The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Parasitic draw at turn signal on column (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268340)

bosstime2 08-23-2019 11:15 AM

Parasitic draw at turn signal on column

6volt positive ground set up. Turn signal switch is drawing current with key off. Switch bad? Bad ground? What should I be looking for? Thanks

Keith True 08-23-2019 11:54 AM

Re: Parasitic draw at turn signal on column

If you have a stock ignition system the key should have no effect on the power to the turn signal switch.All the ignition switch does is to send the juice to ground,through the points.Is this actually pulling the battery down when parked? I ask this because a few years ago I talked to a man that thought he had a draw because his signal switch had power with the ignition turned off.He just didn't realize his ignition switch did not feed anything.

bosstime2 08-23-2019 12:09 PM

Power to the turn signal switch goes from the starter with an in-line fuse

alexiskai 08-23-2019 12:47 PM

How much current draw are we talking about? What shows on the ammeter?

Keith True 08-23-2019 01:18 PM

Well that narrowed it down a lot.With a direct line from the battery cable to the switch there won't be any draw through the ammeter.Also,look at a signal switch wiring diagram.Your power should be going to the flasher first,not to the switch.At least,that's how it's been done with universal switches for years.If it has power feeding the P wire on the switch,I believe it can do what yours is doing.P means pilot,not power.

bosstime2 08-23-2019 01:27 PM

Keith thank you! I’ll check it out when I get home

bosstime2 08-23-2019 01:29 PM

And the reason I know there is a draw is because the turn signal switch light stays on when it’s in a neutral position

CarlG 08-23-2019 03:06 PM

All the more reason to suspect that you have power going to the P (pilot.)

Badpuppy 08-24-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosstime2 (Post 1791184)
And the reason I know there is a draw is because the turn signal switch light stays on when it’s in a neutral position

Tells me there's a short inside the TS switch. The pilot light should be disconnected from the flasher in the center position. Open it up and see if you can pull the wires away from the contacts at the bottom.

Bill G 08-24-2019 08:14 PM

Make sure the TS signal switch body is grounded. You might have an open ground.