The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Body Assembly Number Stamp Photos (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327334)

A Model A 06-04-2023 07:21 PM

Body Assembly Number Stamp Photos

Hello Model A'ers! We are looking for some good quality photos of the assembly plant stamping that appeared on the body subframes. We're especially hoping to get photos of the stamping that featured a number for the month and year of production. If you have a photo and you're willing to let us use it for an upcoming video please let us know! You can send us a message here or email us at amodelaford-at-gmail-dot-com Thank you in advance.

30forfun 06-05-2023 06:41 AM

Re: Body Assembly Number Stamp Photos

2 Attachment(s)
I can attempt a better photo if needed, This number is on my 1930 coupe located on the passenger side sub rail between seat and floor board. I'll check out your YouTube.....

oldspert 06-05-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Model A (Post 2231013)
Hello Model A'ers! We are looking for some good quality photos of the assembly plant stamping that appeared on the body subframes. We're especially hoping to get photos of the stamping that featured a number for the month and year of production. If you have a photo and you're willing to let us use it for an upcoming video please let us know! You can send us a message here or email us at amodelaford-at-gmail-dot-com Thank you in advance.

Since I am new to this, please tell me the exact location to look for this stamping. I suspect my car was a Canadian built car. The engine number is Canadian and the car came from Michigan to Texas.

Gary WA 06-05-2023 09:37 AM

this work

oldspert 06-05-2023 09:45 AM

Is the assembly plant the same as the engine number?

Jim Mason 06-05-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldspert (Post 2231127)

No. It can be found on the cross sill of the body, near the right heel of the driver

Phil Brown 06-05-2023 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one from my 31 coupe, the largest stamp set. I have ever seen

fundytides 06-05-2023 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from my 31 Standard Roadster-Canadain built. Stamp is on doorsill/subframe on drivers side.

ModelA29 06-05-2023 01:28 PM

I have looked on both sides of the seat riser and both door sills of my 29 Coupe and can't find a number. Now judging from the 31 Roadster pic it looks like I need to pull the floor boards to check further.

ModelA29 06-05-2023 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldspert (Post 2231127)

No all engines were made and stamped at the Rouge River plant and then shipped to the assembly plants. The assembly plants stamped the same number on the chassis when the engine was installed.

Body numbers were stamped at the plants when the bodies were assembled.
I've heard some plants were better than others at stamping every frame/body

Bick in New Zealand 06-05-2023 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very early Canadian roadster. (*CA67*)

California Travieso 06-05-2023 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelA29 (Post 2231183)
I have looked on both sides of the seat riser and both door sills of my 29 Coupe and can't find a number. Now judging from the 31 Roadster pic it looks like I need to pull the floor boards to check further.

Please note that all of the photos above show the body off the frame. I don’t think you will find the number by pulling the floor boards. I believe you will have to lift the driver’s side of the body a couple of inches to reveal the number.

David Serrano

Keith True 06-05-2023 07:18 PM

Dave,these aren't the frame numbers they are looking at.These are the body assembly numbers stamped on the tops of the body subrails.Not the engine/frame serial numbers.I've always seen the stampings on the subrail just in front of the seat,but these pictures are showing some on the siderails.

rotorwrench 06-05-2023 08:13 PM

Not all types of bodies have numbering. My 29 Sport Coupe has no numbering on it.

Keith True 06-05-2023 08:27 PM

My July of 30 pickup had no subrail stamping,and I had an unrestored 29 coupe that had no stamping.My 31 coupe has stampings,but I've never bothered to look them up.I have a July of 28 phaeton,and haven't looked for stampings on that one.A 30 standard roadster and the early 30 Tudor I sold were stamped,and I did look those numbers up.I do remember one of them was assembled in Somerville Mass.

A Model A 06-06-2023 02:37 PM

Thank you to everyone who replied. This thread reinforces our belief that this is a part of the Model A a lot of people don't know about. We really appreciate those who have posted, and if you haven't posted yet, go ahead and share!

A Model A 06-07-2023 01:29 PM

Does anyone have a stamping that has the Month and Year stamped onto it? Very few plants did that but looking to see if anyone has a photo.

ldreeg 06-07-2023 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is from a mid-December 1929 produced 1930 Tudor. I believe it to be a pre-production model as the body number cannot be traced to any recognized production plant in any city.

Good luck with your project.
Larry