The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Problems starting when hot (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283107)

moonraker 06-24-2020 10:36 AM

Problems starting when hot

Dear friends, I took my '39 Fordor for a short trip around Moscow and everything was fine until I got stuck in a traffic jam. The temp crept to ~200 degrees. Then I accidentally stalled the engine and it didn't want to start with a starter. The smell of gas was an indication of no spark. I asked bystanders to push the car and it started immediately. Can you tell me what the cause possibly be?
Thanks in advance!

19Fordy 06-24-2020 10:39 AM

Re: Problems starting when hot

Any loose wires or bad grounds?
Did you "pop the clutch" to get it started again while being pushed?

Vics Stuff 06-24-2020 10:59 AM

When you indicate that it did not start , would the engine turn over with using the starter and engine would not start or did the starter not even turn over the engine.
Vic

moonraker 06-24-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vics Stuff (Post 1902442)
When you indicate that it did not start , would the engine turn over with using the starter and engine would not start or did the starter not even turn over the engine.
Vic

Sorry, forgot to mention - the starter had difficulty turning the engine the first one or two turns and then it continued to turn the engine with now problems, as fast as it does when cold.

richard crow 06-24-2020 11:04 AM

do they have reg gas in russia or the ethnal crap if you pushed it & it started it might have flooded or the gas boiled

moonraker 06-24-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1902434)
Any loose wires or bad grounds?
Did you "pop the clutch" to get it started again while being pushed?

All wires look fine, I have battery kill switch on ground terminal with ground two ground wires - one to the body and one to the stud on a passenger cylinder head

Can you explain what "pop the clutch" means? I press the clutch, shifted into the second gear, once people pushed the car fast fast enough, I released the clutch - it started right away.

moonraker 06-24-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard crow (Post 1902446)
do they have reg gas in russia or the ethnal crap if you pushed it & it started it might have flooded or the gas boiled

we are lucky so far - no ethanol gas in mandated and sold in Russia. In some rural areas you can still get 78 octane gas, but it's being phased out by refineries.
I don't think I flooded it since I know how to start hot carburated engine - with the gas pedal held to the floor

51504bat 06-24-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 1902449)
All wires look fine, I have battery kill switch on ground terminal with ground two ground wires - one to the body and one to the stud on a passenger cylinder head

Can you explain what "pop the clutch" means? I press the clutch, shifted into the second gear, once people pushed the car fast fast enough, I released the clutch - it started right away.

That would be popping the clutch

JSeery 06-24-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 1902449)

This is what it means in American slang.

moonraker 06-24-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1902457)
That would be popping the clutch

:) thanks for clarification!

moonraker 06-24-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1902459)
This is what it means in American slang.

Thanks! a new entry in my vocabulary of American slang. "Pop some tags", "pop the clutch"... :)

JSeery 06-24-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 1902465)
Thanks! a new entry in my vocabulary of American slang. "Pop some tags", "pop the clutch"... :)

Ok, now I have to ask, what does "Pop some tags" refer to? :)

tubman 06-24-2020 12:42 PM

Sounds like a marginal coil to me. The coil becomes hot and looses some of it's "zing". It will run all right when it's the only thing taking electricity, but when you add up the extra load imposed by starting a hot engine, there's just not enough there to turn it over and produce enough spark from a coil in a degraded condition.

19Fordy 06-24-2020 01:17 PM

moonraker, I suspect that your starter needs to be rebuild or that your battery needs replacement. With a good fully charged battery the starter should keep cranking.

V8COOPMAN 06-24-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1902495)
Ok, now I have to ask, what does "Pop some tags" refer to? :)

Al Gore's internet says: 'Pop some tags' means that you're swapping one price label for a cheaper price label in a store.

grumppyoldman 06-24-2020 01:49 PM

Check the ballast resistor under the dash, if it has one. My 41 would do the same as what you described. I cleaned all the grounds and connections on the fuse block where the resistor is locatedfd and no more hard hot starts. Do this first before buying more parts. Good luck Al

moonraker 06-24-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1902529)
Al Gore's internet says: 'Pop some tags' means that you're swapping one price label for a cheaper price label in a store.

yep, that's what it means.

moonraker 06-24-2020 03:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate this!
the battery is fresh, the starter has about 2000 mi on it, should be fine.

I'll start with checking ballast resistor and all the wires. Can this problem be attributed to a coil condenser?

Will D 06-24-2020 03:14 PM

moonraker 06-24-2020 03:20 PM

Ok, I don't have a spare coil, but I have a spare condenser. I'll replace it and see if it helps