The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Nitrocellulose automotive paint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331079)

Bryan Markell 09-19-2023 01:48 PM

Black Nitrocellulose automotive paint

Touching up an original 1941 southern California Mercury coupe and the painter would like to try Nitrocellulose to do a blend. I have heard from Jeff Hirsh today that they no longer produce the product. May I ask the members here if there is a known source?

slug 09-19-2023 02:37 PM

Re: Black Nitrocellulose automotive paint

Try TCP Global

Ggmac 09-19-2023 04:15 PM

I use to get mine from a piano refinisher . It was imported from Czech or Hungary istill have some . I could check tomorrow if you wish .
Gary
Ps , this was in 2006 so...

Bryan Markell 09-19-2023 04:35 PM

I appreciate the replies and anything that might be done to locate the product. Bryan

Bob C 09-19-2023 04:43 PM

They also use it to finish guitars.

Bored&Stroked 09-19-2023 06:00 PM

Might be worth checking out:

https://oxfordguitarsupply.com/product/black-ebony/

Willit Stop 09-19-2023 06:42 PM

I believe nitrocellulose is another word for lacquer. If so, it is prone to checking and crazing mostly because it's brittle and will not expand and contract as much the metal does. It's no longer legal to sell in automotive paint stores in California. You might look into single stage acrylic enamel or urethane followed with a blender on the over sprayed edges.

rustythumb 09-19-2023 07:10 PM

if that paint is factory, it would be enamel, i think.

Bored&Stroked 09-19-2023 08:11 PM

There are multiple types of lacquer paint - nitrocellulose being the one that DuPont invented over 100 years ago. There is also acrylic lacquer - and even some water-based stuff that Sherwin-Williams is putting out.

As another person noted, the original paint was enamel, but it is not easy to patch and feather in enamel paint and have it blend well. Today, most folks use a base + clear combination, which never quite looks like hand-rubbed enamel or lacquer.

deuce_roadster 09-19-2023 08:26 PM

Trying to blend lacquer either nitro or acrylic with enamel will make instant "alligator skin" checks. Lacquer color is mostly lacquer thinner which reacts adversely with enamel.
This is not a good idea if the color being blended with is NOT lacquer.

Bryan Markell 09-19-2023 08:50 PM

Yes, the original finish is enamel..

Thank you folks for the information and thoughtful advice. Bryan

Kube 09-20-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 2256724)
Trying to blend lacquer either nitro or acrylic with enamel will make instant "alligator skin" checks. Lacquer color is mostly lacquer thinner which reacts adversely with enamel.
This is not a good idea if the color being blended with is NOT lacquer.

Exactly! A lesson learned (painfully) in my younger days.

cas3 09-20-2023 08:21 PM

yup, lacquer thinner is like the top of the food chain for auto paint solvents.

deuce_roadster 09-20-2023 09:57 PM

Haaha, yeah Mike, any of us who started painting back in the day when lacquer was still plentiful, learned that lesson the hard way! I am pretty sure I have had every type of problem associated with automotive paints there is.

tubman 09-20-2023 09:59 PM

Luckily for me, I first experienced that "effect" on an $.89 model airplane, not a full-size car.:o

Bored&Stroked 09-21-2023 08:06 AM

Lacquer over enamel - did it all the time.

BUT - not if the enamel was in poor shape and also with a sealer underneath on the main areas. One then has to color-sand and blend. The vast majority of spot/panel repairs in the 70's was all lacquer. We never attempted to blend enamel into enamel.

Today, because of new materials (vastly superior to lacquer) everybody does base-coat, clear-coat. It is a very different world . . . and a super-expensive one!