The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do i remove the ..... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259486)

sphooch 02-20-2019 03:55 PM

How do i remove the .....

can anyone explain to me how to remove the bushing on the water pump. I have this old pump , took it apart as practice , looks as though the bushing have to be pressed out, I have a press but what special tools are needed ? I searched this site but came up empty .thanks THE HOOCH

J Franklin 02-20-2019 04:09 PM

Re: How do i remove the .....

I would support the casting well and press slowly and straight.

Gary WA 02-20-2019 07:04 PM

socket? tap out?Drive the rear bushing out the rear of the housing!

J Franklin 02-20-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1729003)
socket? tap out?Drive the rear bushing out the rear of the housing!

That's the way.

Joe K 02-20-2019 09:02 PM

The rear bushing/gland nut is a no brainer. Piece of steel, supporting pipe coupling, and a nice press should push it out the back.

There were some water pumps made which included only a pressed in bronze sleeve in the front. One report I have seen is this was done briefly by Ford as a cost cutting effort, others have said these pumps are "aftermarket."

This front bushing if that is what you have can be pressed out from the front. Again a nice piece of steel, probably 3/4 inch is where I would try first, no backer coupling required - there is room between the front bushing and the rear bushing to receive this.

Joe K

Don Turley 02-20-2019 09:12 PM

Water Pump tooling

3 Attachment(s)
This is what I use. Homemade.
Pipe = notch out to clear grease vein. It is a piece of 1-1/2" pipe about 1-1/2" long.
The other pieces are just round bar to fit.
I went back and measured them. This is what mine are, but size is not critical as long as it works.(2" dia x 1-1/4"; 5/8" dia x 4-1/4"; 3/4" dia x 1-1/2")
You must support the casting around the bushing while you are pressing, or you can break the casting.

(Joe K, I meant to post my reply to the original post, but it shows up as a reply to your post.)

Tom Wesenberg 02-21-2019 04:02 AM

I do it the same as Don. I made a brass driver to press with.

kenparker 02-21-2019 07:28 AM

Mine is kinda like Don's. 'cept I made my driver by turning down an old rear bushing. Wrks fer me. Once the old bushings are out, clean it throughly, bead blasting is the prefered way , then inspect the housing around where the rear bushing was. Some of them are cracked. Also if the rear bushing is not pressed in purrfeckly square and straight it will crack the housing. Careful and straight. A little grease will help it slide. kenp

jak 02-22-2019 07:30 AM

I've used a large socket and a big "c" clamp. Put the socket on the fan blade end and put the "C" clap over the end of the socket and the threads of the bushing and start turning.