The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting GAZ B engine "barn find" in Russia. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236909)

M2M 01-10-2018 12:18 PM

Interesting GAZ B engine "barn find" in Russia.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFBUZfIp4U

Seller says in video that it is/was fitted with a magneto? (in the comments section he wrote he sold it for 21000 RUB).

Also, here's an interesting video of an GAZ engine tear down and rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKArCieTs8o

3.6rs 01-10-2018 02:13 PM

Re: Interesting GAZ B engine "barn find" in Russia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1577255)
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal]See:

Seller says in video that it is/was fitted with a magneto? (in the comments section he wrote he sold it for 21000 RUB).

I think that this video maker has Parkinson !

SeaSlugs 01-10-2018 03:15 PM

Batteries and particularly the lead itself was more useful as "projectiles" than starting and running a car/truck/tractor or stationary engine during that time period...Exhaust manifold goes up so I'm leaning towards stationary engine or tractor type vehicle. Possibly boat but would be hard to hand crank a boat to start it.

Synchro909 01-10-2018 05:47 PM

What am I missing? I didn't see any oiling holes in those main bearings. Also that fan looks a bit wobbly.
An interesting project, especially if they had retained the magneto.
Thanks, M2M.

hardtimes 01-10-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1577255)
See:

Also, here's an interesting video of an GAZ engine tear down and rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKArCieTs8o

Hey M2M,
What is that in US money ? I'm thinking $368.00 or so ! If so, and that is a 'perfect' gaz B block, I'd get it and if a perfect block, it should have a C type crank and rods ect to make the deal even better.
HOWEVER, it appears to be a hunk of rusty iron sitting out in weather. Ergo, without a teardown...I'd pass on it.
Of course, that is also if it were next door and not in Russia:).

Synchro909 01-10-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1577408)
Hey M2M,
What is that in US money ? I'm thinking $368.00 or so ! If so, and that is a 'perfect' gaz B block, I'd get it and if a perfect block, it should have a C type crank and rods ect to make the deal even better.
HOWEVER, it appears to be a hunk of rusty iron sitting out in weather. Ergo, without a teardown...I'd pass on it.

There's no saying the Russian B blocks were as prone to cracking as the US ones so who knows?

Terry, NJ 01-10-2018 08:33 PM

M2M, I didn't know the way to say "Garage Tools" in Russian was Garage Tools! I'm finding more and more cognates all the time. I still couldn't understand a word they said in the video. Pronunciation has a lot to do with it. Was that truck the one they pulled off the lake bottom in your last posting ? 73 Goda= 73 years, 1944, the year I was born!
Terry

Corley 01-10-2018 08:52 PM

Why does that "magnito" look more like an oil pump, connected to that oil filter?

hardtimes 01-11-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1577437)
There's no saying the Russian B blocks were as prone to cracking as the US ones so who knows?

Well, so I'm saying that the Russian B blocks were not prone to cracking !
I'm running one for a dozen or more years now and warmed up and run hard. I also know others who use same and never have experiences any problems. Mine was NOS and in cosmoline when I got it. Just my opinion that it appeared to be as good or maybe heavier than USA built. Of course any used B block would have had metal flaking off of cooling system for 80 or so years, whereas my GAZ was new.

Of course, I don't let it overheat by letting it run out of coolant and/or subject it to freezing with water in it. These and other such abuse will tend to ruin blocks.

M2M 01-13-2018 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1577408)
Hey M2M,

1 USD = 60 RUB so you're correct about the price. A fair price I think assuming the block isn't damaged; also my guess this stationary engine was made post-WW2 making it less valuable than one made prewar. It must be remembered that Soviet made classic cars are very expensive because of the supply/demand equation. There were only 42000 GAZ-A made from 1932-1936; less than 20 have survived with many of these being incorrect or poorly restored. One million GAZ-AA were made from 1932-1950 but again, very few of these have survived. Until 1986 all trucks were government property (they could not be sold to individuals), so when these trucks broke down they were scrapped.

Attachment 346548

Hardtimes, what's the story of how you ended up finding/buying a NOS GAZ B block?

