The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Polishing a fire extinguisher (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269243)

3twinridges 09-09-2019 07:09 PM

Polishing a fire extinguisher

2 Attachment(s)
Spent this weekend polishing an original fire extinguisher for a 52 F1 build. I stripped the lacquer with acetone, hit with gray cutting compound, tripoli, white polish, and finally jewelers rouge. One final flannel buff with the jewelers and I am good for lacquer.

Question is on the label. I taped it off to preserve the logo and writing but it hinders the overall quality. Tips on how I can polish it also without ruining the red paint?

JB

39portlander 09-09-2019 08:18 PM

Re: Polishing a fire extinguisher

don't touch it, anything you put on it will wipe away the letters on the label. For work when needing a replacement motor or part I use grease off to clean labels enough to read a serial/model number knowing that wiping off the years of organic debris may wipe out what I need.

Even using warm water with foamy soap fades out the letters and numerals.

cas3 09-09-2019 09:34 PM

nice job! on labels like that, silk screened most likely, i use a fine polish compound, or mothers mag polish very lightly to just brighten up the color. go easy, check often with a clean soft cloth. a few swirls lightly is all it should take to get clean color again.

woodiewagon46 09-10-2019 11:21 AM

I agree with 39, don't touch it. Once you screw it up, you can't go back.

Ford Freak 09-10-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 (Post 1797585)
I agree with 39, don't touch it. Once you screw it up, you can't go back.

Leave it alone !!

copgib 09-10-2019 05:23 PM

Just for information, I for one collect Fire Extinguisher and can assure you if it is a old bottle and you shine it up, it may look great, but you just dropped the value of it alot. If you don't care then thats fine. A shiny bottle on a old car sets it off. Just thought I would add my 2-cents though.

leon bee 09-10-2019 05:52 PM

My new go-to cleaner is Marvel Mystery Oil. Seriously, it works great. Last thing I shined up with it was a vintage actual MMO metal can I found in the trash.

Newc 09-10-2019 06:25 PM

Yeh; For the WW2 trucks those extinguishers are necessary and a big deal for judging. Just dispose of the carbon-tet if present. I actually saved my high school chevy with a carbon-tet and it was not pleasant stuff. Newc

3twinridges 09-10-2019 06:32 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I will take it straight into lacquer as tempting as it is to restore the label! Afraid any buffing will remove the ID number on it.

JB

Royal Ryser 09-11-2019 12:26 PM

What kind of lacquer are you planning to use? Would it be sufficient for use on a brass rail?
Thanks