The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '40 Pickup full restoration project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205069)

Cecil/WV 11-04-2016 03:49 PM

Re: '40 Pickup full restoration project

I have never seen welting on the garnish moldings, including mine, but it wasn't original when I got it. When I was doing mine, I looked at a lot of '40-"41's and never saw any.

rotorwrench 11-04-2016 05:29 PM

If the louver in the garnish is for defrost function, they may have put something there to seal the air flow a bit. It may have just been some sort of anti-squeek though. This is just speculation on my part.

41panelmark 11-05-2016 06:57 AM

Wow!!

scooder 11-06-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1380415)
If the louver in the garnish is for defrost function, they may have put something there to seal the air flow a bit. It may have just been some sort of anti-squeek though. This is just speculation on my part.

Either side of the defrost louver, inside the garnish moulding was a small piece of soft sponge rubber that sealed the defrost are from the rest of the inside of the garnish moulding.
Martin.

quickchange34 11-06-2016 08:40 PM

If you plan to show it what year did Henry start using clear. Was it 1940?. Just a thought .

40fordpu 11-10-2016 06:00 PM

Kube has been a great help over the last couple of years for me. So for that I just want to say "THANKS". Kind enough to send me emails and even suggest vendors. I go to a local '40 ford show in SoCal - Anaheim, CA and I wish more guys there were like him. As a novice restorer (actually my first build - 40 1/2 ton started at the age of 28 and still building), there is a lack of interest in passing knowledge. Top notch work!!!! I will be following (and asking questions along the way as always!!!)
Question 1. - HAHA - Do you have the horn and bracket yet? What does it look like? Thanks

Kube 11-11-2016 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40fordpu (Post 1383092)
Kube has been a great help over the last couple of years for me. So for that I just want to say "THANKS". Kind enough to send me emails and even suggest vendors. I go to a local '40 ford show in SoCal - Anaheim, CA and I wish more guys there were like him. As a novice restorer (actually my first build - 40 1/2 ton started at the age of 28 and still building), there is a lack of interest in passing knowledge. Top notch work!!!! I will be following (and asking questions along the way as always!!!)
Question 1. - HAHA - Do you have the horn and bracket yet? What does it look like? Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. I feel certain I am not deserving of them but thanks nonetheless!

I had the horn but was lacking the correct bracket. Fortunately, a wonderful gentleman in New Zealand came to my rescue. Yes, New Zealand! Kind of neat to think the travels these old vehicles and parts have made in their "lives".
I've attached a couple of photos that hopefully will help you in your search.
Kind regards,
Mike

Kube 11-11-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil/WV (Post 1380349)
I have never seen welting on the garnish moldings, including mine, but it wasn't original when I got it. When I was doing mine, I looked at a lot of '40-"41's and never saw any.

After a lot more research spurned on by numerous responses suggesting there was authentically no welting, I have come to the conclusion that most likely there was in fact - no welting. Subsequently, I have removed it.
Thanks guys. I keep learning!

Kube 11-13-2016 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, I'd like some opinions please...
I have three different air filters for this pickup. The regular dry type, the usual oil bath and the heavy duty oil bath. I am seriously considering going with the HD oil bath. It is not often seen, is reasonable to believe a truck would have had one installed and well, what else am I gonna do with it? :)

Anyway, let me know what you think...thanks!

funrunr 11-13-2016 07:15 PM

You definitely will not want to put that on one of your cars, I think with a truck being a work vehicle, it should have the heavy duty accessories. It looks good too!

hotcoupe 11-13-2016 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I vote for the heavy duty air cleaner, it makes the truck lookso heavy duty.

Binx 11-13-2016 08:29 PM

I never noticed that the '40's harness splice cover is further outboard than the '41.

Lonnie

Kube 11-15-2016 08:35 AM

Thanks guys... looks like the HD it is :)

rotorwrench 11-15-2016 09:24 AM

After the dust bowl years, I bet that HD oil bath would have been popular with the farmers in the mid section of the country. It's definitely a fine specimen.

40fordpu 11-17-2016 06:32 PM

Kube/Guys

I noticed in one of your pics the cab sitting on top of the mounting wood. My wood from northern classic trucks came unfinished. Did you finish yours? Was there a "stain"/Paint or color they were done in?

Kube 11-17-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40fordpu (Post 1386416)
Kube/Guys

I noticed in one of your pics the cab sitting on top of the mounting wood. My wood from northern classic trucks came unfinished. Did you finish yours? Was there a "stain"/Paint or color they were done in?

Ford didn't go to too much trouble in 'finishing" the wood parts. Typically, items like floor boards, tool tray covers, cab mounting pieces, etc. were simply dipped in a mixture of used oils creating a blackish appearance.

To replicate that appearance I stain the wood pieces with MinWax Ebony. It takes two and sometimes three coats but the finish is nearly identical to some NOS floor boards I have.

Kube 11-19-2016 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quite some time ago, someone had requested a photo of the seat hinge. I apologize in that it took me so long to get these. However, here it is... hopefully it will help.

Roger/Sacramento 11-19-2016 06:06 PM

Left over from my '41 pickup restoration are the sheet metal strips that fasten the overhead upholstery to the cab. They attach just over the doors. They are perfect and actually painted to match my vehicle. My modern type upholstery job didn't use them. If anybody needs them give me a PM.

hotrodA 11-19-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1387332)
Quite some time ago, someone had requested a photo of the seat hinge. I apologize in that it took me so long to get these. However, here it is... hopefully it will help.

That was me. Thanks for the pic. Looks like I have yet ANOTHER issue from one of the previous owners.

Kube 11-19-2016 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodA (Post 1387414)
That was me. Thanks for the pic. Looks like I have yet ANOTHER issue from one of the previous owners.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Hey, I am certain you can make whatever is necessary.. Here's what I started with...and, it wasn't as pretty as the photo might allow.