The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to check dist/oil pump/ timing gear backlash? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240646)

Nosetime 03-11-2018 02:19 PM

How to check dist/oil pump/ timing gear backlash?

Question for the old pros on here. How do you properly check gear backlash? Putting my motor back together and there are several checks for backlash required. Hope to see recommendations for each check, thanks in advance, Greg.

Chuck Sea/Tac 03-11-2018 03:01 PM

Re: How to check dist/oil pump/ timing gear backlash?

Timing gear is on the timing gear and crank gear. Ford specified a small backlash, however my own engine with 35,000 miles has none, and there are no problems.
The distributor lash is easily checked by moving the tightened distributor rotor back and forth. That one doesn’t matter too much because the lash is removed when setting the timing and the engine turning always keeps it at zero. If the cam/distributor drive is out you can look at the gear wear.

Nosetime 03-11-2018 03:20 PM

Thanks Chuck, but that does not help at all! LOL! I'm asking for actual method to measure the backlash. I know what "seat of the pants" feels like, just curious as to exacting methods.

1930-Pickup 03-11-2018 03:44 PM

Are you looking for something more than standard techniques for measuring gear backlash? There should be many examples online. Is one of the Model A gear measurements giving you a problem?

Nosetime 03-11-2018 04:16 PM

No, no problem, just have not seen this addressed here with searching, etc..and always find it interesting what the old school guys did.

Synchro909 03-11-2018 04:31 PM

I just wiggle them back and forth and feel the backlash. An experienced hand doesn't need any measurements. I have seen backlash in gears measured by using feeler gauges between the teeth.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-11-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1603873)
I just wiggle then back and forth and feel the backlash. An experienced hand doesn't need any measurements. I have seen backlash in gears measured by using feeler gauges between the teeth.

Synchro,
I LOVE your sign off line, at WHAT Age does that start??? I hope it's awhile after 82. Just had ALL my Lab Tests, Dr, sez I'll live to 121 1/2--LOL
Bill Young

Jim Huseby 03-13-2018 08:54 PM

A dial indicator is easy and fast for checking tmg gear lash if the valve springs are out. Otherwise, use a feeler gauge

Synchro909 03-13-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1603978)
Synchro,
I LOVE your sign off line, at WHAT Age does that start??? I hope it's awhile after 82. Just had ALL my Lab Tests, Dr, sez I'll live to 121 1/2--LOL
Bill Young

Started last week for me!!;):D

Railcarmover 03-13-2018 10:22 PM

distributor/oil pump drive is a visual inspection,oil pump drive tang should be flat with no edge rolling.

the drive cam gear should not have 'hourglass' teeth

.004 on the cam timing gear can be done with a flexible magnetic base and a dial indicator but its a pain.I do it by feel,a 'light click'.