The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Manifold Torque (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237100)

Jacksonlll 01-13-2018 11:36 AM

Manifold Torque

I have been using 45 ft.# like the red book says. Page 1-134.
Someone said that this was wrong in the red book. They were listing all the errors in Les's book. They said it should be 25 to 30 ft.#.

What is correct????

Patrick L. 01-13-2018 11:46 AM

Re: Manifold Torque

I think most folks like about 35#.

If yours is at 45#,it won't hurt a thing.

Bill in NJ 01-13-2018 12:00 PM

I can remember in auto mechanics classes years ago a student ask the same question and the teacher replied to tighten it till it breaks off and then back off one half turn ! Some how I became an ASE master mechanic.

JOHN CT 01-13-2018 12:04 PM

I was told by a reputable engine builder, to torque to 20lbs. I looked at him cross eyed thinking he was crazy. So what can I lose I torque to 20 and everything is fine. Been 2 years now no leaks.
I’m happy

Purdy Swoft 01-13-2018 12:09 PM

Like Pat says 45 foot lbs. probably won't hurt .Ford didn't list torque settings , so I've been told . Over tightening is what warps the exhaust manifold . I just use a 3/8 ratchet and a deep wall socket with common sense . After a few heat and cool cycles check and retighten . repeat as needed untill it seems to hold . When the exhaust manifold warps, the outer ends curl outwards . The exhaust manafold has no outer studs and nuts to hold the the ends flat when over tightened . Just my thoughts and experience .

Terry, NJ 01-13-2018 01:03 PM

As Purdey says, Ford didn't list torque numbers, it was just reasonably tight! About 30-35 lbs. But very important, Re torque or tighten several times after replacing the manifold. Ford mod A s are good at loosening up the heads and manifolds. Over tightening at first is not a solution. Coming back several times and retightening is.
Terry

Purdy Swoft 01-13-2018 03:29 PM

Usualy when you retighten you will feel some minor looseness on some of the manifold nuts . After a few check and retighten they should settle in and hold . Most likely the manifold gaskets will shrink after a few heat cycles and retightenings . Its not about making it tighter each time. The manifold nuts just need to hold uniform tightness. Ford furnished a wtench that was used for head nuts & manifold nuts on one end , the other end fit the 3-X spark plug . The length of the mentioned wrench was supposeto give the proper leverage for the average person to tighten these nuts and spoark plug . This wrench ,came with the car.

Roger V 01-13-2018 03:40 PM

I use 35 pounds and has worked well. There were some who used as high as 55 pounds. I think they were associating the size with head nuts which are working against compression. I agree that many statements in the "red' book are incorrect. Being in print makes it look official. One thing I stress is to tighten manifold nuts from the center outward and in stages. Nothing like trapping a bow and breaking the manifold to ruin your day. Of course you want the manifold to be on the same plane (flat, straight, etc.) as much as possible.

Jacksonlll 01-13-2018 03:53 PM

Thanks. That's a lot of good info. I'm a 35# person from now on.

Brian T 01-13-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in NJ (Post 1578636)
I can remember in auto mechanics classes years ago a student ask the same question and the teacher replied to tighten it till it breaks off and then back off one half turn ! Some how I became an ASE master mechanic.

We had a student in one of my classes that asked the teacher how many thousandths were there in an inch, the teacher replied, bloody hundreds of them.