Terry, NJ 01-13-2018 06:07 PM

Very Interesting! On many levels! I was watching the video where they compared the Jeep Wrangeler and the GAZ 66 (?) Almost made me homesick for the South Jersey Pines again. The pines and the sand (pine sand) I really had to think whether the video was shot in Jackson. And the same problems with traction. The GAZ ran first and got mired in a couple of times, but the driver was able to free it. Then the much newer Jeep (Russian version) was run through the "Course". I figured Here it comes the inevitable "Russian is better!" crap we've all seen before. The Jeep is junk! But surprisingly, the jeep seemed to do alright! Of course that was only visual, There was a running commentary in Russian that I got one word in fifty. In other videos I saw of GAZ 67b, they seemed to use a Ford "B" engine up until fairly modern times. Then I started the video about the 47 Packard, (ZIM, ZIL ?) and then my wife called me to supper.
Terri

M2M 01-15-2018 12:22 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1578787)
In other videos I saw of GAZ 67b, they seemed to use a Ford "B" engine up until fairly modern times.

Attachment 346804

Attachment 346805

Attachment 346806

Attachment 346807

Attachment 346808

The GAZ 67b (1943-1953) is the "Last of the Mohicans", so to speak, in GAZ using Ford A/B parts; a B motor, top section of the hood from an A, instruments from an A, etc.

Perfect car for a Model A guy who wants 4x4. You can a buy nice one in Russia/Ukraine for about USD 15000.
They're not bad off-road, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWCrxkrt5k

Interestingly, these were used by the North Koreans to take on US and Australian forces during the Korean War.

Attachment 346809
Attachment 346810

Brendan 01-15-2018 09:13 AM

what a trip! i looked at some videos on youtube, they have a Model A dash and banjo front and rear end. are there a lot of these over there

Terry, NJ 01-15-2018 01:05 PM

You just told me what I saw, many years ago, in a Ford dealership in Lakewood, NJ. This was sometime in the 1970s. The dealer had taken in a collection of A s and there was this military type, jeep type of vehicle in the collection. I was not into Mod.A s at the time, but I had never seen or heard of a Military A, especially one with a split windshield. Now I realize it must have been one of these GAZs.
Terry

M2M 01-15-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 1579486)
are there a lot of these over there

These jeeps are not super rare, there are always a dozen or so for sale at any one time, but finding a nice and correct one at a sensible price is not easy.

SeaSlugs 01-15-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1579769)
These jeeps are not super rare, there are always a dozen or so for sale at any one time, but finding a nice and correct one at a sensible price is not easy.

Do they rust out bad like our jeeps?

M2M 01-16-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1579776)
Do they rust out bad like our jeeps?

Rust can be a problem but it's more the case that many of these jeeps that are for sale have been beaten to near death and/or the engine has been replaced with a later model GAZ engine and/or it's had a home made amateur conversion into a closed car.

It would be cool to have one of these in the USA and take it to a MAFCA or MARC event for judging :D

Terry, NJ 01-16-2018 09:39 AM

Is there a supply of GAZ/Ford B engines? Or is the supply very limited? I'd like to get (With manuals in English) a Russian B engine if the costs are not too high. Your right, it would be cool!
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1580006)
Rust can be a problem but it's more the case that many of these jeeps that are for sale have been beaten to near death and/or the engine has been replaced with a later model GAZ engine and/or it's had a home made amateur conversion into a closed car.

It would be cool to have one of these in the USA and take it to a MAFCA or MARC event for judging :D

john charlton 01-16-2018 09:46 AM

I recently sold a model B cylinder head to a guy who had one of these Russian jeeps his had frost damage . The head I sold him was the Detroit/Dagenham one with the "C" embossed between the no2 and 3 spark plug location .As we know this was put there so stock men could not get confused with the "B" on the police head . As this situation would not arise in Russia I asked if the Russian head still had a "C" and sure enough it did . That would indicate the USA supplied molds were still being used .

John in cold sunny day Suffolk County England .

M2M 01-16-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1580009)
Is there a supply of GAZ/Ford B engines? Or is the supply very limited? I'd like to get (With manuals in English) a Russian B engine if the costs are not too high. Your right, it would be cool!
Terry

Finding a NOS GAZ B block is near impossible nowadays. Used engines are around but when you add shipping, import duties and other costs and fees the total price would likely be around $1000...at that price it's not worth it IMHO.

What makes more sense is buying a complete car in the right condition and shipping it in a 20' or 40' container to the USA. I have some good contacts in Russia who could possibly help in finding one if anyone is interested.

There is one of these in Australia and I personally know the owner and the car, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7E2GioDZBo

It has an amazing history, all documented. It was captured by Australian forces in a deadly ambush during the Korean War. It was then used by the Australians (photo exists of the jeep in Korea during the war). When the war ended it ended up back in Australia. The Defence Department sold it to farmer in the 1950s. A well known military vehicle collector found and restored it the 1980s with a visit the USSR to buy parts. Last I heard the car was for sale but because of the unique history of the vehicle the asking price was not a small amount of money.