The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   When to shut off fuel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233902)

michael a 11-24-2017 02:56 AM

When to shut off fuel

When to shut off fuel? Tell us when you shut off the fuel on your car or truck?

Mike V. Florida 11-24-2017 03:45 AM

Re: When to shut off fuel

Never

3.6rs 11-24-2017 05:58 AM

Every time I cut off the engine.

johnbuckley 11-24-2017 07:01 AM

I turn if off about 20 seconds before I switch the ignition off

kbinde2 11-24-2017 07:07 AM

I try to shut the valve off after every drive, letting the engine run to the first sign of "fuel-starvation".. the turn the key off. Both spark and idle levers go to a full up position. When I do a start-up I redo the whole procedure.. I guess the routine is a bit much, but so far works for me.!

Ray64 11-24-2017 08:00 AM

When I turn in the drive 400 ft. to the barn and on the lift. Then she quits

Anteek29 11-24-2017 08:05 AM

I do the same procedure as kbinde2.

Jacksonlll 11-24-2017 08:28 AM

If you don't turn it off, there is the chance that you could fill your garage with all the fuel in your tank due to just a stuck float valve. Turn it off and sleep well.

Dollar Bill 11-24-2017 08:48 AM

Turn it off if it will sit more than 30 minutes. Run fuel out if parking for several days.

1928Mik 11-24-2017 09:40 AM

Like Dollar Bill says. I turn valve and let the engine die, then shut key off. No fuel in bowl, no chance of leakage in garage.

Lona 11-24-2017 10:16 AM

I turn it off just before pulling into the garage. That way, it quits before filling up the building with exhaust fumes. I used to get confused about what position was open or closed until reading a hint from someone else on the forum. He said; the valve is open when it's like a rocket in a vertical position ready for takeoff.

Glen

Brendan 11-24-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1556327)
Never

all the time!

Keith True 11-24-2017 10:47 AM

I just automaticly shut mine off whenever I stop the car and get out.When I was a kid an old woman with an A told me,down and out.If the handle is hanging straight down the fuel is going out.Now I do have a couple of old aftermarket shutoffs,where the lever position is reversed.Parallel to the tank is on,and straight down is off.I don't know where they came from,I got them in buckets of A stuff years ago.I would guess JC Whitney,as the man that had them died long before Ricks came along.

DJ S 11-24-2017 10:48 AM

As I'm pulling into the garage, I turn it off.

Dick Steinkamp 11-24-2017 11:15 AM

The "Instruction Book" makes no mention of the fuel shut off valve. I would think that if it was important to turn it off every time you stopped that it would be mentioned.

Henry moved the valve under the hood in May of 1931. I doubt if the owners opened the hood and shut off the valve every time the car was stopped.

I guess it doesn't hurt to do it...unless it wears the valve out quicker. How often to we check the valve to insure it is actually turning off the fuel?

abachman3 11-24-2017 11:28 AM

One of my club's car games is to shut off the valve and time how long it takes to have the engine quit running. Amazingly some never stop running... guess they need to rebuild the shut-off as it isn't shutting off!

Bill G 11-24-2017 11:47 AM

Mine has never leaked, but I don't want to have a bunch of gas on the garage floor some day, so I routinely do shut it off when I park it for any length of time.

There are many things that can be done out of an abundance of caution, and this seems to be one that is regularly practiced. However, I don't know what one gains by shutting it off and running the gas in the carb bowl dry.

slammin 11-24-2017 11:54 AM

I always shut it off when it parked in the shop. If I have it out and stop for a few minutes, I leave it open. Last week I forgot to shut it off. When I returned the next morning, the shop smelled of gas fumes. I wiped the bottom of the carb. There was just a small spot on the paper towel. Just as I disconnect the battery after use, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Licensed to kill 11-24-2017 11:54 AM

What would be the point of running the bowl empty?. To my way of thinking there is no way fuel can leak once the valve is closed and there isn't anything in the bowl that could be negatively affected by fuel sitting in there, even for extended periods so, why run it dry?.

Y-Blockhead 11-24-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licensed to kill (Post 1556455)
What would be the point of running the bowl empty?. To my way of thinking there is no way fuel can leak once the valve is closed and there isn't anything in the bowl that could be negatively affected by fuel sitting in there, even for extended periods so, why run it dry?.

So the wonderful gas we get these days doesn't dry up in the float bowl??