The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   got it running (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237051)

wingski 01-12-2018 04:14 PM

got it running

Well, I got the ’29 running. It’s not running smoothly, but no leaks and it didn’t overheat after 45 minutes of sitting with the engine running. The Marvel carb didn’t leak, and is set at 1 1/2 turns out. I loosened up the retaining bolt for the distributor but couldn’t get it to turn so I tightened it up again. I was going to advance it a little.

The engine doesn’t seem to have much power when I give it gas, and it will backfire occasionally. Not bad, but still a backfire. I can’t seem to get the idle below 1500 rpm, and when I do it stalls. I turned the GAV all the way off clockwise and the car still ran so I opened 1/8 turn and left it that way.

Needless to say, I’m as happy as a bug in a rug, but I wish it was running better so I could drive it down to the end of the block and back. That back part has me a little concerned.

Mike

SeaSlugs 01-12-2018 04:39 PM

Re: got it running

sounds like your timing is all outa whack... id suggest seeking club help. that retaining bolt on the side of the head is not how you change timing - you have to pop the rotor off, loosten the screw and rotate the cam then snug the screw back down.

idle should be nice and slow.

chap52 01-12-2018 05:36 PM

At the very least go on YouTube and search for a post on "How to time a Model A". Some use a Nu-Rex tool, some a test light. Loosening the bolt will only allow you to remove the distributor.
Lots of great "How to's" on YouTube.
Enjoy the adventure...

SeaSlugs 01-12-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chap52 (Post 1578326)
At the very least go on YouTube and search for a post on "How to time a Model A". Some use a Nu-Rex tool, some a test light. Loosening the bolt will only allow you to remove the distributor.
Lots of great "How to's" on YouTube.
Enjoy the adventure...

yup youtube is a good source, nu rex wrench is really only helpful to hold the cam still IMO, then just need a wrench to reverse the timing pin and a flat head screwdriver to time it...

eagle 01-12-2018 06:43 PM

Intake manifold sounds like a possibility as well. Use starting fluid or a propane torch, unlit , to test for leaky gasket, cracked manifold, or poor mating surfaces.

Gary WA 01-12-2018 06:57 PM

http://modelabasics.com/home.htm

To_Lolo52 01-12-2018 07:28 PM

Remember point gap first (.018 - .020) then timing. Use wide blade screwdriver for cam screw. Buy the Nu-Rex tool and as above view YouTube. Jack Bahm has great instructionals. Very helpful. Do a seach.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

daveymc29 01-12-2018 07:59 PM

Spark advance all the way up, set point to 20 thousandths with the point rubbing block on the top of a cam lobe. (distributor cam) Reverse the timing pin and hold it in while you rotate the engine with a crank. It should drop in a very slight detent in the timing gear. Use a light and a mirror to be sure you are seeing that detent exactly in the center of the pin hole, then loosen the screw in the center of the cam(distributor cam) and rotate until the heel of the rotor is aligned so that the edge of the brass part is opposite the number one spark pickup in the distributor body. That should get you real close. Tighten the cam screw without moving the cam then start the car. It should start and as you wish to advance the spark a bit pul the spark advance down a few notches. On my cars when I find the TDC (top dead center) position I create three marks, two on the engine bolts that hold the timing gear cover on and one on the rear flange of the pulley so that all three marks line up. That will help me next time I want to time the car. When all three marks line up and the rotor is pointed to number one, I know I am close. I check it with a mirror and pen light, but there is some room for error as moving the spark advance should make the engine noise change noticeably as you move it up and down. I use white paint for the marks and find that to be a real time saver. Not for a high point car, but works for me on mine as they are drivers, not show cars.

1crosscut 01-12-2018 11:32 PM

The first step I take in setting timing is to verify that the advancement arm on the distributor travels fully each way in its slot. If it doesn't it will need to be corrected.

Glad you got it running! Now you can concentrate on making it run good.

burner31 01-13-2018 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very good job!
I hope you got that moment on video.
I go back every now and then and watch my first few attempts at starting, and then that first time, when she was trying, she'd fire some, fire some more, and then...she stayed running.
That moment in time you will want to watch , and relive again.

burner31 01-13-2018 09:50 AM

Distributor does not turn, you do not advance or time by turning the distributor.
Go back and read post #6

30Ford 01-13-2018 10:07 AM

I had a bad coil wire when I first got mine Checked my timing and all the obvious things first