The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A pickup camper shell (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216615)

1955cj5 03-12-2017 09:41 PM

Model A pickup camper shell

It's not mine

It's not really a camper shell, more of just an enclosure...This has been listed and re-listed for years...

Wondering if they are common?

https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/6040546490.html

Synchro909 03-12-2017 10:48 PM

Re: Model A pickup camper shell

3 Attachment(s)
I made something vaguely similar. The sides are hinged across the top and supported on gas struts. The hanging flaps of fabric have lift the dots at the corners so they can act as blinds to keep prying eyes out.

SeaSlugs 03-12-2017 10:48 PM

id say like a slip in delivery enclosure... way to small for an adult to sleep in let alone put anything.

My guess is its probably not super common as when the model A's got phased out trucks got bigger so it wouldnt logically fit anything newer so alot probably got scraped. I can lok in my green book tonight that lists commercial stuff.

Floats 03-13-2017 02:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
Just after we got our RPU I talked my wife into spending the night in the back of our pickup. We slept inside our hangar and the open tailgate made it just about bearable.
We used a step ladder to get up there.
Where there is a will there is a way.

pookie55 03-13-2017 03:36 AM

That's funny without an air mattress my bones would have been stiff the next morning. And I think my feet would still be hanging out the end of the tailgate. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pookie55 03-13-2017 03:38 AM

Syncro908 I think that looks fantastic if you built that it looks great

Synchro909 03-13-2017 04:04 AM

It's a compromise. She wants a woody, I wanted a P/U.:)
When the doors are open, I slide a cover into a rope track above the door which comes over the top and down the edges of the doors. There is plenty of length to sleep in there and it's weather proof.

Synchro909 03-13-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookie55 (Post 1441992)
Syncro908 I think that looks fantastic if you built that it looks great

Thanks, Pookie55. It's a compromise. She wants a woody, I wanted a P/U.:)
When the doors are open, I slide a cover into a rope track above the door which comes over the top and down the edges of the doors. There is plenty of length to sleep in there and it's weather proof.

pookie55 03-13-2017 04:07 AM

Well it looks like the next best thing to a woody obviously not the same thing but I think it looks pretty Sharp

Big hammer 03-13-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1441950)
I made something vaguely similar. The sides are hinged across the top and supported on gas struts. The hanging flaps of fabric have lift the dots at the corners so they can act as blinds to keep prying eyes out.

Very nice! Well done!

Floats 03-13-2017 06:26 AM

Hi Pookie,
Yep, we had an air mattress, but we slept with our heads on the tail gate. In hind site, I suppose it would have been better with our pillows against the cab. And yes, our bones were cold and stiff for a few days.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-13-2017 09:51 AM

Better than sleeping in the back, under a TARP, with a crooked stick to hold it up!
Glad I had the stick, RAINED buckets that night!
Bill & Chief Dry

Ed 03-13-2017 01:25 PM

I agree, looks like an enclosure for a work truck. Perhaps it was custom made for a local phone company. Just a thought.

Vern 03-13-2017 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder if this is one of the Martin Parry type slip-on bodies that were available at the time to convert a pickup to a panel. If I was any closer, I'd buy it, and I don't even own a pick-up.

I'd love to see one of the panel type bodies for a roadster up close & personal.

Mad Mac 03-14-2017 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is my camper frame - it sleeps me comfortably, as I am only 5 foot eight. An improvement would be to make it extendable upwards to give more height.