossover so close under the oil pan that I don't think I can get the pan off without taking the exhaust off. Not that I'm particularly lazy but once I heard about this pressure pot tool I think I would like to try that first on the chance it might work. As you suggested, the pressure pot might not get lubrication to every place it is needed. I am wondering where the best place would be to inject the oil to get maximum lubrication to the places that are likely starving for it.

Ken/Alabama 04-03-2015 06:52 PM

Are you positive the starter bendix isn't the culprit?

bergie 04-03-2015 07:39 PM

Thanks Ken/Alabama. Do you mean the Bendix could be engaged with the ring gear teeth and that could be keeping the engine from being turned? Wouldn't have thought that but I'll remove the starter completely and see.

Ken/Alabama 04-03-2015 07:42 PM

Yes ,it can and does happen.

tubman 04-03-2015 07:47 PM

If that's not it, or any other problem that is obvious, you are in for a complete teardown, at least as this is a complete fresh rebuild. Sorry, anything less will be taking a big chance wih new parts.

Ol' Ron 04-03-2015 08:05 PM

My guess is the rings, If it were the cam you could probably rock it. If you take the pan off there are larg holes in the crank for a bar to pry it loose. To make it easier I'd squirt a liberal amt of 50/50 mix in each chamber and let it set for a few days. Were the plugs out??

WestCoast 04-03-2015 08:36 PM

I think the mix ole ron is talking about is 50-50 mix of acetone and auto trans fluid

41ford1 04-03-2015 09:04 PM

" I am thinking of removing the oil pressure sensor and hooking the pot to that fitting. Is there a better fitting to use?"
That will work fine. I've used a cheap plastic pump up garden sprayer to do this for oil priming on some some fresh rebuilds. Shoot some MMO or trans fluid in the cylinders. Leave the plugs out and let it sit a couple of days. Prime the oil system. Try to turn it.

Was this engine put together with assembly lube applied to all moving parts? Not only journals but to include lifters and valve stems. Any thing that could stick from light rust.

Jack E/NJ 04-03-2015 09:37 PM

>>>I'm afraid of putting too much force to the crankshaft nut. I also am afraid of using the starter to turn it in case the ring gear or starter might get chewed up.>>>

Sorry, but from your description of what you've done over the past 5 years, you may be a bit too afraid. If it were mine, I'd squirt a liberal amount of MMO into each cylinder. Let it set a day or so. Then use a breaker bar with an extension on it for control to gently nudge the crankshaft nut a little bit at a time till it turns easily.

Jack E/NJ

WestCoast 04-03-2015 10:01 PM

a pressurized oil pot is usually used to find oil leaks in an engine, at the rod journals, main bearings, cam bearings and other parts of the engine that has a pressure leak

Binx 04-03-2015 10:14 PM

Sounds like a mouse problem. I'd suggest squirting the 50/50 acetone/trans fluid into the cylinders then use a hyd jack to lightly lift a breaker bar with socket to the pulley for a few days. If the exhaust, intake, road draft, or fuel pump mounts are open, mice may have found their way in. If the jack/breaker bar method doesn't work, you may have a mouse nest in the lifter valley jamming up the lifters with pee rust.

Lonnie

big job 04-04-2015 04:36 AM

Mouse power? Heres a good one In an auction I bought a 1956 T800 one owner
never seen asphalt original tubless tires power steering 4,000 mile truck ok thats
a little history. 332 Y block 5 & a 4 (OD). Clutch disk stuck. From experience only
fix for a stuck clutch is loosen pressure bolts. So I pull the clutch pan and holy
smokes, you know that expanding foam you buy, well thats what it looked like.
Big question is how in hell can a rat get in there ? Most flywheel pans only have a
1/8 or so weep hole in the bottom as this one. Mouse/ rat same to me, going through
that little hole is impossible or is it. These truck bellhousings have a louvered small
vent on the top, louvers are about 3/16 still to small to squeeze through or does
the rat have rubber bones?????? I dont know.

51504bat 04-04-2015 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=big job;1062761]Mouse power? Heres a good one In an auction I bought a 1956 T800 one owner
never seen asphalt original tubless tires power steering 4,000 mile truck ok thats
a little history. 332 Y block 5 & a 4 (OD). Clutch disk stuck. From experience only
fix for a stuck clutch is loosen pressure bolts. So I pull the clutch pan and holy
smokes, you know that expanding foam you buy, well thats what it looked like.
Big question is how in hell can a rat get in there ? Most flywheel pans only have a
1/8 or so weep hole in the bottom as this one. Mouse/ rat same to me, going through
that little hole is impossible or is it. These truck bellhousings have a louvered small
vent on the top, louvers are about 3/16 still to small to squeeze through or does
the rat have rubber bones?????? I dont know.[/QUOT
A full grown rat can get through a hole the size of your thumb or smaller. Don't ask me how I know.