The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stolen model A coupe in the drink. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236966)

34 GAZ 01-11-2018 09:11 AM

Stolen model A coupe in the drink.

2 Attachment(s)
Have,nt seen this here or on the h.a.m.b. Came across a news item by chance. 79 year old owner went to church on Sunday in Prineville FL. Car was stolen by a drifter who was arrested at the scene. I allways use a steeringwheel lock from the wheel to the pedal.

ricklove 01-11-2018 09:45 AM

Re: Stolen model A coupe in the drink.

If that don't make you sick to your stomach!!

29Cabriolet 01-11-2018 09:56 AM

I often tell my self there is little concern because most would not know how to start the car let alone drive it. Maybe I'm taking too much for granted. . . .

Curtis in MA 01-11-2018 10:16 AM

I usually take the fuse but leave the keys in it.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-11-2018 10:59 AM

Reminds me of a '30s Western Movie, the Guy tried to outrun the POSSEE, in a 40 Horse Model A--LOL--Hope he had his DEPENDS on!!!
Bill Cowboybuff

Lona 01-11-2018 11:02 AM

I turn off the battery disconnect switch, turn off the gas, take the key and pull the spark lever to full advance making it hard to start even if they figure out the other stuff. It's a roadster so I can't lock it.

Glen

ursus 01-11-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34 GAZ (Post 1577621)
Have,nt seen this here or on the h.a.m.b. Came across a news item by chance. 79 year old owner went to church on Sunday in Prineville FL. Car was stolen by a drifter who was arrested at the scene. I allways use a steeringwheel lock from the wheel to the pedal.

That was actually Prineville, Oregon, not Florida, which is 3600 miles away. Note the Oregon plates. I recall this from our local news a couple years ago.

34 GAZ 01-11-2018 12:56 PM

^^^^^^ I just read it today with todays date , stated Florida. ^^^^^^ Never know whats what anymore.

Jeff/Illinois 01-11-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lona (Post 1577671)
It's a roadster so I can't lock it.

Glen

:confused::confused::confused:Dang I guess those locking door handles I bought and put on the '30 Roadster won't protect the car:eek: And that guy that sold them to me reassured me they would.

Trust, no one!!

I've been like '29 Cabriolet in the sense all I do is shut off the gas don't even take the keys out. I figure if they do steal the car, they ain't gettin' more than a block or so away!

KGBnut 01-11-2018 01:09 PM

I remember this story from a few years back. I seem to recall that the guy didn't get it started, so keys and fuse would have made little difference. I think he just put in neutral and rolled.

California Travieso 01-11-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1577707)
That was actually Prineville, Oregon, not Florida, which is 3600 miles away. Note the Oregon plates. I recall this from our local news a couple years ago.

Someone posted that here on the Barn several years ago. I remember the discussion, although I can't remember if I ate breakfast this morning!

David Serrano

Crankster 01-11-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1577707)

I noticed the Sagebrush on the bank there first thing, I don't think that grows in Florida. Anyhoo, what a sad story. The penalties for car theft used to have some teeth. No more, or this would be a lot more rare than it is.

WTSHNN 01-11-2018 02:34 PM

Here is the discussion about this theft from back in 2014.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...t=stolen+coupe

-Tim

wingski 01-11-2018 02:42 PM

The audacity of anyone even touching someone else’s A without permission is beyond me. Someone stealing someone’s A should be treated like a horse thief was 150 years ago. I don’t think there’d be many, but a few bodies would be hanging around.

Mike

P.S. It was Prineville, Oregon

jim galli 01-11-2018 02:45 PM

Even Model A's are generating "fake news"

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-11-2018 03:51 PM

DRUG DEALERS should be HANGED, alongside Horse or Car THIEVES!!!!
Bill Drastic

Sal 01-11-2018 04:17 PM

They should beat that S.O.B. to death for doing that!!!

Chuck Sea/Tac 01-11-2018 05:29 PM

So, if you steal a car, grand theft, slap on the wrist. Protect your property and a good chance of prosecution and jail time. Too many people in jail, but for gods sake don’t make them work to pay for themselves. Just let the small timers out early. And don’t forget. That’s why you have insurance. (And why it’s a little high)

Hoogah 01-11-2018 06:03 PM

Different car, different circumstances (more interesting?), but same result - in the drink! A story from a few years back:
https://sputniknews.com/art_living/2...ake-collector/

Elcastor 01-11-2018 07:48 PM

I heard that the local Bend, Oregon Model A club was helping to repair the model A.