The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brake energizers:Good news,bad news. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109452)

Willit Stop 06-19-2013 11:31 AM

Brake energizers:Good news,bad news.

I ordered a brake energizer kit from C&G (#48-2043).Good people to deal with by the way.WOW! What a difference!$55 well spent.The install went quickly and I was so excited that I took my girlfriend for a little ride to show her how much better the brakes worked.I could lock up all fours if need be.It's almost like having power brakes.That's the good news.Here's the bad news:Now I have lipstick and mascara on the windshield and a girlfriend with a red forehead.

ford38v8 06-19-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Brake energizers:Good news,bad news.

So...What yhou're saying is that you made an impression on your girl friend? :eek: :rolleyes:

Willit Stop 06-19-2013 01:19 PM

I guess.....Now,does anyone know of a lipstick remover?:confused:

Vic Piano 06-19-2013 02:05 PM

It could have been worse... I thought you were going to say your wife found out that you took your girlfriend for a ride...:eek:;)

Henry/Kokomo 06-19-2013 05:01 PM

Sounds almost like the car didn't make an impression on your girl as much as your girl made an impression on the car. There are worse problems than removing lipstick!

j32 06-19-2013 08:53 PM

Hi , what year brakes are you working with ? Do you have a contact
number for C&G? The reason Im asking is I have 40 Ford backing plates
that I wanted to use on my project but not real crazy about them being
non energized. Also have 39 Lincoln backing plates ready to go but like
the look of the old Ford ones better.

Thanks - Joe

35fordtn 06-19-2013 10:52 PM

The energizers are for the Mechanical brakes

jbc 06-19-2013 11:18 PM

Who is C&G? And were can I buy there brake energizer? I have a Model "A" that needs help.
Thanks

Fe26 06-20-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbc (Post 673879)
Who is C&G? And were can I buy there brake energizer? I have a Model "A" that needs help.
Thanks

http://cgfordparts.com/

jbc 06-20-2013 04:04 AM

Thanks

Willit Stop 06-20-2013 11:28 AM

j32 PM sent

Fredb_ 07-18-2014 10:47 PM

I ordered a set for my 38 Deluxe and installed the set on the front to give it a test. There was a greatly noticeable difference in the stopping power on my first run. I still need to do some adjusting to eliminate a slight pull to the right. The kit "highly" suggested I buy and install the top springs for the 35-36 passenger saying it would increase the performance of the energizer. I ordered a set and attempted to put them in the front today, but the holes in the shoes do not really allow these springs to be used on my car. The length of the ends between the coil and the hook is too short and the hook itself will only fit into the hole with a great amount of persuasion. Anybody else try these on a 38 sedan?
Thanks, Fred

ford38v8 07-19-2014 01:47 AM

Fred, The stock '38 takes 4 different springs. Remove the top 2 and replace them with the single top spring from a '39.

Brad Boyer 07-19-2014 09:57 AM

Thanks Willit.... I too have a 36 that I was thinking about getting the CG kit...Some have said that the 36 already has this type of booster that was stock when built...Is that correct? My Deluxe coupe was built in May of 36....Thanks Brad Boyer

Fredb_ 07-19-2014 01:15 PM

Thanks Alan, I will look into getting four of those.
Fred

JR48 07-19-2014 01:45 PM

Longtime Fordbarner 'Flathead Ted' provides these brake energiser kitss through several of the major US suppliers of Model A & early V8 parts. They turn rod brakes into a really efficient stopping unit. Checkout his website for videos of him testing his 34 Sedan, locking up all 4 wheels in a haze of smoke! You could never do that with Henry's original version.

V12Bill 07-19-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j32 (Post 673809)
Hi , what year brakes are you working with ? Do you have a contact
number for C&G? The reason Im asking is I have 40 Ford backing plates
that I wanted to use on my project but not real crazy about them being
non energized. Also have 39 Lincoln backing plates ready to go but like
the look of the old Ford ones better.

Thanks - Joe

Lincoln Zephyr brakes are Bendix brakes and are self energizing.

FlatheadTed 07-19-2014 04:39 PM

The shoe springs offered by the venders are not ideal and are far to strong, in my instructions I out line how to correctly fit them .
Here's a link to a Demo Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJ5LUbmro0

russcc 07-19-2014 07:24 PM

What ever brake system you use, look out for those new drum brake shoe linings. You can't even lock them up. They don't stop worth squat compared to the old shoe liners. The NOS and NORS vendors have the good shoes and linings. Relined my '40 brakes myself with NORS linings, and the rivets that were supplied with them. Made in USA.

dean333 07-20-2014 08:38 AM

Seatbelts my friend! My girlfriend refused to ride in my 36 Fordoor until I installed them. I should have years ago and glad I finally did. I bought energizers a few months ago but haven't put them in yet, your post encourages me.