The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ?? Float a Motor rear mount (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270620)

Russ/40 10-08-2019 03:39 PM

?? Float a Motor rear mount

I would be appreciative if someone could post a photo of the rear float a motor mount installed. I am considering using one to add support for my '39 transmission installed. I have two pieces of a mount and wonder if there is a third piece.

NZ28ModelA 10-08-2019 04:22 PM

Re: ?? Float a Motor rear mount

Morning!

If someone doesn't do it sooner. i should have a couple of pics for you tomorrow morning..

Kindest regards

PalAl 10-08-2019 05:14 PM

This might help
https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+float-a-motor+installed+on+Model+A+Ford&rlz=1C1PRFC_enUS70 5US705&oq=picture+of+float-a-motor+installed+on+Model+A+Ford&aqs=chrome..69i57j 33.26478j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Purdy Swoft 10-08-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 1807717)
I would be appreciative if someone could post a photo of the rear float a motor mount installed. I am considering using one to add support for my '39 transmission installed. I have two pieces of a mount and wonder if there is a third piece.

There is a cast iron part that mounts at the rear and there is a square or slightly rectangular thinner steel part with two bolt holes . A mostly square rubber block fits against the lower lip of the center cross member . there should be two bolts that are used to attach the thinner steel part with two holes . The steel part lays on top of the rubber block and when the two long bolts get tightened it raises and stabilizes the rear of the transmission .Without this mount , there will be chatter, or it waS FOR ME .

Joop 10-08-2019 06:13 PM

We tried it on a friends car that has the 39 transmission BUT the clam shells around the universal joint are wider and the 1928-1931 FLM rear bracket did not fit.

Russ/40 10-08-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joop (Post 1807760)
We tried it on a friends car that has the 39 transmission BUT the clam shells around the universal joint are wider and the 1928-1931 FLM rear bracket did not fit.

Did you use the V8 clamshell or the A clamshell?

Just went out to check the fit. The "A" piece from the kit is about 1/4" wider than the clamshell on my truck.

I purchased the rear mount that I found on the "attic" sale on "Mike's A's" website for $5, It's an aluminum version.
I would be interested in seeing any self made versions on other 39/A installations, and hearing about your experiences.

Joop 10-11-2019 07:15 AM

It must have been the V8 one

31Abone 10-11-2019 11:44 PM

Remenber rear floaters will change your caster..measure with old style then adjust floats to match..sc

redmodelt 10-12-2019 08:47 PM

RE; Remenber rear floaters will change your caster..measure with old style then adjust floats to match..sc

People have been installing float a motor mounts for years, please elaborate on what you mean. Are you talking about the rear transmission support?

31Abone 10-12-2019 09:34 PM

Caster is controlled by height of bell housing in relation to frame..,Ford original style rear motor mounts were designed to have proper caster for front axle..when one installsl float a motor rear mounts they are usaully at a different height than original...had this happen to me ..car was darting all over the road after floats were installed but steered good with original mounts..if you have original mounts then measure exact level of bell housing in relation to frame, then adjust your float pads up or down to match.. sc

The Master Cylinder 10-13-2019 12:23 AM

I think you would have to change the height of the engine quite a bit to change the caster very much. It has been awhile but I seem to remember you have to lower the radius rod mounting ~¾" to change caster 1° at the spindles.

31Abone 10-13-2019 10:28 AM

My car was a 31 tudor that had a bad vibrating motor , steered good until I put floats on rear of motor which by the way did not help much ,but it did change the steering ,but I failed to measure exact height of wishbone ball before I installed floats, sold car shortly thereafter so I never fixed it back correctly..got no idea how much it was lowered or raised radius ball ,but it was enough to screw the steering.