The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Such A Joy (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168057)

twilder 05-05-2015 05:56 PM

Such A Joy

Just got done visiting my Mom at the nursing home. I have to say that I was never so overjoyed in my life as I watched the elderly residents there with her, some in wheelchairs sitting by the window looking at my A. They were smiling, crying and telling stories of when they were younger and rode in their Dad's Model A's. Several told me that it made their day. I'm so thankful, and so blessed.

Gold Digger 05-05-2015 06:07 PM

Re: Such A Joy

I lost my mother last September after a lengthy stay in the rest home. I remember the first time I drove my roadster pickup to see her the staff and some of the residents that saw me pull in all commented about my new pickup. Mom wanted to go see it so we went out front where it was parked. She said where's it at. I said right there in front of you. She said I wouldn't have that old thing.

Charles Coe 05-05-2015 06:50 PM

Our club has been doing displays several times a year at assisted living facilities. The staff reports that the residents talk about the cars for weeks and months after our visit. We're doing one this Sat.

Goldhardt 05-06-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Coe (Post 1080988)
Our club has been doing displays several times a year at assisted living facilities. The staff reports that the residents talk about the cars for weeks and months after our visit. We're doing one this Sat.

I've never thought about doing that. What a great idea for our club! Thanks!

Charlville 05-06-2015 02:02 AM

Lovely story and an excellent idea :)

My Dad is 78 and is where I got the car bug. He ran a scrap yard for 25 years so you can imagine all the fun I youngster would have had being given free reign amongst all the wrecks of various types ranging from military hardware to motorcycles! He lost my Mum a few years ago and hasn't been in the best of health, but when he comes up to our place for his weekly visit his face lights up when he sees the Model A in the garage :)

bobpo1 05-06-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Digger (Post 1080970)
I lost my mother last September after a lengthy stay in the rest home. I remember the first time I drove my roadster pickup to see her the staff and some of the residents that saw me pull in all commented about my new pickup. Mom wanted to go see it so we went out front where it was parked. She said where's it at. I said right there in front of you. She said I wouldn't have that old thing.

This one makes you understand why we all love Moms. God Love her.

amodel25 05-06-2015 07:45 AM

Many years ago, a group of us took our "A's to a retirement home that happened to be where my Grandmother was living. We were taking the residents on short rides in the cars. When they asked my Grandmother if she wanted a ride, her reply was "No, one of those cars belongs to my Grandson and I can ride in that old thing any day I want to".

Hoogah 05-06-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amodel25 (Post 1081205)
. . . When they asked my Grandmother if she wanted a ride, her reply was "No, one of those cars belongs to my Grandson and I can ride in that old thing any day I want to".

I think she was actually skiting! She was one up on her mates!

ian Simpson 05-06-2015 06:57 PM

Our club (The Edmonton Antique Car Club) has organised runs to senior's homes on a regular basis. This summer there are twelve scheduled. My wife and I find these to be the most fun of any event. Some of those old ladies make my 70 year old ears turn red when telling us what they did in the back seat of a Tudor!

Ian

29er 05-06-2015 11:43 PM

This thread inspired me to drive Henrietta (that's her over to the left) on my Meals-On-Wheels route today. Thanks guys! There's not a lot of room in the coupe for hot trays, cold trays, milk and dirty dishes, but we got by using the package shelf, floorboard space, rumble seat and rear luggage rack.

The only downside was it took longer than with my modern car because meal recipients wanted to tell me their own experiences with the Model A's in their past ('cept for one hard-core Packard guy who said he'd NEVER own a Ford!)

Today stirred a lot of memories for folks! And I gained a few useful tips.

Mike in Oregon

Synchro909 05-07-2015 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian Simpson (Post 1081547)
Our club (The Edmonton Antique Car Club) has organised runs to senior's homes on a regular basis. This summer there are twelve scheduled. My wife and I find these to be the most fun of any event. Some of those old ladies make my 70 year old ears turn red when telling us what they did in the back seat of a Tudor!

Ian

Reminds me of the time we had cars on display at a retirement home and a lady well into her 80's stood there silently reminiscing. You could see on her face that she was not only miles away but decades away as well. She plucked up the courage to ask if she could sit in the car so we opened the front door. "No", she said, "I'd like to sit in the back". Not a problem so we helped her in and you could she she was again miles and decades away. As she got out of the car, she said, "You know, I lost my virginity in the back of a car like this one!" We didn't know what to say to that but knew we had made her day.

Richard in Anaheim CA 05-07-2015 12:58 AM

I've never got a remark that specific but have had "many" comments from the old ladies
"We had so much fun in those rumble seats", always accompanied with one of "those" smiles.

Richard
Anaheim CA

CarlG 05-07-2015 10:41 AM

I came out from the local Carrs/Safeway store some time back, there was an 80+ yo lady standing next to my Pickup, just starring at it. She had the biggest grin on her face. Never said a word, but you had to know what she was thinking.

bikejunk 05-07-2015 08:17 PM

It was an 85 year old woman that first told me how her husband would move the shift lever down and out of the way --Huba huba oh you kid....

Cape Codder 05-07-2015 09:41 PM

Our club "MODEL A FORD CLUB OF CAPE COD" has been visiting nursing homes at least one a year for the past 5 or 6 years. The older people there seem to enjoy it very much.

Mike V. Florida 05-07-2015 09:54 PM

Our club does the same thing. Means a lot to see their eyes lite up what the see the cars.

Fred K-OR 05-07-2015 10:16 PM

A couple of years ago, we had a party here at our place. I had the opportunity to give a little old lady a ride in my huckster. It turned out that she was one month older than my huckster. She enjoyed the ride and has since passed away. A person has to take the opportunity to make someone happy when you have the chance.

Many good ideas mentioned above. Thanks guys for the ideas.

Charles Coe 05-09-2015 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We had a beautiful morning at the assisted living facility today. Here's a shot of some of the residents checking out the cars.

beechboy 05-10-2015 06:20 AM

Great stories,thanks for sharing

pgerhardt 05-10-2015 09:11 AM

At the other end of the spectrum, years ago I took my 1930 coupe to a local elementary school for a first grade class to check out. They were all incredibly excited and it was a terrific experience with just one slight down side. Every square inch of the car was covered with little finger prints!
Nothing a wash and wax could't take care of. :D